banned
    Aug 2008

Problems attaching Garmin sensor to Specialized Roubaix

I purchased a Garmin Edge 305 and am having clearance problems with the cadence and speed sensor. I have Shimano RS10 wheels and I cannot get enough clearance between the spokes and the speed sensor arm even when it is retracted completely towards the unit once it is attached to the right chain stay. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Thanks,
    John

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Mine is on a Roubaix. Sounds to me that you have the sensor arm rotated down. I always have mine rotated up - it can be where ever it needs to be to get the correct clearance. (I tried down and it did not work)

banned
    Aug 2008

I tried that

I tried that and it works that way too, but I was scared of my foot hitting the unit and rotating the arm into the spokes and that would probably break it. If the arm is in the down position and it gets hit by a spoke, the spoke will just knock it away from the wheel. Do you not have that concern?
    Thanks,
    John

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried that and it works that way too, but I was scared of my foot hitting the unit and rotating the arm into the spokes and that would probably break it.
    Mine is that way. Dropped a bottle once and it jammed between my foot and the sensor. (Luck huh!) Pushed the sensor into the spokes, but no damage to either. It just rotated around the chainstay and stretched the zip ties.

Dave.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll never understand putting the sensor on the back of the fork. I know that's the way everyone does it. I always put mine on the front of the fork. That way, if for some reason it gets knocked into the spokes, the rotating spokes push it out of the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IXLR8
    I tried that and it works that way too, but I was scared of my foot hitting the unit and rotating the arm into the spokes and that would probably break it. If the arm is in the down position and it gets hit by a spoke, the spoke will just knock it away from the wheel. Do you not have that concern?
    Thanks,
    John
    No. The sensor is in the same plane as the chainstay so it is not a problem. Also I have Speedplay Zero pedals and I restrict the heel float so my heels cannot hit the stay or the crank arm.