Old Skool

Question Paul Touring Canti question

Can Paul Touring Cantis brakes be set up with a "link wire" as opposed to a traditional "straddle cable"? I am not opposed to the straddle cable but prefer the safety and aesthetics of the link wire.

The brake will be installed on front of my 2005 Lemond Poprad. The bike currently has the stock old-style Avid Shorty 4s both front and rear. The rear works just fine. The front suffers off and on from squealing (annoying) and heavy fork chudder (down right dangerous). Tweaking and pad swapping have greatly reduced the issue, but it has the alarming habit of coming back suddenly in "inconvenient" situations. If I like the results with the Paul on the front I will probably put one on the back as well just for the sake of matching.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

Number 2 on the course.
    Paul's are not a magic bullet for squealing or shudder. They are nicer brakes, but you will likely still need to futz around with them from time to time. Such is the nature of canti brakes.

I've never seen them used with a link wire. If the dimensions are in the ballpark, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be possible.

old school drop out
    For the Touring model it should work if like PBB said, it's the right length. The Neo-Retro requires a really high straddle cable position to work well, so it would not.

I've used canti brakes for 20 years and have never had an issue with a straddle cable. I'm not sure what safety concerns you may have. Straddle cables are much more adjustable - by varying the straddle cable height you can dial in the brake's power to where you like it. The "link wire" is a quicker to install, but reduces the adjustability of the brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

some questions

Is this a larger frame?
    What is the brand and model of fork you're using?
    Where is the front brake cable housing stop located?

Old Skool

Some answers

Frame is 55 cm (C-C) traditional geometry.
    Fork is the OEM Alloy X Lite Cross / Alloy Steerer (45* rake, 403mm axle to crown)
    Front cable stop location is on a high quality long drop cable hanger.

Arguably, the fork is a POS, but I would like to fix this issue without spending several hundred on a new fork. Besides with the long axle to crown spec there does not seem to be a lot of forks available that will truly fit.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.