Thread: New Floor Pump

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

New Floor Pump

Well after 11 yrs my Bontrager floor pump broke. Leaking air up under the gauge area. So......I would like to buy a new one. I'm sure there are some threads about "Best Floor Pumps" but search came up with nothing.

Looking for suggestions for a New Floor Pump
    to use at home.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    11 years?? Hah! I don't think I've ever had a pump last more than half that long without something going wrong.

The one I have now is branded by Cannondale, but who knows who actually makes it. The Schraeder chuck recently went south, so I can no longer use it for my mountain bike. Too bad, as I like the high volume of air it puts out.

I had a pump by Park Tool that worked really well for 5 years until it self-destructed. I had a Specialized pump that didn't last a year before the shaft and base separated. It is still usable as a back-up, but I have to put the shaft back on every time it blow off.

Avoid Topeak Joe Blow. I see so many people having problems with those from day 1.

From what I understand, seals go bad after a certain amount of time. Chucks break too. You may want to see if you can get replacement seals for your pump since it has served you so well. If not, I think 11 years speaks for replacing with another Bontrager pump.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've had this one for about 7 years and it still works fine.
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Cfloor-pumps

I use it twice a week maybe, so not a huge test, but I bought it based on a high volume bike shop telling me that's what they use because it doesn't crap out like others they'd tried.

Off course I have no idea if they are still made exactly the same as they were back then. But if they haven't cheapened it I can say for sure it works well for a long time.

Fecal indicator
    have to give some props to the Nashbar pump I bought almost 25 years ago...the model (Big Red Pump) is no longer offered, but it's a $19 item that is still working.

I even top off the tires on my car with it every now and then.

a google search shows their Earl Grey model gets pretty decent reviews...might be worth a look.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    11 years??
    Yep...bought it in 2009 I think....its been used alot.
    Its leaking under the guage area and I see no way to replace seal or anything .
    Its been a good pump other than I never liked the pump head

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Depending on the pump model, it should have either have a washer seal or an o-ring seal where the hose screws into the valve body. You might want to check the washer/o-ring to see if it has disintegrated. Mine on a similar age bontrager pump had o-rings at the pump head and the valve body where the hose screwed in, and both went bad/blew up this week. A trip to Ace hardware with the hose and $0.75 later and I had new o-rings and a working pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Bontrager Super Charger - www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com

I know a bit pricey, but the chuck on this is magic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    11 years?? Hah! I don't think I've ever had a pump last more than half that long without something going wrong.

Avoid Topeak Joe Blow. I see so many people having problems with those from day 1.
    I think I've read of reported problems with just about every type of pump out there. I've had my share of short lived pumps or pumps that weren't up to the task.

But my current Joe Blow (their second best pump offering of the time) is 10 years old now, and is proving to be the most reliable pump I've owned. It gets used multiple times a week. About once a year I have to re-hand tighten the nut at the top of the pump else it will leak. The pin in the auto-sensing chuck lever needed to be tapped back in place once in that 10 years. They no longer appear to make the exact same looking model I have, but the JoeBlow Pro DX appears to be the current equivalent. Perhaps mine was an anomaly, but should this one ever die, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Banned forever.....or not
    My 30 year old Silca Pista still works like new. In those 30 years I had to replace the leather pump gasket once ($5), and about 6 or 7 rubber chuck gaskets (used to be $1)....I got the pump on sale for $29 from CC.......You can get the new and improved version for $235. (aluminum body instead of steel)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desaljs View Post
    Bontrager Super Charger - www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com

I know a bit pricey, but the chuck on this is magic.
    Looks like my $50 (5 years ago) black / less shiny Bontrager pump still work like new, knock on wood.

If you got 11 years out of a pump with no repairs, why not go back with the same pump, not getting much better than that probably.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    >> 11 years??
    > Yep...bought it in 2009 I think....

Hmm, isn't it 2017 right now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    >> 11 years??
    > Yep...bought it in 2009 I think....

Hmm, isn't it 2017 right now?
    Math isn't my strong suit 😁
    I've had it a long time anyway.

Well two O rings $1.27 and it's working now. Darn it....Put the new pump on hold for now.
    Oh well... Saved my money for something else.👍

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    My 30 year old Silca Pista still works like new. In those 30 years I had to replace the leather pump gasket once ($5), and about 6 or 7 rubber chuck gaskets (used to be $1)....I got the pump on sale for $29 from CC.......You can get the new and improved version for $235. (aluminum body instead of steel)
    Same here. Mine is decades old and on its second leather washer and maybe 3rd rubber grommet. If you use tubes with smooth valve stems, the grommet lasts a VERY long time.

Banned forever.....or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Same here. Mine is decades old and on its second leather washer and maybe 3rd rubber grommet. If you use tubes with smooth valve stems, the grommet lasts a VERY long time.
    Since I changed to using Michelin tubes, the rubber chuck gasket lasts around 7-10 years........I just checked, and it's the "Ultimate" Silca pump ($500) that has an aluminum body.....The "cheap" one ($235) still has a steel body.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Since I changed to using Michelin tubes, the rubber chuck gasket lasts around 7-10 years.
    Yup. I'm a big fan of Michelin tubes because of the smooth valve stems. Plus they only require about 3 pump strokes per week to keep the pressure up. Pretty good for a 70 gm inner tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since I changed to using Michelin tubes, the rubber chuck gasket lasts around 7-10 years........I just checked, and it's the "Ultimate" Silca pump ($500) that has an aluminum body.....The "cheap" one ($235) still has a steel body.
    Yup. I'm a big fan of Michelin tubes because of the smooth valve stems. Plus they only require about 3 pump strokes per week to keep the pressure up. Pretty good for a 70 gm inner tube.
    I agree with both of these good men about both the Silca pumps and Michelin tubes with the smooth stems. With this combination there is no reason to look for anything else, Set for Life.

I know a shop that has a NOS Silca pump for a reasonable price, and every time I'm there I am tempted to buy it, but the one I have is sure to still be working when I'm, well never mind.
    Too old to ride plastic

Use my Apps :)
    I have a really old Joe Blow that's been pretty bulletproof. The chuck got a little worn and was cheaply and easily replaced using a rebuild kit from Amazon.

Topeak's new Twin Turbo looks interesting - It's shown at about 5:23 into the video linked. Could be a long time until we see it or a fortune when it does show up.

https://youtu.be/QAB1SvyEpZc?t=5m23s
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My Lezyne works great, but I think there may be a thread around here that says otherwise...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    Topeak's new Twin Turbo looks interesting - It's shown at about 5:23 into the video linked. Could be a long time until we see it or a fortune when it does show up.

https://youtu.be/QAB1SvyEpZc?t=5m23s
    The shaft is aero shape. That should save a few tenth of second during the final few psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    have to give some props to the Nashbar pump I bought almost 25 years ago...the model (Big Red Pump) is no longer offered, but it's a $19 item that is still working.

I even top off the tires on my car with it every now and then.

a google search shows their Earl Grey model gets pretty decent reviews...might be worth a look.
    Kutos to NASHBAR as well.... I purchased the Nashbar L'Orange V.2 Floor Pump about 5/6 years ago and it works with no issues

Nashbar L'Orange V.2 Floor Pump - G.O.T.D. April 2013 - Bicycling Magazine

The looks have changed a little bit but the functionality im sure is the same, best pump I ever owened and take a beating too.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I agree with both of these good men about both the Silca pumps and Michelin tubes with the smooth stems. With this combination there is no reason to look for anything else, Set for Life.

I know a shop that has a NOS Silca pump for a reasonable price, and every time I'm there I am tempted to buy it, but the one I have is sure to still be working when I'm, well never mind.
    I used a Silca pump for 30+ years as well. Then one day my neighbor came over with his kids BMX bike asking if he could borrow my pump. I took one look at the schraeder valves on the bike and said "no". He looked at me as if I was a true a$$hole and I had to explain that all my bikes used the "European" valve and my pump wouldn't fit the "American" valves on his kid's bike. That weekend I bought one of the new Bontrager pumps which automatically handles either valve and haven't used my ancient Silca since. Sorry...

BTW, my neighbor likes me now that he can use my pump.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    BTW, my neighbor likes me now that he can use my pump.
    What are his parents doing about a pump for their kid?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    What are his parents doing about a pump for their kid?
    Weren't you paying attention, bradkay has one that'll work on the kids bike now.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're looking for a shiny floor pump to sit there and look pretty, but not use - it'd be hard to beat the Lezyne CNC. But, if you're planning on using the pump to air up tires, I'd go with one of the ones mentioned above.