cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member

New Campagnolo Triple Question

Has anyone used the new Veloce or Centaur long cage derailleurs yet?
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No, but what's the real question? Just the same RD, with a longer cage. I have used Campy 10 long cage RDs and they work the same as the shorter ones, just more wrap capacity. Many people don't seem to realize that the shifting occurs between the upper jockey pulley and the cassette, so shifting performance is no different. The longer cage just takes up the extra chain slack - that can occur slowly and have no effect on power transmission.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    No, but what's the real question?
    That was the real question. I'm looking for input on the new long cage derailleurs.
    Just the same RD, with a longer cage. I have used Campy 10 long cage RDs and they work the same as the shorter ones, just more wrap capacity. Many people don't seem to realize that the shifting occurs between the upper jockey pulley and the cassette, so shifting performance is no different. The longer cage just takes up the extra chain slack - that can occur slowly and have no effect on power transmission.
    I do understand how a derailleur works. Seeing as this is completely new model I'd like to ask before I buy. Thanks for the answer though.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

duh...

Since the cage length only adds wrap capacity, what do you expect? Kind of of a dumb question, unless you're mixing shifters. There is some evidence that the RD's made to be used with powershift levers may not have enough spring tension to make good shifts to smaller cogs, if ultratorque shifters are used.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Since the cage length only adds wrap capacity, what do you expect? Kind of of a dumb question, unless you're mixing shifters. There is some evidence that the RD's made to be used with powershift levers may not have enough spring tension to make good shifts to smaller cogs, if ultratorque shifters are used.
    Actually, I'm using a set of 2000 - 2006 Ergo levers.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Yes, like one more poster in this thread, I have not tried the new Campy long cage derailleur. I have, however, used several Campy long cage derailleurs in the past. My assessment -- 1) they shift slightly more slowly than the short cage ones, though not enough to matter. 2) perhaps more important, they hold the chain loosely enough to make it so that loose-chain situations, such as small-cog/small ring combos, are more likely to cause the chain to slap the chain stay when you go over a bump.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Yes, like one more poster in this thread, I have not tried the new Campy long cage derailleur. I have, however, used several Campy long cage derailleurs in the past. My assessment -- 1) they shift slightly more slowly than the short cage ones, though not enough to matter. 2) perhaps more important, they hold the chain loosely enough to make it so that loose-chain situations, such as small-cog/small ring combos, are more likely to cause the chain to slap the chain stay when you go over a bump.
    Thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11