RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question

I recently acquired these 3T Ergonova Team Carbon Handlebars and noticed a crack in the stem mounting area where the previous owner overtightened the bolts. My question, from your experience does this look like a cosmetic tear, or has the carbon been compromised? Would you feel comfortable riding these bars? Any help would be appreciated, thank in advance!

Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question-img_0281.jpg
    Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question-img_0280.jpg

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Myself...I would not ride them seeing that from what I can judge to be the scale.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbarko View Post
    I recently acquired these 3T Ergonova Team Carbon Handlebars and noticed a crack in the stem mounting area where the previous owner overtightened the bolts. My question, from your experience does this look like a cosmetic tear, or has the carbon been compromised? Would you feel comfortable riding these bars? Any help would be appreciated, thank in advance!
    I would personaly stay away from them. Seems like the carbon has been compromised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Here are a couple more images, I would appreciate any other input anyone could provide, however, I sense these are not rideable.
    Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question-img_0284_zps74beaee2.jpg
    Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question-img_0282_zps7b8807cb.jpg

Cranky Old Bastard
    The damage looks bad enough to me that I wouldn't trust them.

And a lot of people don't know that these bars are counterfeited in China and cost $70 new. If they're fake you can't have any idea of how well they are made.

Many of us don't buy used carbon bars, seatposts or stems.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbarko View Post
    Here are a couple more images, I would appreciate any other input anyone could provide, however, I sense these are not rideable.
    No, they are perfectly rideable. The problem will come when they fail without warning. Until then, you're good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    No, they are perfectly rideable. The problem will come when they fail without warning. Until then, you're good.
    Spoken like a true ZEN Master .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep. After that, good dental insurance will come in handy. Plastic surgeon possibly, too. Seriously, that handlebar is toast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some FSA carbon bars that have a sticker with alignment marks and some other printing under the clear coat where the stem clamps. The stem winds up disrupting the sticker a bit and it looks bad but the underlying CF is unaffected. Similar is the Trek Madone external seat post that clamps on the outside of the seat tube. The seat tube has a sticker with height marks and it too gets smooshed and wrinkled, but again the underlying CF is unaffected. Can't say this is whats going on with your bars and it is certainly better to be safe than sorry.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    I over-tightened some bars and did the same thing. I suspect that it's cosmetic but it's not worth the risk. Brand name carbon fiber bars can sometimes be found for $100. Even the most expensive carbon fiber bars are less than $500. How much are carbon fiber teeth?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I had a 3T carbon bar that has that same stuff where bar clamps. It was there most expensive bar. When installing for first time and not really tightening stem clamp that stuff started to crack and brake off. After riding and removing bar the stuff was almost completely off. Personally I would just scrape it off and examine carbon underneath. Kinda cheap for 3T to do that. Deda bars have much better grip in that zone and it doesn't Come off either. Removed bar twice still as good as new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Toss them. 3T replaced my Ergosum bar showing similar marks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Don't ride them. I have an FSA K-wing that has less damage than that (the infamous carbon ding, ding, DONK) and I won't ride it. Mine was from a semi slide where the bar hit a rock.

So, look at FSA, Easton or WilliamsCycling bars. I like them all. You can dig and get FSA and Easton on closeout sometimes. What are you looking to spend?
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Thank you for that - you made me laugh! :-)

As the old saying says: "If in doubt, don't."

IMHO, things like this are a good reason to avoid carbon bars (and stems). Unless you really want a shape not possible with alu, you spend vast amounts of money to save a small amount of weight, and get something easier to damage, and with a much more drastic failure mode. Bars are also almost guaranteed to fit the deck in any crash, whereas things like seatposts and forks are much less likely to get bashed or gouged as other things (like bars!) will hit first and protect them much of the time.