RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Pedals won't release

I've got this set of xpedo sl road pedals that I've used previously with no problems whatsoever. I took them off & stored them for a while as I didn't need them.

On a new build, I decided to put these pedals back into use again. Clipped into them & found out on the test ride that I wasn't able to click out normally almost falling over. Turning the foot outward as normal only resulted in the foot twisting to a certain point where it should release but it didn't & the foot remained locked in & you couldn't twist back in either. The foot was stuck in a splayed position.

I was only able to click out the other foot by twisting inward. Once I had that foot on the ground, I was able to twist the other foot inward to release it. I played with the tension & it really didn't do anything but make clicking in super easy. But even then the pedals don't feel right. They used to be really positive & snappy with the engagement when clicking in but now I can't even tell if I'm clicked in or not. Anyone else experience this before & what's the solution?

BTW these pedals have never been ridden in the rain & actually have pretty low mileage on them. The cleats & shoes are brand new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Same xpedo cleats?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Yep. Pedals came with 2 sets of cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What size are they?

Try silicone spray?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Stupid question, admittedly, but are you cleat screws tight? If you can release inwards, but not outwards, I'd say the problem is with the cleats not the pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I just had a similar experience. I normally use Speedplay pedals/cleats, which literally eject your foot straight up off of the pedal when you rotate your ankle.

I temporarily installed my PowerTap P-1 Pedals, which use the XPedo cleats. I rarely use these pedals, and found that it takes a little more than the normal ankle twist to disengage. I have to actively move my foot backwards enough to disengage the nose of the cleat from the pedal. The first few times I tried to click out of them, it felt like it wasn't disengaging until I gave a little rearward movement. Once I had done it three or four times, muscle memory kicked in and it was fine...

It was just a matter of getting a feel for a different engagement/disengagement motion...