RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Need replacement for Mavic Aksium bladed spoke

I just broke a spoke on a Mavic Aksium rear wheel. Any ideas where I can get a replacemnt just like it? It's bladed straight pull.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacracer
    I just broke a spoke on a Mavic Aksium rear wheel. Any ideas where I can get a replacemnt just like it? It's bladed straight pull.
    Unless you have a LBS that stocks them, odds are you'll have to call up Mavic and pay the $2-3 per spoke plus shipping.

Or search Google-

A site such as this..note to be careful in requesting the correct side and wheel spoke.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/ma...ium_spoke.html

This is why Mavic proprietary spoked wheels suck. They wallet-rape you for spares.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

It's Good to be The King
    Jan 2002
    I broke 3 Aksium spokes a couple of weeks back (tangled with the rear skewer of the bike in front of me in the avoidance of a charging canine). My LBS mechanic said the spokes were common and inexpensive. He replaced the spokes and trued the wheel for 17 bucks and had it back to me in 3 days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    You need to find a Mavic dealer. Go to their site and check and see which one's are in your area..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Mavic Aksium spokes

Hi there,

If you still need these spokes you can find them here

http://www.247cycleshop.com/shop/cat...aram=cid%3D%26

I hope this helps

Neil

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Local shops commonly have them, even the ones that don't retail mavic wheels.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo
    Local shops commonly have them, even the ones that don't retail mavic wheels.
    If they don't have them in stock they can be easily ordered.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I have the same wheels/spokes haven't had a problem yet but this info is helpful, thanks for posting and good luck on the issue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BobinCovington View Post
    I have the same wheels/spokes haven't had a problem yet but this info is helpful, thanks for posting and good luck on the issue
    Let's hope the OP had good luck. He only had 3.4 years to get this sorted out between his original post and today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    yeah I know...I always forget to look at those thread last updated dates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I broke one two weeks ago, it was replaced in 3 days for $25. I broke another last week--spoke is STILL on order. Good night, do they carve these things from blocks of steel?

.je
    makin' puppies
    Aug 2012

Question

Can a Sapim Leader or CX-Ray straight-pull spoke sub for one of these? I went to a couple of LBS near me, they don't have replacements, and also said they weren't able to order any. Macic's WTS is WTF!!
    Last edited by .je; 05-28-2017 at 05:23 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Can a Sapim Leader or CX-Ray straight-pull spoke sub for one of these? I went to a couple of LBS near me, they don't have replacements, and also said they weren't able to order any. Macic's WTS is WTF!!
    Ah...the joys of owning wheels that are completely proprietary. Aren't they great?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

.je
    makin' puppies
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, awesome. I just looked at the spoke, it has a nail-head end like the Sapim, but I don't know if that's a standard size. Is the straight-pull CX-Ray interchangeable with it? I could measure it if that helps.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Yeah, awesome. I just looked at the spoke, it has a nail-head end like the Sapim, but I don't know if that's a standard size. Is the straight-pull CX-Ray interchangeable with it? I could measure it if that helps.
    Nope, do a google image search for them. Enough differences that you need the proper Mavic spoke.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

.je
    makin' puppies
    Aug 2012
    I figured. The head of the Mavic is beveled for location, the gen-purpose Sapim doesn't have that feature, so anyone can design for it. I'll keep looking, surely these things break on people some time, like any spoke made of steel that actually can rust.

OK so I was able to compare the Aksium to a DT Swiss Champion (not flattened), and there are things similar, and things different. They both start out as 2.0mm wire. The DT is stainless, but the Aksium is not. Both weighed >just< over 7g on my digital kitchen scale, which doesn't have decimal place precision, but it took a couple of seconds to get to 7g, which makes sense, since they're the same wire size and length.

Most important difference was the head, which is about 1mm longer on the Aksium, and about 1.5mm larger in diameter than the DT. This gives it more bearing surface where it pulls against its seat, but both have the same 45 degree chamfer around the head (I was mistaken earlier), so the DT can sub in for the Aksium without any problem. In fact, I did find online that someone had done exactly that, used replacement straight-pull (DT Swiss) instead of the Aksium spokes.

My point is that any straight-pull spoke can substitute for the Aksium spoke. I've got only 1 just now, and it's been OK for the couple of rides. If it explodes, and kills me, I'll post about it right away.
    Last edited by .je; 06-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    eBay has them
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM