RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Nashbar or Lezyne Pump?

I have a Nashbar L'Orange pump, and I'm very happy with it. I'm thinking about getting a second pump. I see that Nashbar has replaced the L'Orange with V.2. Should I get that, or one of the Lezyne pumps? If so, which one?

Fecal indicator
    no experience with Lezyne, but my Nashbar Big Red simply won't die...going on 25 years old and still works.

fwiw, the Nashbar Earl Grey pump gets decent reviews.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I have a Nashbar L'Orange pump, and I'm very happy with it. I'm thinking about getting a second pump. I see that Nashbar has replaced the L'Orange with V.2. Should I get that, or one of the Lezyne pumps? If so, which one?
    I still have an older L'Orange pump. Its a sturdy beast. I also have a Lezeyne steel floor pump with the dual-valve head. I find the chuck on the Lezeyne pump to be more secure. The Nashbar pump has the gauge mounted higher, which makes it easier to read. I think the newer Nashbar pump has it mounted on the base, however

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I went for the L'Orange. At $30, it was hard to beat. I'm afraid the Lezyne might be over-engineered. The ABS-2 head looks like a great idea and is probably very secure, but it might be overkill. Plus, I don't need anything that's extra fiddly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I just recently purchased a Lezyne Preasure Overdirve pump with the ABS-2 chuck and it's worth every cent. The ABS-2 chuck is by far the best chuck/head I have used. I still have my Topeak Joe Blow pro with the Smart Head chuck which is supposed to be pretty much the same pump as the l'Orange - or at least the head/chuck is. It's a pretty good and I really like it, but the Smart Head chuck is not nearly as secure as the ABS-2 and it's a bit jarring to remove. On some valves, I have to hold it just so to make sure no air leaks. The lever throw is very stiff and takes a bit of effort to open and close on a valve (at least on presta's). Also if you aren't careful, you can take off some skin on your fingers from hitting on spokes when removing the Smart Head chuck from your wheel. When opening the lever the Smart Head chuck flies off the valve. Part of that I believe is the effort required to throw the lever and pull the chuck off the valve. My wife struggles with it sometimes.

That is the Smart Head from a few years ago. The one on the current l'Orange pump on Nashbar looks a bit re-designed so it might be better behaved.

The ABS-2 once you do it a few times is surprisingly easy to operate. On presta valves, you put the chuck on the valve, pull the housing up and then screw it tight. Once it's on, it's on. It also fits better on short valve stems (if you have a deeper wheel and a short valve without an extension for example). My current wheel's I need a valve extension to work with the Smart Head chuck and not scratch the rim. The ABS-2 works without contacting the rim. Another plus for the ABS-2 head is the bleed valve so if you over inflate a bit, it's very easy to bleed off 1 or 2 psi without taking off the chuck and manually letting out air. The release is very simple and controllable and doesn't throw your hand down and the chuck just pops off the valve no yanking or pulling required.

I'm seriously considering getting the ABS-2 chuck to replace the Smart Head on the Topeak. It's only 18.00 from Lezyne. That might be a consideration for you as well. If you get a chance to try it out, I think you'll be surprised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I ended up getting the Nashbar. Here's my review of the L'Orange V.2:

I bought the V1 in 2011, and it still works like new. It's a big pump though, and I hate lugging it up and down the stairs, so I figured I'd get a second one for the basement. I was also so happy with the V1, that I was eager to try the "improved' version.

Here are some of the advantages of the new version:
    Larger dial gauge
    Wooden handle
    Pump head attaches and detaches more easily and loses less air
    The needle on the gauge doesn't bounce when pumping or letting out air
    Lighter weight
    Wider, more stable base
    Lower price
    Longer hose
    Smaller pump head
    Supposedly the pump head can bite a shorter valve. This was an issue with the V1, but I haven't determined yet.

Here are what I preferred about the V1:
    Nicer appearance
    Heavier
    Smoother action
    More volume per stroke
    Gauge at the top where it is easier to read

Overall, I think that the V1 looked felt like a better piece of workmanship and was more pleasurable to use, however the V2 technically functions better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I love the L'Orange as do my kids but it is annoying that that they can't provide the replacement gasket for the head, had to buy head assembly/hose and all. Even thought very price well it seems a waste.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyup View Post
    I love the L'Orange as do my kids but it is annoying that that they can't provide the replacement gasket for the head, had to buy head assembly/hose and all. Even thought very price well it seems a waste.
    Had a similar thing happen with my Topeak with the same smart head chuck. The original L'Orange pumps supposedly had the same chuck. Was able to get a replacement o-ring that fit from the hardware store (if that is what was wrong). Rebuild kits are available see here: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Rebuil.../dp/B001PTCTL8.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tinball View Post
    Had a similar thing happen with my Topeak with the same smart head chuck. The original L'Orange pumps supposedly had the same chuck. Was able to get a replacement o-ring that fit from the hardware store (if that is what was wrong). Rebuild kits are available see here: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Rebuil.../dp/B001PTCTL8.
    Thanks, but got the o ring covered it is the gasket that wears. Oddly enough right now Nashbar has on sale the first and second version pump heads with hose for $6. It just burns me as wasteful that you simply can not buy the gasket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyup View Post
    Thanks, but got the o ring covered it is the gasket that wears.
    I believe I know which part now. I've had people use gasket and o-ring for the same part before - sorry for the confusion.

It just burns me as wasteful that you simply can not buy the gasket.
    Definitely. I'm with you in that I would rather repair than throw the whole thing out for one stinking cheap part.