RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Need to make proper upgrade decision. Help Please

Bike novice seeking to make the proper upgrades to mid 80's cannondale. Recently I bought shimano 105 STI Shifters to replace frame shifters and shimano 8 speed hg 70 cassette 11-30 to replace 7 speed. I need to know would it be a good idea replacing the sontour superbe pro crankset and if so what would be a nice cransket for the parts aforementioned. Currently the bike has ambrosio 19" extra wheels and a shimao altus a10 rear derailer. Which crankset (shimano 2200 crankset or shimano 105) would be compatible with the current rear derailer . Or would i have to upgrade to new rear derailer. Would i have to replace the rear wheel or buy a new bottom bracket if i replaced the crank. I need some guidance in considering the proper move to make the right decision. Any expertise on the subject would be greatly appreciated in advance. I've enjoyed reading the forum for years and it inspired me to start riding. Truly a great step in my life. Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Saving money

Quote Originally Posted by cycle9
    Bike novice seeking to make the proper upgrades to mid 80's cannondale. Recently I bought shimano 105 STI Shifters to replace frame shifters and shimano 8 speed hg 70 cassette 11-30 to replace 7 speed. I need to know would it be a good idea replacing the sontour superbe pro crankset and if so what would be a nice cransket for the parts aforementioned. Currently the bike has ambrosio 19" extra wheels and a shimao altus a10 rear derailer. Which crankset (shimano 2200 crankset or shimano 105) would be compatible with the current rear derailer . Or would i have to upgrade to new rear derailer. Would i have to replace the rear wheel or buy a new bottom bracket if i replaced the crank. I need some guidance in considering the proper move to make the right decision. Any expertise on the subject would be greatly appreciated in advance. I've enjoyed reading the forum for years and it inspired me to start riding. Truly a great step in my life. Thank you.
    Are you sure that the 8s cassette will fit on your existing hub? My memory is that it won't, but I'm not sure, so you might need a new hub and to rebuild the wheel. You are spreading the frame to insert an 8 speed cassette, since 8s is 130 mm spacing and 7s might have been 126 (though some were wider). This might mean you have to spread the frame to get the wider wheel in, which might not be a great idea on a 25 year old aluminum frame. Probably no need to replace the crankset, though the narrower 8 speed chain might be happier on new chainrings. If you do replace the crank, there are few square taper cranksets still on the market, so a new BB would be in order. Cranksets don't care which rear derailleur you have; there is no compatibility concern. Your rear derailleur might work OK; you'll have to try it and see how it works.

The key point for you to consider is whether it is worth it to invest so much (or anything) in upgrading a 25 year old bike. Most people would say that you should just ride your bike as is while setting aside your money to invest in a new bike a couple of years down the road when you have committed to cycling and would be much more knowledgeable about what you might want in a new bike.

BTW, fancy fonts and bold text don't make for easy reading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

700 C wheel on an old frame

I think you can do it on a 25 year old bike. I've got a Peugeot from around 1979 and I put on an Ultegra cassette attached to a Bontrager wheel off my Trek 1500. (I use this bike for city commute). I had to stretch the seat stays just a tad, but have had no real issues with it. I think you're fine. I'll bet you that when you go to a bike shop, they will say it can't be done. But bike shops are generally full of **** anyways, so don't worry. I did it and we all know Cannondale makes a quality bike so I wouldn't worry about strain on the seat stays.

Militant commuter
    Don't forget that the Peugeot is a steel frame (I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure I'm right) and the Cannondale is aluminum. Steel is far more forgiving of the "spreading" you described.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle9
    Keep the crankset. It was top of the line in it's time and it's still not out dated. It's basically a couple metal bars which don't wear out.
    If the bike was ridden quite a bit, getting a new rear derailleur wouldn't be a bad idea. Cranks have no pivots to wear out, while derailleurs have pivots and springs that get loose after years of use. If the derailleur isn't performing good, you won't enjoy the performance of the new cassette. It's be like wearing shoes with new soles and broken laces.
    Ambrosio makes good wheels. If they're still straight and the hubs and braking surface are in good condition, keep them.
    A new bottom bracket might be in order since the bearings do wear out with use.
    If you visit the Park Tool website you can easily learn what's needed to determine whether your hubs, shifters and other parts are in good working order. You can easily learn how to replace shifter and brake cables, brake pads, etc.
    $20 $17 on a few cone wrenches and an Allen key set. Again, the Park Tool site will be a good guide for choosing the right size wrenches and keys.
    If you invest in these tools and make the effort to learn how the bike works, you'll be able to determine for yourself whether a part needs to be replaced or how to repair it. This way, you don't have to put your trust in someone else, and you can spend more money on good parts rather than paying someone else. Believe it or not, knowing how to repair your own bike actually enhances your riding. You can relax and enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    i do appreciate all of your responses. I have a great deal to think about. your insight has provided a greater inspiration in me. damn i was told to upgrade to an 8 speed cassette and now i feel like i wasted money buying unnecessary parts. i was just looking to upgrade a 1985 canonndale rt 500. thats it. thought i would maximize its potential and now i discover all these different rules and protocols of biking. very interesting to say the least. im grateful for this blog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    oops i met 1985 cannondale st 500

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    sr 300

YEM
    Bearded Biker
    I'll second keeping the crankset....