downhill quickly
    May 2007

New Shimano 9000 PTFE Shift/Brake cable & housing

I left our bikes (both 7900 equipped) with the shop while on vacation to have them install the new shift/brake cable and housing picking up yesterday upon our return.

Once home I noticed that only 3 of the newly designed 9000 "sealed" ferrules for the housing ends that is supplied in the box was used with standard housing ends to finish off both bikes.

If you haven't seen these ferrules, they telescope a bit further outward from the housing, closer to the new cable, in an attempt to better keep dirt out.

For me, it's particularly disappointing this type of detail work was overlooked. Nevertheless, as Shimano has seen fit to include these particular components I would expect the shop to be using what I paid for.

However, your comments would be welcomed. Do I just leave it or go back and get it done right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    If you paid for the newer ferrols, I'd take it back have them do it.

Now, I'm not familiar with the 9000 set up, but just be sure they are supposed to be there. Sometimes putting fancy parts on certain things is a waist of money as it does nothing. Or, maybe the parts can't be there in that location for whatever reason.

look on Shimano's web site to see what is supposed to be "in the box."
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    If you paid for the newer ferrols, I'd take it back have them do it.

Now, I'm not familiar with the 9000 set up, but just be sure they are supposed to be there. Sometimes putting fancy parts on certain things is a waist of money as it does nothing. Or, maybe the parts can't be there in that location for whatever reason.

look on Shimano's web site to see what is supposed to be "in the box."
    ^yes, those particular componets printed/artwork/highlighted right on the Shimano packaging.

The idea is these new ferrules are to better keep larger dirt particles out. To that extent...hmm...I don't know...but I'd like the opportunity to find out. I guess I was along the first line of your response, in that they should have been used.

I suppose what this thread should be about is at what point (cost, effort etc) do you make it right? I'm finding that its getting worse inspecting what I should expect to be done right...spilling well outside the subject of cycling ;

Thanks tho...and in this case...I'm heading back to the shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Those ferrules would not fit into the braze-on cable guides on my steel bike. The nose part won't fit through the hole that the cable goes through. The hole is just big enough for a cable, not big enough for the nose of the ferrule.

Maybe the shop that worked on your bike had the same problem.

downhill quickly
    May 2007

Lessons learned today...

Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Those ferrules would not fit into the braze-on cable guides on my steel bike. The nose part won't fit through the hole that the cable goes through. The hole is just big enough for a cable, not big enough for the nose of the ferrule.

Maybe the shop that worked on your bike had the same problem.
    Very good Cinelli...spot on.

Which leads me to my follow up with the thread start.

I was pleased to learn a few lessons today, all coming from an experienced pro wrench.

When I called the shop to come in he was happy to have me bring in the bikes and spend some time at the table and explain how he went about sewing up the bike (as he was disappointed he was gone when I picked up the bike).

He raves about the new 9000 housing and cable but primarily used jagwire ferrules as well as other manufacture's metal and or plastic contact points be it at the levers, barrels, FD, or RD turn with respect to performance, breakage and wear over time. He has his philosophy regarding dirt collection for Road biking and while he understands the shimano concept with the elongated tube ferrules, he's first disappointed (as Cinelli points out) that diameter is too large causing in some cases need to remove paint to fit into slot as well as not yet convinced the tubes will not by themselves turn out to be specific wear points of cables. He further demonstrated the different approach he took between my bike and my wifes...each bike requiring a different twist and turn here and there using a different components, but with an eye for "best fit" in his estimation.

My mistake was looking at the job as a all or none Shimano parts job and not taking into consideration the time, effort, experience, intellectual property (as well as a magic toolbox of parts) that a professional uses to achieve a gold standard.

I got more than I paid for.

And I got a reminder to step back, look at things more broadly and trust folks who take pride in doing their best ;)

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    My mistake
    Rep given.

I always rep a man who admits to a mistake in public. We all make 'em. Few own up to them.

RoadBikeReview Member

My wonder is why we need these super housings at all. It's a road bike, how much dirt does it see on a yearly basis.

My road bike with 9 spd is on it's third year with no special cables. Is this cause shimanos under tape cable path is obviously flawed?

This was never an issue until shimano went under the tape.

Bill

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Rep given.

I always rep a man who admits to a mistake in public. We all make 'em. Few own up to them.
    Thank you Bruce. You remind me as I think back on my life...full of many mistakes...how I need to make "owning up" more of a habit, and quickly, to balance the whole lot of it ;)

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    My wonder is why we need these super housings at all. It's a road bike, how much dirt does it see on a yearly basis.

My road bike with 9 spd is on it's third year with no special cables. Is this cause shimanos under tape cable path is obviously flawed?

Bill
    Interesting Bill, as in fact I do find Shimano has (with the new bronze PFTE cable and ribbed housing) at least for my wife and I, greatly enhanced the ease of the 7900 shift experience (immediately noticeable today for the both of us running through the rings and cass). As for the brake side of it, I felt a greater pulse from the brake as well as the "pull" of the brake has more ease of a confident progression till full stop. Now is that "feeling" due to PFTE or simply a new tight set-up? We'll see with time.

Back to your comment, I would think while the new 9000 group set benefits from this new cable/housing development as much as their new PFTE coated directional chain brings. However, largely I'm of the belief the new cable/housing best fixes the in-house issues of shift throws experienced with 7900 over that of older 7800 (which I had and it was butter). It was significantly better today on a short test ride...more to come of course...but if you have 7900, go with a shift makeover.

As for dirt in road bikes...here about CO; summer mountain grit, early/late snowfall, late mud season runnoff, forest fire ash, sudden rains above 9K all seem to drive deep into every pinhole. Certainly not mtb slop, but IME, all that stuff I mentioned is sandpaper on all parts that move with some added insult of mag-Chloride residue thrown in at times on the mountain passes and dusts up from washboards around here since its used as a sealant (and that crap never comes out).

Nevertheless, you maybe right in a larger sense. Shimano has fixed the under tape 7900 with this product...even as a unintended consequence. As for mechanical 9000, that group could use fish line and get away with it

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    As for mechanical 9000, that group could use fish line and get away with it
    Do you fish?
    I've thought of trying some of the superbraid fishing line for shift cables.

If you're not familiar with this stuff don't laugh!
    It is much more flexible, has zero stretch, is UV resistant, much lighter and cheaper than steel cable. It's made of the latest hi-tech materials and is relatively hard to cut.
    Much stronger than steel. 150lb test is about .025" diameter and costs around $30 for 300 yards.

The only problems I see are that it might wear easier than steel so you'll have to make sure it doesn't rub anywhere, and it might wear the inner cable liner because of the smaller diameter.

Surely the big companies (especially Shimano) have experimented with it.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member

Bill
    3 years on the same cables?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Powercordz are shift cables made of fishing line.

PowerCordz.com | Feel The Difference.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yep three years in the same cables. A little lube every 30 days and that stuff runs forever.

Bill

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Do you fish?

If you're not familiar with this stuff don't laugh!
    It is much more flexible, has zero stretch, is UV resistant, much lighter and cheaper than steel cable. It's made of the latest hi-tech materials and is relatively hard to cut.
    Much stronger than steel. 150lb test is about .025" diameter and costs around $30 for 300 yards.

The only problems I see are that it might wear easier than steel so you'll have to make sure it doesn't rub anywhere, and it might wear the inner cable liner because of the smaller diameter.

Surely the big companies (especially Shimano) have experimented with it.
    No Randy...I don't fish. Horrific experiences as a young child with 3 other brothers all with twisted lines, fish hooks stuck in lips, worms in ears and my Dad racing about all of us trying to untangle the whole mess before somebody drowns ;) THAT has soured for life my joy of fishing

But yes, I was initially quoting "fish line" as a joke. To my surprise, your comments then with Cinelli exampling below has had me execute a crisp about-face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Powercordz are shift cables made of fishing line.

PowerCordz.com | Feel The Difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Bill
    You need to ride with me....................

New Shimano 9000 PTFE Shift/Brake cable & housing-dirtygf3.jpg
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm not worthy I'm not worthy. Lol lol

That's what cross bikes are for.

Lol lol

On of my favorite customers would ride his ride, then detail his bike. His bike was allways spotless.

Bill