RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Problem with ebay-bought chinese headlights (surprise surprise)

I bought two of these :

DZ88 New 400LM 18650 CREE Q5 LED Black Flashlight Torch White Light 5-Mode Black | eBay

And when I took them out on a night ride, I noticed that they flickered with every bump in the road and randomly dimmed in intensity. At first I thought the batteries weren't charged, but I later noticed they increased in intensity after going over a bump, and then randomly dropped back down again.

I already know they're garbage, I'm gonna go broke at some point and get a cygolite expillion some hundred at some point in the future, I just wanted to post here so that, in the very slim chance I'm missing some easy fix, someone would mention it. I'm pretty sure they're just lousy lights and I once again got caught trying to take the cheap way out.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    If your going to get a cheap light then at least get a Cree T6. I have had bad luck with the Q5 voltage regulators since they take so much current to drive, plus it is no where near as bright as a T6.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It is probably the crappy connectors that come with it. You can try to resolder new ones or sometimes taping em together works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    It seems to be quite common for the circuit boards in lights like this to be loose. If you disassemble the front, you should be able to see the board and two small holes in it on opposite sides. You can stick something into those (needle node pliers might work) and screw it in until it's tight.