Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Park Tool CT-4.2 Master Chain Tool

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  marathon marke 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with these? I'm tired of using wimpy chain tools and just picked one up. Big and simple (and expensive) but does it really work so much better?

Larry

#4 ·
I have one...as well as a Pedro's Pro.
The Pedro's will save you some money and is just as nice.

Either way....even if you only split one chain a year....you will be glad you have a good tool.

With several cross and mtb's as well as a couple of road/tt bikes....I end up changing a few chains a year. I used to fight with a small cheapo unit. One of the best bike specific tools a home mechanic can own

#6 ·
I have the C3. I did bend a pin once while working on a campy chain. it cost about $4 to replace. I still use it to break campy chains, but I will only use a connex link to put one together. I would never want to use one of the smaller chain tools unless it was an emergency.

#8 ·
The handle is comfortable. Nice tools last and you won't go through the treadmill of saying to yourself "I should have bought..." I have budget tools if they are used infrequently. What gripes me are poor spec tolerances so that is one irritation with certain lower line tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.