Defender of Freedom...

Planet X vs. SKS

A quick question, does any have any experince with both the full SKS and Planet Bike road fenders? I've only used the SKS but the PBs are a good bit lighter, anybody used both?
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I use Planet Bike Freddies, and they're amazing. I'm sure SKS would be nice too. Note I'm using these on my commuter, not the dedicated "road bike".

If you're talking about the quick release fenders, I have no experiences with them nor do I know anyone in this town that uses them.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Big is relative
    I used SKS fenders for around three years. I had the full fenders with the breakaway front. I only needed the breakaway feature once when I ran over a large lump of asphalt that stuck to my tire while riding on a MUT. I had modified them heavily for my Soma and made them work on my Gunnar. When I moved to the PNW, I bought Freddy fenders and they were easy to install and have been completely hassle free since. If you don't need the breakaway feature, the Planet Bike stuff is great. I still need to make a coke bottle extension for the front. Adding 3-5" of extension to the front makes a world of difference in the rain no matter what brand you ride.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    They're both good products. We stock the Planet Bike models but I went with the SKS on my commuter for a simple reason. I thought they looked better on a "retro" bike.