RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Non-hidden bolt Red exogram ring experience

The rings on my Force crank are due for a replacement. I was thinking of upgrading to the non-hidden bolt (read: standard) version of the exogram rings adding a Yaw front mech.

If anyone has made this upgrade, what's your experience with front shifting performance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I replaced the previous generation Red rings w the new Red, non-hidden bolt on my Quarq about a month ago. I was already using the Yaw derailleur. The shifting is slightly better. I really had no complaints before, but the shifting is marginally better. Not sure I would recommend replacement just for the marginally better shifting, but if it's time to replace, go for it. I will say that the new rings are not cheap. I think the bigger improvement will be noticed because of the Yaw derailleur itself - I noticed a much bigger improvement when I switched to that.

Good luck
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-hidden bolt Red exogram ring experience-img_00000217.jpg  
    Last edited by vetboy; 07-16-2013 at 05:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Joe for the thoughts. I'm debating on the Exogram/Yaw combination or keeping my standard FD and replacing the worn rings with Praxis Works ones. I just wasn't sure how much of the improvement in shifting/stiffness was due to the spider design of the new red crank vs. the rings themselves and if I would notice a vast improvement over the praxis works and a standard FD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the Yaw derailleur is where the improvement is. I would definitely recommend that over the previous FD and new rings.

Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the 2013 Red cranks and what I didn't know was if the ring holes that were hidden behind the crank arm were any different than the other 4 holes in a way that would be a problem from mounting the rings on the older style SRAM cranks that don't have the hidden holes. Evidently from your pic, they're not and will take the normal ring bolts/nuts.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I have the 2013 Red cranks and what I didn't know was if the ring holes that were hidden behind the crank arm were any different than the other 4 holes in a way that would be a problem from mounting the rings on the older style SRAM cranks that don't have the hidden holes. Evidently from your pic, they're not and will take the normal ring bolts/nuts.
    Not entirely correct. They actually make 2 different sets of rings - one for the "hidden 5th bolt" like you have, and one for a more standard "non-hidden 5th bolt" like in my pic. You could use the hidden bolt style (yours) on a non-hidden bolt (mine), but the peg that prevents the chain from getting wedged between crank arm and outer chainring would be in the wrong place. Clear as mud?

Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vetboy View Post
    I replaced the previous generation Red rings w the new Red, non-hidden bolt on my Quarq about a month ago. I was already using the Yaw derailleur. The shifting is slightly better. I really had no complaints before, but the shifting is marginally better. Not sure I would recommend replacement just for the marginally better shifting, but if it's time to replace, go for it. I will say that the new rings are not cheap. I think the bigger improvement will be noticed because of the Yaw derailleur itself - I noticed a much bigger improvement when I switched to that.

Good luck
    Joe

Why didn't you go with the ZED2 crank?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz View Post
    Why didn't you go with the ZED2 crank?
    I did use it for a few months, but then I got a Quarq power meter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vetboy View Post
    Not entirely correct. They actually make 2 different sets of rings - one for the "hidden 5th bolt" like you have, and one for a more standard "non-hidden 5th bolt" like in my pic. You could use the hidden bolt style (yours) on a non-hidden bolt (mine), but the peg that prevents the chain from getting wedged between crank arm and outer chainring would be in the wrong place. Clear as mud?

Joe
    Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.