RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

PROFILE DESIGN AIRWING OS , clip on's?

I'm looking for a decent, affordable 31.8 dia. bullhorns and Profile makes a nice one but there doesn't appear to be a section to clip on traditional 25.4mm (1 inch) TT bars? Is anyone familiar with this bar, does it accept a clip on elbow rest?

"Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

RoadBikeReview Member
    you need a shim to put them on an oversized bar

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    you need a shim to put them on an oversized bar
    Don't shims work the other way around?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by irishstu
    Don't shims work the other way around?
    that's waht I thought? If steve was refering to clamping the elbow rest, designed for 25.4 bar, to the airwing's 31.8 center section then you cant shim down in size.
    I was refering to the airwings 25.4 section after the long taper. It's hard to tell from the pic whether they left enough room for a clip-on before the bar starts to curve?
    These things have all been around for 20 years and it still amazes me how many different and poorly thought out "aero bars" are out there.
    My current bar is a profile design bullhorn with 1 inch (25.4) stem clamp area that then tapers down to .93 inches. Such that the clip-on's, from the same manufacturer, don't clamp properly with good surface contact and slide around when you pull on them.
    i'm surprised i'm even considering another Profile product but they all seem like they have something worng with them. No cable grroves, big flat area's that are not clip-on compatible, odd diameters, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    misunderstood what you were trying to do. They will only clamp onto the center section near the stem - if you want something wider my guess is you'd have to get something like the oval concepts bar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    if you want something wider my guess is you'd have to get something like the oval concepts bar.
    then there's 2 different problems. 25.4mm clamp makes stem choices more difficult as 31.8 is now standard and like my current bars, the Oval's taper down from 25.4 to something less than 1 inch so the clip on's don't clamp properly.
    the width of the elbow rests isn't an issue, mine are highly adjustable side to side, fore/ aft etc.
    for 30 bucks delivered brand new I went with the Airwing. Roll of the dice but i'll post back on the results.