RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

New Taillight For The Road

Earlier this week I went to turn on my Cateye Rapid X taillight and the battery was dead. When I got home I plugged it in to charge. I left it charge for a couple of hours and it wouldn't turn on. This unit was my second unit in a row to brick after I accidentally let the batter drain to E.

I really like the Rapid X due to its profile and brightness but I refuse to spend $45 a year on taillight. Yesterday after work I swung by my LBS and picked up a Niterider Omega 300 taillight. I went for a ride after work and it was starting to get dusk so I turned on my taillight. Holy frick is this new light bright! I would say it's twice as bright as the Rapid X and only cost $10 more.

I'm hoping this light doesn't brick if it goes dead, and I know the issue with the other two were completely my fault, life happens.

Point of the story is if anyone is on the market for a super bright taillight for $55 give the Niterider Omega 300 a look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A light should not "brick" if you let the battery run down all the way. So not your fault.

I've been using the Cygolite Hotrod 50 for a couple of years and often run the battery through its cycle. No problems charging it. I ususally get 5 or 6 rides before I need to charge it again and it's very bright.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cannot beat this rear light. It's a torch and compact. .

https://road.cc/content/review/23188...akt-rear-light

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not a fan of built-in batteries for this exact reason. I prefer taillights that use AAAs, and I try to keep a set in the charger that is fresh ready to go. NiMH batteries also fare much better than Li-Ion during winter riding when temp dips below freezing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    NiMH batteries also fare much better than Li-Ion during winter riding when temp dips below freezing.
    Huh? I wouldn't own a light with NiMH, they suck - terrible life and memory issues etc. I've used Li-Ion battery lights at 7 below Zero F and haven't had a single issue, not interested in riding any colder than that.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least I can simply replace these or slap in some alkalines in a pinch. While Li-ion works in cold, the run time suffers. Other symptoms I've seen with Li-ion are self-discharge when not in use and loses run time as it age. Not a fan of tossing a perfectly good light just because the built-in battery died. Regardless of chemistry, I find lights with replaceable battery are far more useful than non-replaceable ones.