RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Planet Bike Super Spot Light question

I ordered and received one of the above lights. I thought it would work with a road bike but it appears it will not fit on a 31.8 handlebar. The clamp is just too small. Has anyone had the same problem? Is there any solution that someone has? If not, can someone suggest a different handlebar mount light for 31.8 road handlebar or should I just go helmet mounted?
    Thanks
    power1369
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by power1369
    I ordered and received one of the above lights. I thought it would work with a road bike but it appears it will not fit on a 31.8 handlebar. The clamp is just too small. Has anyone had the same problem? Is there any solution that someone has? If not, can someone suggest a different handlebar mount light for 31.8 road handlebar or should I just go helmet mounted?
    Thanks
    power1369
    I don't know if the one you have will work or not, but for just riding errands after dark I have a simple little Cateye EL-120. I have a different light system for after dark commuting, but for just a simple LED light, it works well. It has a rubber strap that will fit all bars and it's easy to take on and off so you can swap it between bikes. Here's a link to Cateye's page if you want to check it out....Another Cateye light that is very nice for the cheaper LED lights is the EL-400. It uses a similar strap and you can even use it to strap to your helmet if you wish.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=7&subCatId=2

Hope that helps you out.

Russ

"It's all about style."

Same problem

I purchaced the Cateye HL-EL500 and it came with a standard bar clamp. I had my LBS order an clamp to fit my 31.8 handlebar from Cateye. Cost: $3.50.

I do not know if this clamp will work with your light, but I would highly recommend this light. For a replceable battery system, it works great.
    "It's better to look good, than to feel good."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by power1369
    Thanks
    power1369
    I ordered that same light. Before purchase, I contacted Planetbike and asked if it would fit on oversized bars. The answer is no, the stock clamp will not. However they just finished designing a new clamp for oversized bars, and sent me one. Even the new clamp is a bit difficult to get on, esp as you get closer to the stem, but it works. Give them a holler, their customer service seems top notch.