RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Pegs on internal gear hub

Hi,

Is it possible to add rear pegs onto the Bianchi Parco Milano which has a Shimano Nexus Internal Hub 3-speed? Could I just change out the quick release axle with a standard bolt version?

I know it would ruin the look of the bike, but i'm playing with the idea if it's possible...

Any help is appreciated.

Devin

Militant commuter
    I wasn't aware that the Nexus 3-speed came with QR axles...I've never seen one. Besides, the shifter body/cable actuator sits on the end of the axle and has to be removed to get at the axle nuts. Can you post a picture of your current setup?

If you could swap out the axle for a solid one, and if you could find pegs that had the appropriate threading, then yes, you could add pegs.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by fiveten
    Is it possible to add rear pegs onto the Bianchi Parco Milano which has a Shimano Nexus Internal Hub 3-speed? Could I just change out the quick release axle with a standard bolt version?
    It is extremely unlikely that you could use a solid axle for that hub. The hub likely uses it's axle as a drive reference with a toothed gear on the axle that the planetary gears connect with. Go find a blowup of the hub and you will see that the axle is an integral part of the hub gearing system, and as such is a specially designed item.

Rub it............
    The Nexus 3 speed hub has a hollow axle to allow for a pushrod that does the actuation of the gear shift and a cover that goes over the end of the axle.

So you will not be able to install pegs with this type of rear hub.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Militant commuter
    The axle is only partially hollow -- only on the pushrod end...isn't it?

In any case, I didn't think this would fly.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    And the first thing that came to mind was why in the h*ll would you want to do that.

Gonna grind some rails on that Bianchi or ride some homies on the back?
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it was for a lady to ride the rear. I have a new idea and I'll post pictures once it's complete.

Essentially i'm adding another seat, extended from my seat post and supported by the rear bike rack points with recessed footpegs (think rear seat of a motorcycle) instead. Either way it will be a fun project and should gets some laughs here in NYC.

Later,

Devin