RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

New Sram Double Tap Sfifter do not shift

I have converted from TT to road configuration with Sram Force Double Tap shifters. All installation done. Brakes work just fine.

With proper shifter's cable tension on, all attempts to shift either derailleurs fail. Nothing append. How to correct this situation ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Assume the shifter gear was working fine before you changed your setup.

The obvious thing is that you have binding in the cable routing somewhere. Perhaps under the bottom bracket?

Are your cables exposed or routed through the frame? If exposed, can you see the derailleurs move when you pull the cable slightly?

What gear (big/small) is your rear currently on?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    undo the cables from the derailleurs.
    pull lightly on them by hand, and try to move the shift paddle. if it doesn't work...
    remove cables from shifters, make sure right shifter is in 'high gear' position and left is in 'low gear'. (did you do this before installing cables? or were they new shifters w/ the shift cables pre-installed?)
    re-install cables.
    this is on the assumption that your derailleurs are working smoothly and there aren't any problems w/ cables/housing or cable guides.
    they're pretty simple and quite easy to work with. try the above and see what happens.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ88V View Post
    Assume the shifter gear was working fine before you changed your setup.

The obvious thing is that you have binding in the cable routing somewhere. Perhaps under the bottom bracket?

Are your cables exposed or routed through the frame? If exposed, can you see the derailleurs move when you pull the cable slightly?

What gear (big/small) is your rear currently on?
    The shifter gear was working just fine. Along with the new set of shifters, I also put on new cables and housings.

I use a 2008 Cervelo soloist with cables routed through the frame. The rear gear is on the high gear (small cog)

As of now, I have rear derailleur shifting smoothly all across the gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    undo the cables from the derailleurs.
    pull lightly on them by hand, and try to move the shift paddle. if it doesn't work...
    remove cables from shifters, make sure right shifter is in 'high gear' position and left is in 'low gear'. (did you do this before installing cables? or were they new shifters w/ the shift cables pre-installed?)
    re-install cables.
    this is on the assumption that your derailleurs are working smoothly and there aren't any problems w/ cables/housing or cable guides.
    they're pretty simple and quite easy to work with. try the above and see what happens.
    This is a new set of shifters with shifting cables pre-installed.

So far, I managed to get the right shifter working properly through all gears.

I did not "right shifter is in 'high gear' position and left is in 'low gear' " ! That might be the root of my problem ! How do I get there ?

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by PR0042 View Post
    This is a new set of shifters with shifting cables pre-installed.

So far, I managed to get the right shifter working properly through all gears.

I did not "right shifter is in 'high gear' position and left is in 'low gear' " ! That might be the root of my problem ! How do I get there ?
    While pulling (tensioning) on the cable, give your shifter the half (not sure if that's the right term) click. Keep clicking until you run out of clicks. Now you are in your lowest gear in front and your highest gear in the rear.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Re: New Sram Double Tap Sfifter do not shift

This happened to me. The left shifter was shifted to the large ring position, so when I installed cable, it was already 'spooled up', so it could not pull the cable. Once I figured it out and snapped it down while pulling the cable, then reattaching cable to FD all was good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    While pulling (tensioning) on the cable, give your shifter the half (not sure if that's the right term) click. Keep clicking until you run out of clicks. Now you are in your lowest gear in front and your highest gear in the rear.
    Done ! All working as they should... even the part-time mechanic

Thank you all for your help. Happy riding