RoadBikeReview Member

Older Ultegra Wheels/11 Speed Cassette?

Hello,

I bought a second-hand Ultegra wheelset with the rear wheel being totally unused. The owner bought them several years ago, however, before 11 speed cassettes were around. He wasn't sure if it would be compatible. I'm hoping to buy a new bike and I'd like to put these wheels on it but don't know if it will work with the new 11 speed cassettes.Older Ultegra Wheels/11 Speed Cassette?-ultegrawheel.jpg

Not sure if the photo will help. Thanks!
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The photo doesn't really help but it may someone with more of an Eagle Eye for tiny things. I don't think they changed anything about the look/graphics when moving to 11.

If he truly bought it before 11 came out it will not work with a regular non-jerry-rigged 11 cassette. But you could use one of these: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Edc...tte-12-27/6G9A

Or have some machined off the back of a regular stock one (Shimano, Sram ect). I think someone posted about that recently. I'll come back and post that thread if I find it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'll come back and post that thread if I find it.

Nevermind. Velodog got it while I was typing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I'll probably just save them to use with my older bikes with 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

Banned forever.....or not
    One option would be to buy an 11 speed cassette that starts with an 11......Remove the 11, and replace the 12 with a 12 from a 10 speed cassette that started with a 12 (so it has the knurled face)...Lock out the last shift with your rear derailleur limit screw, and you're good to go.....10 cog cassette that shifts with 11 speed shifters......If you don't lock out the last shift, there is a good chance you'll destroy the rear wheel and maybe your bike......This is a cheap method if you only have 10 speed wheels....In fact, you could leave it like that for an 11 speed wheel.....Who really needs 11 cogs??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    The Shimano CS-HG700-11 cassette can fit onto 10-speed wheels (11-34T only).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    One option would be to buy an 11 speed cassette that starts with an 11......Remove the 11, and replace the 12 with a 12 from a 10 speed cassette that started with a 12 (so it has the knurled face)...Lock out the last shift with your rear derailleur limit screw, and you're good to go.....10 cog cassette that shifts with 11 speed shifters......If you don't lock out the last shift, there is a good chance you'll destroy the rear wheel and maybe your bike......This is a cheap method if you only have 10 speed wheels....In fact, you could leave it like that for an 11 speed wheel.....Who really needs 11 cogs??
    Not sure I'd want to risk messing that up but thanks for the info. I wouldn't miss the 11 tooth cog.

Quote Originally Posted by jland View Post
    The Shimano CS-HG700-11 cassette can fit onto 10-speed wheels (11-34T only).
    I just bought this bike:
    Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra Carbon Road Bikes- Motobecane Immortal Carbon

It turns out to have this cassette:

SHIMANO CS-HG800 11SP, 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34T

It's the 800 not 700 like you mentioned so I guess it wouldn't work.
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    Not sure I'd want to risk messing that up but thanks for the info. I wouldn't miss the 11 tooth cog.

I just bought this bike:
    Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra Carbon Road Bikes- Motobecane Immortal Carbon

It turns out to have this cassette:

SHIMANO CS-HG800 11SP, 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34T

It's the 800 not 700 like you mentioned so I guess it wouldn't work.
    You're in luck! Here's a cyclingtips article which explains:

Shimano Ultegra HG-800 11-34T cassette review: Adventure-sized

If you take the HG-800 cassette off your 11-speed wheel, I believe you should find a 1.8mm spacer behind the cassette. To mount the cassette on a 10-speed wheel, leave the spacer out.

p.s. If you try this, before riding, carefully test shift into the 34T cog with the bike on a stand to check the clearance between the rear derailleur cage and the spokes.
    Last edited by jland; 08-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jland View Post
    You're in luck! Here's a cyclingtips article which explains:

Shimano Ultegra HG-800 11-34T cassette review: Adventure-sized

If you take the HG-800 cassette off your 11-speed wheel, I believe you should find a 1.8mm spacer behind the cassette. To mount the cassette on a 10-speed wheel, leave the spacer out.

p.s. If you try this, before riding, carefully test shift into the 34T cog with the bike on a stand to check the clearance between the rear derailleur cage and the spokes.
    Also, chances are the OP will want a medium cage derailleur to make this work. The 6800 GS (i.e. medium cage) derailleur isn't technically rated for a 34t max cog but I can report that mine works fine. Shimano's usually a bit conservative about their specs.

I wouldn't be eager to use a short cage RD with that cassette, but it may work (you will definitely want to avoid shifting into big-big, which is a pretty rare occurrence).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
    Also, chances are the OP will want a medium cage derailleur to make this work. The 6800 GS (i.e. medium cage) derailleur isn't technically rated for a 34t max cog but I can report that mine works fine. Shimano's usually a bit conservative about their specs.

I wouldn't be eager to use a short cage RD with that cassette, but it may work (you will definitely want to avoid shifting into big-big, which is a pretty rare occurrence).
    Big/big might be rare for you but there are tons of riders that use it all the time. Given that this is the case the only derailleur that will really work for sure is the Ultegra 8000 GS. Period.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Its an Ultegra 6700 wheel, 10 sp. I read an article by Leonard Zinn when 11 spd first came out & he went into how people with older 10 spd wheels could convert them into 11 spd. In the article he used a dremel / file to remove material from the hub to allow for the extra cog to fit.

I believe that it also involved redishing the wheel afterwards as well. You'll have to google it to get more info if you're curious.