Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFS chain lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think he was messing with you.
    I know that. :-) I was debunking the premise that applying random drops can uniformly lubricate a chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I know that. :-) I was debunking the premise that applying random drops can uniformly lubricate a chain.
    How about this: to uniformly lubricate a chain, place a drop on each and every roller. Rotate the chain backwards a couple of times and then wipe the excess off with a rag. Boom, done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    How could putting random drops of lube on the chain provide uniform lubrication over the whole chain?
    The manufacturer apparently believed that the lube distribution obtained in this fashion should be uniform enough for all practical means and purposes. Maybe they are right, assuming that your initial lube placement is the correct one (i.e. it gets redistributed to each and every link in the chain).

The link where the drop was applied would always have more lube than one which got a smear. The whole concept is flawed.
    It depends on how much lube will be able to stay in the link where the drop was applied. A drop is always too much for one link, which means that some amount of lube will be expelled from that link in one way or another. Maybe the amount of lube that manages to stay there is not that much different from what other links would get indirectly.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 05-17-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Et si tu tombes 7 fois
    Toujours se relever 8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    You've got to be smarter than your chain in order for this technique to work properly.
    Will it work if my phone is smarter than my chain?
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Will it work if my phone is smarter than my chain?
    Come on. I'm serious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    OK, I'm going to debunk my debunk theory. This lube is thick and has a high surface tension. Instead of immediately flowing into the link where a drop is applied, it remains on the surface. When you rotate the crank backwards, it smears that drop over a number of links by the derailleur pulleys, cog, and chainring. After some period of time, through link flexing and centripetal force, it migrates into the chain. Voilą, your chain is lubed.

From industry articles I've read about chains used in a dusty, industrial environment, a penetrating type of lubricant is best. It flows into the link where it is applied, the solvent evaporates leaving the lubricant where it is most needed, i.e., inside the chain. Wiping off the outside of the chain with a rag before the solvent evaporates leaving little lubricant on the outside to attract dirt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    So $15 for 2 oz and you still need to apply it to every link to prevent squeaking. That's $240/quart. $240 would make a whole lot of home brew...both chain lube and beer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

NFS chain lube

Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    So $15 for 2 oz and you still need to apply it to every link to prevent squeaking. That's $240/quart. $240 would make a whole lot of home brew...both chain lube and beer.
    Even 1 drop per link is very little when you get at least 500 miles between chain lubings. I've lubed 2 chains thus far, and haven't used much of it. The Squirt lube I'm also using, I need to lube every other ride and run a line of it on the chain.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 05-17-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: edit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    As an update, I bought 2 bottle of NFS about 3 years ago. I live in a relatively wet climate (DC/MD) and have 4 bikes I ride regularly.

I still have ½ a bottle. I apply according to the directions, and wipe my chain after every ride. Occasionally, between thorough cleanings when I clean the chain entirely, I'll apply 4 or 5 drops.

I get about 5,000 on a chain, per Park tool measurement. No squeaks.

Great lube. You all can doubt. But you shouldn't...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    As an update, I bought 2 bottle of NFS about 3 years ago. I live in a relatively wet climate (DC/MD) and have 4 bikes I ride regularly.

I still have ½ a bottle. I apply according to the directions, and wipe my chain after every ride. Occasionally, between thorough cleanings when I clean the chain entirely, I'll apply 4 or 5 drops.

I get about 5,000 on a chain, per Park tool measurement. No squeaks.

Great lube. You all can doubt. But you shouldn't...
    I gave up on NFS. I like Lilly Lube better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12