Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

New Bike in the Box..tools needed?

So I have a new bike in the box, Allez Triple, and the brake cables aren't in the calipers, and the stem and what not are not installed.

What are some tools that I can start purchasing that will help me maintain the bike and put this initial build together?

RoadBikeReview Member
    1. Allen key tri tool - 4,5, 6 or individual keys
    2. cable, housing cutter
    3. side cutter or a crimping tool to crimp cable ends
    4. pedal wrench
    5. spoke wrench
    6. truing stand or have LBS true wheels
    7. bike stand (not a must, but would definitely HELP)
    8. philips screwdriver
    9. grease

What else am I forgetting?
    Last edited by Optimus; 10-08-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Torque wrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bottom bracket cup tools.
    Steerer cutting guide.
    Teflon tape.
    Electrical tape.
    A mechanic.

Specialized doesn't let anyone sell bikes in boxes.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Militant commuter
    Patience and a willingness to look up the trickier tips on the Park Tools website.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Torque wrench.
    This.

Plus: patience, steadiness and the ability to ask for advice when you're really stuck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I think all you really need are some Allen wrenches. The ca les are already prepped and just need to go into the brake levers. Just need Allen wrenches for the stem.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    If it's brand new out of the box, you only need Allen wrenches and cable cutters. Maybe an extra tool for your pedals depending on what you buy or none at all.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Bottom bracket cup tools.
    Steerer cutting guide.
    Teflon tape.
    Electrical tape.
    A mechanic.

Specialized doesn't let anyone sell bikes in boxes.

You don't need this stuff for a new bike in the OEM box.

Only the basic allen's (3,4,5,6) and cable cutters. Maybe a pedal wrench if it comes with pedals.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    You don't need this stuff for a new bike in the OEM box.

Only the basic allen's (3,4,5,6) and cable cutters. Maybe a pedal wrench if it comes with pedals.
    You do at the shop I work at.

Buying a bike from a shop that didn't use a BB tool, spoke wrench or torque wrench? Buyer beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you don't have the tools and need to ask on the internets you probably need a mechanic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You do at the shop I work at.

Buying a bike from a shop that didn't use a BB tool, spoke wrench or torque wrench? Buyer beware.
    +1 ^ the op did say assemble and maintain which on occasion and depending on how anal you are could mean removing the bb. But def a torque wrench esp with carbon.

Add carbon paste to your list.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    If it's brand new out of the box, you only need Allen wrenches and cable cutters. Maybe an extra tool for your pedals depending on what you buy or none at all.
    everyone is answering this question and they have no idea what actually needs to be done. brand new boxed bikes from different manufacturers and even models come in widely varying states of assembly. to just say " allen wrenches and cable cutters" is pretty lame advice.
    the best response so far has been from velodog...if you don't know, you most likely need a bunch...and a mechanic to do the work. if the bike has a threaded bottom bracket, i'd pull it and make sure it's greased and then properly torqued. i drop the fork (if it's installed) and make sure everything is done correctly and greased. i check the cassette to make sure it's tight. most (not all) of the time you'll have to tape the bars.
    some bike only require basic work, but others are pretty much building from frame up.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    everyone is answering this question and they have no idea what actually needs to be done. brand new boxed bikes from different manufacturers and even models come in widely varying states of assembly. to just say " allen wrenches and cable cutters" is pretty lame advice.
    the best response so far has been from velodog...if you don't know, you most likely need a bunch...and a mechanic to do the work. if the bike has a threaded bottom bracket, i'd pull it and make sure it's greased and then properly torqued. i drop the fork (if it's installed) and make sure everything is done correctly and greased. i check the cassette to make sure it's tight. most (not all) of the time you'll have to tape the bars.
    some bike only require basic work, but others are pretty much building from frame up.
    I agree on both counts. As someone stated, Specialized doesn't ship bikes in a box to customers, so there's more to this story, and the history of the bike is unknown.

That given, IMO the 'safe' answer is to advise the OP to have a reputable shop do the initial assembly/ adjusting/ tuning, then acquire the tools necessary to maintain the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the best response so far has been from velodog...if you don't know, you most likely need a bunch...and a mechanic to do the work. most (not all) of the time you'll have to tape the bars. some bike only require basic work, but others are pretty much building from frame up.
    Right NO one knows what they're talking about, because you're the only one who works at a shop and can't be wrong!!

First of all, the OP was asking about an Allez, do you know how pre-assembled Specialized bikes come? If all the OP wanted to do was put it together, then yes, he wouldn't need much more than a few allen keys and a cable cutter. Now, is that the proper way of doing it is another question. What does taping the bars have to do with any tools? Besides a pair of scissors? And Specialized bars are always taped from the factory.

No, Specialized doesn't shipped boxed bikes to customers, but the lbs may. Not to mention, the OP could've gotten the bike from a buddy who works @ a lbs, or fleebay. Does it really matter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I have never built a brand new bike out of a box, but I have been building old frame sets. I don't know if this will help you out, but your LBS or just about any google search will provide you with tool sets by Spin Doctor and/or Park tools for example. These kits have an array of tools. Some have more than others and the prices vary. For me, It was a perfect starter, but like I said I'm dealing with older frames that need help, not brand new high dollar frames and components. You might want to check them out if your going to build it yourself. Have patience.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    I heard it said that you need to pay tuition to learn how to work on bikes. You will either pay a school or you will pay the price to replace parts you ruined in the process of being self taught. There are two areas however you should farm out to an LBS if you are not really comfortable; bottom brackets and headsets; mess up one of these and you may destroy a frame. Good luck and make sure you have the right tools for the job; once you find out what the job is

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Right NO one knows what they're talking about, because you're the only one who works at a shop and can't be wrong!!

First of all, the OP was asking about an Allez, do you know how pre-assembled Specialized bikes come? If all the OP wanted to do was put it together, then yes, he wouldn't need much more than a few allen keys and a cable cutter. Now, is that the proper way of doing it is another question. What does taping the bars have to do with any tools? Besides a pair of scissors? And Specialized bars are always taped from the factory.

No, Specialized doesn't shipped boxed bikes to customers, but the lbs may. Not to mention, the OP could've gotten the bike from a buddy who works @ a lbs, or fleebay. Does it really matter?
    I am also a full time mechanic in a shop.

The point of both our posts is that no assumptions should be made about the quality of the pre-box build. The minimum number of tools needed to PROPERLY build a bike are the ones you need to get it right - which isn't predetermined by the brand or model. Most boxed bikes are haphazardly assembled. Only shops of the lowest standard would do the minimum to assemble them.

You'll note in my first post the last item is a mechanic. Being able to recognize what is or is not correct on a bike build is a skill (or tool) that is more important than any other.

I seem to bother people when I insist that bicycles are not toys and should be assembled and adjusted by competent people. Someone who has neither the knowledge nor imagination to determine the best tools for the job on their own is not competent to do that job. He or she can become competent through study, or rent someone else's competence, but bumbling through a build with the minimum possible knowledge is foolhardy.

Assembling and riding an expensive bike without skill or knowledge is a quick way to destroy that bike and end up in the hospital. Just getting rear derailleur set up wrong can shatter the seat stay and cause an awful crash.

I mention that Specialized doesn't sell bikes in boxes because the last time I encountered something like that it was stolen, and the buyer lost both bike and what they paid. At a minimum, Specialized has no reason to warranty any bike that wasn't sold by a dealer, and no dealer is allowed to sell unassembled bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am also a full time mechanic in a shop.

The point of both our posts is that no assumptions should be made about the quality of the pre-box build. The minimum number of tools needed to PROPERLY build a bike are the ones you need to get it right - which isn't predetermined by the brand or model. Most boxed bikes are haphazardly assembled. Only shops of the lowest standard would do the minimum to assemble them.

You'll note in my first post the last item is a mechanic. Being able to recognize what is or is not correct on a bike build is a skill (or tool) that is more important than any other.

I seem to bother people when I insist that bicycles are not toys and should be assembled and adjusted by competent people. Someone who has neither the knowledge nor imagination to determine the best tools for the job on their own is not competent to do that job. He or she can become competent through study, or rent someone else's competence, but bumbling through a build with the minimum possible knowledge is foolhardy.

Assembling and riding an expensive bike without skill or knowledge is a quick way to destroy that bike and end up in the hospital. Just getting rear derailleur set up wrong can shatter the seat stay and cause an awful crash.

I mention that Specialized doesn't sell bikes in boxes because the last time I encountered something like that it was stolen, and the buyer lost both bike and what they paid. At a minimum, Specialized has no reason to warranty any bike that wasn't sold by a dealer, and no dealer is allowed to sell unassembled bikes.
    Not every bike shop operates the same. I bought a schwinn and norco both in boxes. The sales man told me he needs a few days to build tune the bikes and I said can't wait I will do it myself. He didn't care as long as the money was in hand. Mind you your probably right they shouldn't but should we assume the op bought a stolen bike in a box? I still agree you need the common sense plus there are plenty of reading materials and videos on the internet. And who can forget patience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svard75 View Post
    Not every bike shop operates the same. I bought a schwinn and norco both in boxes. The sales man told me he needs a few days to build tune the bikes and I said can't wait I will do it myself. He didn't care as long as the money was in hand. Mind you your probably right they shouldn't but should we assume the op bought a stolen bike in a box? I still agree you need the common sense plus there are plenty of reading materials and videos on the internet. And who can forget patience.
    Our assumptions aren't important. The fact that it is in a box should be something that the OP considers for himself, knowing (now) that it is highly irregular.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post

you're writing this like 'if all the OP wanted to do was put it together and hang it on the wall...'
    really trying not to sound like a complete *ss here, but do you actually work on bicycles for a living? it sure doesn't sound like it. slamming the advice of multiple people that do, and are pretty good at what they do, while advising the OP to take the easy (and possibly unsafe) way of doing the job is not a great idea. if you don't understand this, there's no use in any of us trying to help you figure it out.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Anyone who assembles a bicycle with only some Allen keys and cable cutters gets what he/she deserves.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    I heard it said that you need to pay tuition to learn how to work on bikes. You will either pay a school or you will pay the price to replace parts you ruined in the process of being self taught.
    That's dumb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    That's dumb.
    It isn't dumb, just not completely accurate. It is a thoughtful proverb to underline the fact that you can't slap a bike together without knowing what you're doing, and you can't just "figure it out".

I built my first bike when I was 17, and did it with Bicycling's mechanic book. I still have it 22 years later and I really wouldn't have built it much different - but I found out in the years since that I have a high aptitude. And more importantly, I actually read all the instructions in the book and that came with the components. Most of the posts I see on this forum by the DIYers don't sound like they are attempting to read anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you're writing this like 'if all the OP wanted to do was put it together and hang it on the wall...'
    really trying not to sound like a complete *ss here, but do you actually work on bicycles for a living? it sure doesn't sound like it. slamming the advice of multiple people that do, and are pretty good at what they do, while advising the OP to take the easy (and possibly unsafe) way of doing the job is not a great idea. if you don't understand this, there's no use in any of us trying to help you figure it out.
    Mr. internet macho man ... perhaps a cold shower will cool the fire!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast