Adorable Furry Hombre
    Not so hidden memo from shimano:

No more STIs and MTB derailleurs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    cranks are hideous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I don't mind the cranks. They look to be a darker gray than the 6800 cranks, which would be an improvement IMO.

I'm curious about Hydraulic (DI2) shifters and calipers, and well.. the obvious question... Cost!

Safe to say this will be the 6900 series?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Safe to say this will be the 6900 series?
    Not safe. Maybe the 8000 series or something. They're starting to get all mixed up now.

My guess is that they'll have levers just like Dura-Ace. Same size/shape more or less no matter what brakes or shifting you choose. Same with everything basically. A copy of what Dura-Ace is doing with heavier materials and you know the deal.

I think it looks quite similar to what is out now, the 6800 stuff. Not a huge departure in color or design. Looks like Ultegra and Dura-Ace are going to be looking quite similar.

Some lighter cassettes for Ultegra would be nice.

6800 is about to reach epic value levels soon.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I thought it was pretty damn good when I built up my 50th birthday present to myself last year, may have to get another.
    Where's the dry-humping emoji when you need it?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Not safe. Maybe the 8000 series or something. They're starting to get all mixed up now.

My guess is that they'll have levers just like Dura-Ace. Same size/shape more or less no matter what brakes or shifting you choose. Same with everything basically. A copy of what Dura-Ace is doing with heavier materials and you know the deal.

I think it looks quite similar to what is out now, the 6800 stuff. Not a huge departure in color or design. Looks like Ultegra and Dura-Ace are going to be looking quite similar.

Some lighter cassettes for Ultegra would be nice.

Well, given that IIRC it has taken 12 months or so from a Di2 announcement to Shimano actually having enough product produced to fulfill OEM wants and start sending stuff to retail distribution channels for consumers to actually buy...."soon" probably is less "soon" and more "later". ;)
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Forever a Student

Mechanical Stuff

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I have a build I was about to start, but I think I might wait until prices drop on the 6870 stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    cranks are hideous
    I guess you are not a fan of X-Men series.

Name:  X-MenLogo3.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  17.8 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Needs to have a dual sided power meter option in the $700-$800 range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Needs to have a dual sided power meter option in the $700-$800 range.
    Keep on wishing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    So sometime in the fall for first shipments???

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Keep on wishing...
    FSA Powerbox alloy is running around $600 with rings at most UK sites with the carbon version around $850; Power2Max type S is around $900 with rings.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I have a build I was about to start, but I think I might wait until prices drop on the 6870 stuff.

They're not going to get a whole lot lower for a while...and there's not going to be 2017 Ultegra stock probably until 2018.

There's been sales on most Di2 jewelry bits (Ultegra 6800, DA 9000, and XTR, as well as un-tiered) on Performance Bike and Jenson USA since New Year's BTW that are now starting to run out IIRC. It is part of how my unpavement bike came in well under budget.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    FSA Powerbox alloy is running around $600 with rings at most UK sites with the carbon version around $850; Power2Max type S is around $900 with rings.
    I didn't think those are dual sided really - they create dual sided information based on crank position but it's a single strain gauge not dual.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

is riding in MOPP4
    cranks are hideous
    I agree. I hate the 4 arm spider look.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    No more STIs and MTB derailleurs
    Huh??
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Huh??
    I thought the only reason/time MTB ders could work with STIs was R785...which worked because the R785 were unbranded/tiered components.

Did S let Ultegra 6870 etc work too? Last I knew it didn't or only kind-of-sort-of depending on the config.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I thought the only reason/time MTB ders could work with STIs was R785...which worked because the R785 were unbranded/tiered components.

Did S let Ultegra 6870 etc work too? Last I knew it didn't or only kind-of-sort-of depending on the config.
    Oh OK. I wasn't sure what you were driving at. Now I understand.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Looks OK to me, but I can't find a compelling reason to upgrade for a 6800 Ultegra user. The only thing that has be curious are the shifters and hood for the disc version. If the ergonomics/hand-feel are improved I'd consider just replacing that one part. Doubt the changes are noticeable or significant from what I've read. I feel the same about Dura Ace 9100.

is riding in MOPP4
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Looks OK to me, but I can't find a compelling reason to upgrade for a 6800 Ultegra user. The only thing that has be curious are the shifters and hood for the disc version. If the ergonomics/hand-feel are improved I'd consider just replacing that one part. Doubt the changes are noticeable or significant from what I've read. I feel the same about Dura Ace 9100.
    There is no compelling reason to upgrade. Mechanical groups arguably reached its pinnacle with 10-speed. Aside from wider gearing options, slightly improved disc brake performance, and small weight savings, there is no reason, other than vanity, you want to go electronic, or want to try SRAM/Campy, why one shouldn't just ride 5800/6800 into the ground.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Have the specs and features been released?

I'm very happy with the 6800 and 6870 stuff, but I might be inclined to replace some of it if there is a compelling new feature or capability. Weight and aesthetics would not be enough to convince me, but improved ergonomics on the hydraulic shifters, a shadow RD, or a DA style FD, or even an integrated power meter in a crank might.

I doubt it will happen, but some disc road hubs would interest me too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    There is no compelling reason to upgrade. Mechanical groups arguably reached its pinnacle with 10-speed. Aside from wider gearing options, slightly improved disc brake performance, and small weight savings, there is no reason, other than vanity, you want to go electronic, or want to try SRAM/Campy, why one shouldn't just ride 5800/6800 into the ground.
    There was definitely a noticeable difference in shifting performance between 5700/6700 and 5800/6800. Most noticeably, there is an extra trim adjustment on the way down to help prevent chain drops.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    cranks are hideous
    I've seen worse...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast