RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

New shifters (Campy?) on shimano 2300

Hi, been lurking for awhile and finally made an account!

I have a 2012 Specialized Allez compact with shimano 2300 groupset; I couldn't afford a better bike and ever since I've upgraded my wheels (now used bontrager race lite) and cassette (SRAM PG850) I haven't really felt the need for any major purchases except for the shifters.
    I HATE THOSE THINGS!
    Especially since I got to try a 105 equipped sirrus. Looking online I've seen that "apparently" Campy shifters will work with 8spd shimano derailleurs.
    My questions are: which Campagnolo shifters would work with my current setup, would other shimano (105) or Sram stuff work as upgrades, are there any years of products that have a better or worse chance of working (if i went used)? Thanks all!

RoadBikeReview Member
    No offense but it's pointless to induce such a complication to an entry level setup. You might as well hold out for a deal on Apex. You tested 105 and you're led to believe you'd like Campagnolo shifters?

Preferred shifting ergo does play its part, but when you're on what I assume is a low-budget, you really shouldn't get so picky which what does the same job as the rest. As it is, the Bontrager RL's aren't an actual upgrade, and neither is the PG850 unless you did a significant and ideal range change.

Some people just race with what they got. Sora, Triple, heavier wheels, I've seen it. And they're not slow either. Apparently they've had zero complaints while coping in their budget.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Why do you hate the 2300 shifters?
    Some people (like me) don't especially like the buttons, but don't Campy shifters have buttons also?

You can get new MicroShift 8-speed shifters for about $120, or you can get MS 10-speed shifters from Nashbar for $120. Those shifters and a new cassette (around $35) and chain will upgrade you to 10-speed.

But is it really worth it?
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    No offense but it's pointless to induce such a complication to an entry level setup. You might as well hold out for a deal on Apex. You tested 105 and you're led to believe you'd like Campagnolo shifters?

Preferred shifting ergo does play its part, but when you're on what I assume is a low-budget, you really shouldn't get so picky which what does the same job as the rest. As it is, the Bontrager RL's aren't an actual upgrade, and neither is the PG850 unless you did a significant and ideal range change.
    None Taken, all I've heard is that Campy shifters work with 8spd shimano RD's so I wanted to know how true this is in practice. I don't race, this bike is my crosstrainer for kickboxing and my main mode of transport and because of where i live i can spend a lot of time in the drops which is why I don't like the 2300 shifters. Campy Xenon 10spd shifters go for $100 sometimes less and allow shifting in drop similar to 105, so I wanted to know if it would work seeing as its something I could afford.

Some people (like me) don't especially like the buttons, but don't Campy shifters have buttons also?

You can get new MicroShift 8-speed shifters for about $120, or you can get MS 10-speed shifters from Nashbar for $120. Those shifters and a new cassette (around $35) and chain will upgrade you to 10-speed.

Well Xenon shifters are cheaper than both MS offerings and I believe I'd like them better than what I have now; so yes as long as the swap is do-able without too much modding its worth it (imo).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post

Very good advice.

But, yes, it might be worth it if the OP already likes the bike. Using the microshift, plus a little scrounging/ebay and he could have a ten speed with better ergos for maybe $140-$160(?). I think Microshift is on sale right now at Nashbar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    There's a difference, however, between Campy's thumb buttons and the ones on the 2300 (and old Tiagra). You can't reach Shimano's button from the drops. That's the problem he's trying to address.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Campy 10 speed right shifters do have the same average cable pull per shift (2.8mm), as Shimano 8.

The only concern that I would have is the left shifter not working with the Shimano FD. Older Campy 10 left shifters had a different mechanism, with more clicks that made them relatively universal, but that is no longer the case. The new shifters have only one click to drop the chain from the big ring to the little ring and only 1-click to trim the FD to the right, from the little ring. AFAIK, there is no trim click from the big ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I like Campy better than shimano and here is a cheap way in;Campagnolo Veloce Shifters 10sp | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    There's a difference, however, between Campy's thumb buttons and the ones on the 2300 (and old Tiagra). You can't reach Shimano's button from the drops. That's the problem he's trying to address.
    Exactly! I would use Shimano or Sram but I'm not sure if any are directly compatible with my 8spd as well as solve my drops issue.

Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    Campy 10 speed right shifters do have the same average cable pull per shift (2.8mm), as Shimano 8.

The only concern that I would have is the left shifter not working with the Shimano FD. Older Campy 10 left shifters had a different mechanism, with more clicks that made them relatively universal, but that is no longer the case. The new shifters have only one click to drop the chain from the big ring to the little ring and only 1-click to trim the FD to the right, from the little ring. AFAIK, there is no trim click from the big ring.
    Does this mean the FD won't shift consistently or won't shift at all?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    I can confirm that the 2012 version of the Athena left shifter (Centaur and Veloce have the same internals on the left shifter) will work with a Shimano 105 triple FD. One click will drop from big to middle and a second click will drop from middle to small. Going up, it takes two clicks to get from small to middle and two clicks to get from middle to big (there's a little room for trimming depending on which cog you are on in the back).

I'm not sure about the 2013 version which now has separate double and triple options.
    * 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage (fixed) * 60th anniversary Schwinn Paramount (Chorus/Centaur 10 speed) * 2002 Trek 520 (ShimErgo Athena 11 driving 9spd LX/105) * 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe * 2008 Gary Fisher Piranha * 2011 Focus Maleta *

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    Well, I've tried a bit of what you're thinking about:

You can replace the 8 speed shifters with used Shimano 8-speed, or these, or 9-speed (like these, these and these) if you replace both the shifters and cassette at the same time (that's what I did do), and you can use any Shimano that you are OK paying for, if it's used Tiagra, new Sora, or any of them. I don't recommend used shifters, esp. if your bike is not old. An 8 speed chain should still be OK with a 9 speed cassette, but a 9 speed chain is only $15 when you're getting the cassette anyway. Replacing just the shifters is easier than all that - if you're happy with the 8 speed jumps.

I also replaced the cassette with PG850 which on my old bike had a 28t low gear, which was the reason I bought it - it worked very well for me, and had a nicer finish too. The good side is that they're $15 or so even new. After all that 9 speed joking around I just put the 8 speed stuff back on, and realized that even with the little levers, 2300 in good shape is still a good group.
    Last edited by .je; 07-16-2013 at 03:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It makes sense that the powershift levers would operate a triple, since Campy sold a 10 speed triple crank and FD. They must have shifters that work with those products, but they certainly don't advertise it.

The 11 speed ultrashift levers also have enough cable pull from the left shifter to operate a triple FD. The big difference between the 2009+ ultrashift lever and the early models, is there is no longer any excess cable pull. The older shifter needed only 7 clicks to operate a triple FD, but 12 were available. The new shifters have 6 clicks to cover the same range as the 7 clicks from the old shifters, but have no more clicks available.

The 2013 models are shown to have different internals for the double and triple versions.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...A-27-11-12.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I'm thinking I'll get these

The seller says the are 2006, will they work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brokekckboxer View Post
    I'm thinking I'll get these

The seller says the are 2006, will they work?
    2006 Xenon would be 9 speed, not 10. While the price seems cheap, if there is no cable set, that will add a lot to the final cost.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...spares06_A.pdf

You can't beat the deals at places like Ribble, in the UK. To make an order worthwhile, I stock up on cheap chains and tires when making an order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hard to beat a set of Veloce at Ribble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Have you considered the new Claris shifters from Shimano? They are 8sp shifters that are basically modeled after the higher end shifters with two paddles (no thumb release). I used a set on a customer bike recently to replace some OLD Shimano shifters that were destroyed. They felt amazing for the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Have you considered the new Claris shifters from Shimano? They are 8sp shifters that are basically modeled after the higher end shifters with two paddles (no thumb release). I used a set on a customer bike recently to replace some OLD Shimano shifters that were destroyed. They felt amazing for the price.

No, I hadn't even seen that! That would be a direct swap with out any of the worries of the Campagnolo not working wouldn't it? Looks like it'll be about $180 for the ST-2400 (claris shifter) set as opposed to $115-130 for Veloce; and it didn't say whether or not the claris shifters come with cables... interesting.
    Last edited by brokekckboxer; 07-20-2013 at 12:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: New shifters (Campy?) on shimano 2300

180 is more than list for the claris shifter, you should be able to find it for less

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vmps View Post
    180 is more than list for the claris shifter, you should be able to find it for less
    Everywhere I've seen thus far has them at $175ish, I might wait awhile before i pull the trigger on anything though to see what happens with claris