Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Pedals

I'm looking for a pedal that after clipping out stays in such a way that it's easy to clip back in. Any suggestions? I'm a Campyholic so no Shimano please.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    I'm a Campyholic so no Shimano please.
    Sucks being you.

Time to deal with some inferior crap then.
    use a torque wrench

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    I'm looking for a pedal that after clipping out stays in such a way that it's easy to clip back in. Any suggestions? I'm a Campyholic so no Shimano please.
    Don't dismiss something good just because it's not a brand you like.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why not use Campagnolo pedals? That's all I've ever used. Work just fine. I would not use anything else. Besides, if you use something else, your campyholic status is defunct.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Sucks being you.

Time to deal with some inferior crap then.
    Actually, no.

BeBop pedals or Crank Brothers Candy pedals...

The BeBops may be a bit hard to find but can be used on and off road. However, they are light and work very simply.

Cranks Brothers discontinued their only true road pedal, the Quattro, but the Candy comes close. The only real difference is the size of the platform. They had the same Eggbeater clipless mechanism as the Candy pedals.

I've used both and they worked for me. One particularly useful feature is that they both can unclip in either direction. That is important to me as I need an inward rotation to unclip.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Actually, no.

BeBop pedals or Crank Brothers Candy pedals...

The BeBops may be a bit hard to find but can be used on and off road. However, they are light and work very simply.

Cranks Brothers discontinued their only true road pedal, the Quattro, but the Candy comes close. The only real difference is the size of the platform. They had the same Eggbeater clipless mechanism as the Candy pedals.

I've used both and they worked for me. One particularly useful feature is that they both can unclip in either direction. That is important to me as I need an inward rotation to unclip.
    I use Shimano road pedals and unclip with inward rotation without problem

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Many, and perhaps most, only support outward unclipping...
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You'd think someone with such cycling experience to have developed such refined taste for exclusive products would have figured out the pedal thing a while ago.

Sorry but this is hilarious.

Are you aware Campy makes pedals? I have not used them but I'm pretty sure they are weighted so they always hang as they should to get in. They'd suck pretty bad if they weren't weighted as such.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 06-12-2017 at 07:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i'm a huge fan of shimano spd style pedals. i use them on my road bike. they work great. i know you said no shimano but i don't quite understand why you'd limit yourself in that way.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The ONLY pedal system that stays 'open' after you click out of it is Time road. Great pedals.

As others have said, being a Campysnob will needlessly eliminate a LOT of good options.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    If you are looking for pedals for a road bike you may want to consider Speedplay Zero or X Series pedals. Both offer 2 sided entry and large target that make clipping in very easy. Much like mountain bike pedals but much easier IMO. It doesn't really matter the pedal orientation, it rights itself and basically self centers into the cleat when you step down on - provided you have the cleat over the pedal.

The X Series has a wide range of float that some like and others hate. It does take some time to get used to but people with knee issues tend to like them.

The Zeros have adjustable float from 0 to 15 degrees I think.

They claim to have one of the best cornering angles on the market.

Some of the drawbacks for some are the cleats have a high stack height compared to some pedals. Also they do not have rubber on them for walking unless you get the new walkable model. The cleat also contains the spring and retention mechanism so the weight in regards to the cleat is much higher than other pedal systems (overall system weight may or may not be heaver depending on what models are being compared).

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tinball View Post
    If you are looking for pedals for a road bike you may want to consider Speedplay Zero or X Series pedals.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Good video. I would disagree with some of it, and agree with other bits.

Having used Speedplay X Series Cromo and Stainless for many years as well as Shimano 105 and Ultegra (current), I would disagree with the difficulty of clipping in. I always found Speedplays basically stomp and go. Provided you just didn't miss the cleat entirely, it pretty much always went in. I still have them on my trainer bike and they are IMO easier to clip in than Shimano.

I haven't owned Dura-ace pedals (really couldn't justify the price) but 105 and Ultegra really do not spin that freely to return to rest with the rear down 100% of the time. I don't recall previous gen 105 ever doing it - especially after the 1st rebuild. The current gen Ultegra while better, wasn't that free spinning out of the box - I still have to regularly toe or flip the pedal from upside down to clip in.

Regular maintenance and lubing are on the mark as well as the extra work for mounting the cleat. But that is a one time deal unless you are changing cleats or shoes and moving cleats. Maintenance of pedal itself could also be an issue but are (or at least used to be) dead simple to clean and lube or completely overhaul. But that is another consideration.

Wear is also an issue for those cleats and they are more expensive to replace. The walkable cleats look to address some of the wear issue.

Overall, I think Speedplay is in general easier to clip in but requires more attention and care overall compared to Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience, none of them are totally brainlessly "easy" in the sense of always sitting exactly right, but all of them are easy enough to be practical once you've practiced a little. Flipping the pedal to the right position (without looking) becomes totally automatic very quickly.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't unclip. Learn to trackstand.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used Campy pedals for years. I'd started on LOOK Deltas, then Keos and found Campy a little easier if anything. This is for road riding use. They are a typical Campy overdesign and will last forever.

For commuting in an urban environment I like eggbeaters because you can push off and pedal without being clipped in and clip in as you ride.

I'm not clear if our Campyholic OP has ever tried Campy pedals?
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The ONLY pedal system that stays 'open' after you click out of it is Time road. Great pedals.

As others have said, being a Campysnob will needlessly eliminate a LOT of good options.
    Bull ****. Would you call someone who had only owned Chevrolets a Chevysnob? Sorry, this thought process is all in your head. People buy what they like and what makes sense to them.
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

What the what???
    Watching that video made me glad I just stick with platforms.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    This.

And only considering road pedals will needlessly eliminate a lot of good options. There is no religion that says you can't use mountain bike pedals on a road bike. Seriously, Mackgoo. Look outside the box.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    shimano spd style pedals. i use them on my road bike. they work great.
    Another SPD pedals on road bike user here. Easy to walk with and there are plenty of MTB shoes with very stiff bottom soles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Any suggestions? I'm a Campyholic so no Shimano please.
    Take a look here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

The OP said just not Shimano pedals. That still leaves lots of options. I would not use Shimano pedals on a Campy bike for fear of them exploding, but Look, Speedplay, Time, Ritchey, etc should all be safe

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't agree that Campy pedals are difficult to clip into.

OP if you are not already aware, Campy pedals require Campy cleats. The cleats are a 2-part assembly, a steel hook, and a plastic body available in 4 degrees float or no float. The steel hooks are pretty indestructible and the plastic bodies are available separately. If one bought a new pedal set then a cleat set used to come with them, but the pedals are pretty indestructible and there used to be plenty on eBay. The different levels are exactly the same quality, the only difference being that Record came with a Ti spindle wt 133 g per vs. 160 g for the other levels. The originals were "Pro fit" and there was a minor platform revision to "Pro fit plus". I use both and cannot tell the difference.

An added bonus is they they are nice looking pedals that are sure to be a talking point on your rides because hardly anyone uses them.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 06-12-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I would not use Shimano pedals on a Campy bike for fear of them exploding, but Look, Speedplay, Time, Ritchey, etc should all be safe
    Sounds more like religion than fear of exploding.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Sounds more like religion than fear of exploding.
    Its like an organ rejection. One time on a group ride rest stop I leaned my bike up against a Shimano bike. There was all manner of sparking and electrical arcing. I was able to pull my bike away just in time before there was a total meltdown. I thought I saw Tulio's face in a cloud above me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast