RoadBikeReview Member

PowerTap G3 Hub has slight play

I recently bough the PT G3 alloy wheels for my new training wheel and have 'ridden' them 3 times on my CycleOps trainer (45 minutes each time). I noticed that there was a fair amount of play in the rear hub of several mm per side. The shop said that they think this is normal and the hub was built to have some play but I was under the impression that the G3 hub was supposed build up to a stiffer wheel...any ideas? I'm probably going to have to call Saris tomorrow just to be sure but was hoping others had similar experiences.

RoadBikeReview Member

I called Saris (CycleOps parent) and apparently there was an issue with the endcap not being manufactured 100% exact resulting in a slight play in the axle, and therefore a slight play in the wheel. If I ever had any doubt about my purchase it was eliminated when I spoke with Jamie in customer service this morning (no wait at all either) Top notch! They are sending me new end caps to start and if there is still an issue they will warranty the wheel. I don't mind if there are issues if the company stands behind their product and Saris definitely does.

RoadBikeReview Member

Well, I installed the new endcaps and although the play is better, it is still present. I guess this may be normal for the PT G3 hub?

jae
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Old thread, but maybe it will help someone.

I just built up a G3C hub (closeout older CycleOps yellow graphics). I had also swapped the freehub body (from Campy to an old Shimano 8/9/10 speed freehub from my old SL+) before installing it. When I first had it mounted, I was also getting a little bit of play - not even a millimeter at the rim, but still noticeable. After looking at a couple of posts, I simply remounted the freehub body and the endcap and now it's perfectly solid. It seemed like the endcap has an orientation. In other words, instead of just pushing it in, push then turn it (holding the other end so you're not just spinning the axle in the hub). Eventually, it kind of clicked into place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Resurrecting this old thread. I too have some play in my G3 hub. I found out when I tried to adjust my rear brake calipers. With no weight on the bike, my brake pads were centered but the minute I sat on the bike (165lbs) the wheel moved say 3-4mm to the right. Tried with a different wheel and no movement. I took the wheel off and tried wiggling the axle. With caps on (even while pushing hard inwards) the caps seemed to have play. With the end caps off, axle was sturdy and smooth. I've ordered two new end caps and will see if that makes any difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Since someone else started this zombie thread and I have a related question I'll join in on the zombie action.

I just swapped the bearings in my G3 hub (I know PT is supposed to do that). What I noticed is that there was a slight bit of lateral play in the axle. without the freehub and end caps installed. Once those were on the play was gone. I'm guessing this is by design to keep the bearings from resting on the lips of the axle rather than the hub and to prevent the axle from pushing the bearings out over time? I could be wrong, but I know the bearings I installed were the same PN and that they are fully seated.

Travis