RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Powertap Pro Powermeter ??

I'm in the market for a Powertap Pro powermeter...I have the opportunity to buy a new one w/ wheel or a used one w/ wheel with 3000 miles on it and save $150. I'd really like to buy the used Powertap and save the money...has anyone had any problems as the miles get higher on these or know of any depreciation that occurs. Seller says everything is check. I heard that these are bulletproof and can last a ton of miles.

Thanks for any feedback.

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    If the difference in price is only 150, I'd go new. 3k isn't a ton of miles but I'd still get a new one as it is a fairly sensitive piece of equipment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    I'm in the market for a Powertap Pro powermeter...I have the opportunity to buy a new one w/ wheel or a used one w/ wheel with 3000 miles on it and save $150. I'd really like to buy the used Powertap and save the money...has anyone had any problems as the miles get higher on these or know of any depreciation that occurs. Seller says everything is check. I heard that these are bulletproof and can last a ton of miles.

Thanks for any feedback.
    I have 15,000 mile on my PT Pro, and had about the same on a standard unit before that. They both worked flawlessly. Generally, if a Powertap has problems they show up right out of the box or shortly thereafter. If a unit has 3000 miles on it, it's probably fine. The exception is there have been a few units where the torque tube failed after a while. This seems like a random failure, not connected to how many miles the unit had, so a new unit is as likely to develop this (rare) problem as a used one.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC
    If the difference in price is only 150, I'd go new. 3k isn't a ton of miles but I'd still get a new one as it is a fairly sensitive piece of equipment.
    I agree, using the warranty on a PT (or any other power meter) is certainly all to common. The good news is Saris is a good company to deal with, and they treat you fairly. My mount crapped out (pin broke) and they got a new one out to me very fast.

Buy the new one.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

A third choice

I'd say the price is too high on the used unit. How about you negotiate a better price? For me, the $150 is worth it to go with a brand new, fully warranteed unit.