RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

New Ultegra 8000 compatibility with 6800

Does anyone know if Shimano has stated whether the new Ultegra will be compatible with 9000/6800/5800?

Specifically I'm wondering if the new rear derailleur and cassette will work with 6800 (hydro) shifters. Having an 11-34 on my CX/gravel bike would be nice for some of the steeper climbs around here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    It'll work just fine, there was no change to the cable pull. R8000 is just a refinement of 6800.

Forever a Student
    The change is in the front and it's with the crankset and chainring spacing.

They're going to want the new crankset to be paired with the new front mech.

Other than that it's all compatible.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

Oh lord...don't tell me Shimano went and made a groupo that'll only shift right on Shimano's own extremely limited gearing choices....
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Oh lord...don't tell me Shimano went and made a groupo that'll only shift right on Shimano's own extremely limited gearing choices....
    The new front mech will be good and solid and compatible with several cranks I imagine.

So no worries there.

The new cranks however *might* not work so well at all with past front mechs or front mechs from other companies.

That's pretty much the deal.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Shimano if not going to add "Compatible with 3rd party components from Praxis, Rotor, Wolftooth, Stages and MORE.!" to their marketing. They are the market leader.

Those companies are more than welcome to market components to fill the odd gaps in Shimano's products.

Shimano's target customer with this group set is the mainstream built road bike market.

The compact gearing available up to 11x34 is more than enough , even for the majority of the adventure bike crowd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The only difference is that the crank has moved the small ring inboard by .4mm and kept the large ring in the original position. The front derailleur has been profiled to allow it to move closer to the seat tube before it contacts and stops moving. Most bikes will have no issue here, but a handful may find their older derailleur may not be capable of moving far enough inboard to stop chain rub in the climbing gears. Not may bikes will have this issue, but a few will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

At the end of the day will this matter? On both my 6870 and 5800/6800 bikes I run Quarqs with SRAM rings on them and they work fine.

Are the new rings backwards compatible with older cranks?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alxrmrs View Post
    At the end of the day will this matter? On both my 6870 and 5800/6800 bikes I run Quarqs with SRAM rings on them and they work fine.

Are the new rings backwards compatible with older cranks?
    It matters if the spacing between the rings is different ( which I believe is the case here ).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    It matters if the spacing between the rings is different ( which I believe is the case here ).
    What I forgot to add to this is that IIRC the spacing on SRAM 11 speed rings is slightly different than Shimano's own 4-bolt style.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    It matters, but it doesn't. Like I said, the change is so small that Shimano's own techs mix and match on their personal bikes, I've seen it first hand and it works just fine 99% of the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

chainrings?

Anyone know if 6800 chainrings are compatible with r8000 cranks. Would you need to adjust the FD?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spookiekabuki View Post
    Anyone know if 6800 chainrings are compatible with r8000 cranks. Would you need to adjust the FD?
    The official answer from Shimano is "Nope!".

The fact that the two have slightly different chainlines (*very slightly) probably matters quite a bit in this case.

Then there is the physical and aesthetic differences (color, shape, etc..).

I've never actually tried this, and personally wouldn't consider it. FWIW, I'm going to go with "Probably Not" compatible.