Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFS chain lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

NFS chain lube

Anyone use this? I bought the Silca version. Applied 12 drops on a degreased and clean chain every 8th link. Spun the cranks backwards a whole bunch if times. Wiped with a rag. Took a 25 mile ride. Hearing some squeaks. Thought it could have been the derailleur pulleys. Took them out and lubed the top one. The bottom one has a sealed bearing and it seemed fine (spun smooth). Applied 12 more drops in between the others (i.e., now every 4th chain pin). Still squeaking somewhere. Beginning to think I need one drop per link. Sort of defeats the premise of this lube (12-12-12). Anyone else having the same experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I've always lubed every link. Not sure why you wouldn't?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    How on earth does it work if you don't lube every roller? And don't say 'it'll get where it needs to be'. I've had one person mention it to me. Chain lube is a very simple product, no need to overthink/over engineer/over price it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Uh huh. It magically gets redistributed. 12 whole drops.

Made out of unicorn tears?

from the site:
    Basic instructions for use:

1. With your chain in the big ring and the smallest cog apply 8 to 10 drops of NFS at random and run the chain backwards to distribute the lube. A very good method is the 12:12:12 method. follow the instructions for chain position than add 12 random drops, rotate the chain 12 times than wipe it with a clean cotton cloth for 12 seconds.

2. The cogs will do the job of distributing the lube. Once all the lube has been distributed to the chain wipe any excess OFF the cog/chainring AND chain.

3. Done!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

NFS chain lube

A lot of people rave about it, including such notables as Tom Kellogg, Richard Sachs, and Bill Strickland. I bet they didn't put it on a fully degreased chain and were getting benefit from the old lube.

In my opinion, the 12 drops thing is false advertising.
    Last edited by mfdemicco; 03-02-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: edit

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    1. With your chain in the big ring and the smallest cog apply 8 to 10 drops of NFS at random and run the chain backwards to distribute the lube. A very good method is the 12:12:12 method. follow the instructions for chain position than add 12 random drops, rotate the chain 12 times than wipe it with a clean cotton cloth for 12 seconds.

2. The cogs will do the job of distributing the lube. Once all the lube has been distributed to the chain wipe any excess OFF the cog/chainring AND chain.
    That may just be the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard.

Sure, it'll distribute the lube... all over your cogs and the OUTSIDE of your chain. And of course any lube that may miraculously work it's way into the rollers will already be contaminated. Talk about bass ackwards.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That may just be the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard.
    Probably the 2nd dumbest, the 1st dumbest is somebody followed those directions.
    Too old to ride plastic

A wheelist
    Sure, it'll distribute the lube... all over your cogs and the OUTSIDE of your chain. And of course any lube that may miraculously work it's way into the rollers will already be contaminated. Talk about bass ackwards.
    Chains have secret passageways, down through which the lube seeps, unseen, to infiltrate all the other pins & bushings; usually on moonless nights. {{{cue eerie music}}}
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Chains have secret passageways, down through which the lube seeps, unseen, to infiltrate all the other pins & bushings; usually on moonless nights. {{{cue eerie music}}}
    I haven't used those hollow chains with internal lubrication passages yet.

Ever since I mounted one of these on my chainstay I've had no need to.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The one drop every 8th link works well with disc chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I haven't used those hollow chains with internal lubrication passages yet.

Ever since I mounted one of these on my chainstay I've had no need to.
    Looks like an industrial version of one of those Rohloff things.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    NFS in heavy use here in Mexico. Two years of experience, using pretty much as directed, lasts a very long time. Lots of salt air, sand, dirt, general abuse. 13 bikes, zero chain issues.

Also NFS being used on any threaded fittings on bikes, ATVs, cars, etc. Dissimilar metal corrosion is prevalent here and has to be addressed before it starts. NFS also works extremely well in this application
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    The one drop every 8th link works well with disc chains.

But only if you are riding with wider tires.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Chain lube is a very simple product, no need to overthink/over engineer/over price it.

What, CX??? So you're trying to put a whole lucrative industry of boutique chain lubes out of business with a statement like this? Can you imagine how many jobs would be lost if everybody used home brew?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    But only if you are riding with wider tires.
    At least 25mm... measured! You can't go by what the manufacturer says.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Im pretty happy with this lube, now that I figured out that that I needed one small drop per link. I ridden a lot of miles already and the chain doesn't squeak and is clean (I occasionally wipe it down with a rag). I think I'll use NFS instead of my previous favorite, Squirt from now on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    This stuff doesn't penetrate worth a damn. Lubed my chain, two drops per link. Still squeaks. Using the Silca version too, which is thinner. I'll leave it set for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzly moderator
    I switched from Prolink to NFS about two years ago. It works very well and stays put after a rain, something that Prolink would not do.
    Initial application a few drops (don't ask me how many, I don't count them BUT it's not on every link, not even on every other link), spin backwards and the stuff spreads and coats all links. Magic!
    Maintenance applications take about 6 drops.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    So with this 12-12-12 thing if a "missing link" or "power link" or other connector is between the 12-12 and you pull it the pins are fully lubed after 12 rotations?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    This stuff doesn't penetrate worth a damn. Lubed my chain, two drops per link. Still squeaks. Using the Silca version too, which is thinner. I'll leave it set for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would hit the RD pulleys with lube again. Squeaking usually comes from there, not the chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    from the site:
    [URL="Basic instructions for use: 1. With your chain in the big ring and the smallest cog apply 8 to 10 drops of NFS at random and run the chain backwards to distribute the lube. A very good method is the 12:12:12 method. follow the instructions for chain position than add [B]12 random drops[/B], ...
    The key point of the quote is to apply the drops at random, as the instructions clearly and explicitly say. That way there is a hope that spinning the chain on the cogs and chanrings will redistribute the lube between all links.

But if you apply the lube at even steps, then it becomes a question of the relationship between the step, the chain length, the number of teeth in the current cog and the number of teeth in the chainring. If something is not co-prime with something else there (I'm not gonna go into details, but it might make a nice math puzzle), then the aforementioned back-and-forth transfer will not be able to hit every link before you wipe the excess.

If you want to apply the lube at even steps, at least use a prime number of links for a step: every 11th, every 13th, every 9th... Not every 12th or 8th. It does not guarantee anything yet, but makes a better choice.
    Et si tu tombes 7 fois
    Toujours se relever 8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    The OP did it wrong. He lubed every 8th link, the directions clearly said to apply lube randomly. I put on a blindfold to make sure it is a true random distribution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    How could putting random drops of lube on the chain provide uniform lubrication over the whole chain? The link where the drop was applied would always have more lube than one which got a smear. The whole concept is flawed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How could putting random drops of lube on the chain provide uniform lubrication over the whole chain? The link where the drop was applied would always have more lube than one which got a smear. The whole concept is flawed.

I think he was messing with you.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You've got to be smarter than your chain in order for this technique to work properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast