RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Proper steps for install latex tubes

I'm thinking about running latex tubes to see what all the fuss is about, and I want to know what the proper steps are for installing them to avoid pinching and blowouts. I've installed many butyl tubes, any different from butyl?

For reference, I will be running them on Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40C wheels with Vittoria Diamante Pro Light tires.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Don't use levers. Inflate. Ride.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I just installed Vitoria latex tubes. Follow the directions in the package. I also use panarcer powder. The tubes are pretty slick out of the box but make them as slippery as you can. I put just a little air in to shape the tube then work into the rim bed. Starting on opposite side from the valve I worked as much of the tire on by hand as possible. I did have to use plastic tire levers to finish but as long as tube is seated in the rim it seems fairly low risk. I never have much luck getting tires on or off without tire levers though.

Quote Originally Posted by cbk57 View Post
    I just installed Vitoria latex tubes. Follow the directions in the package. I also use panarcer powder. The tubes are pretty slick out of the box but make them as slippery as you can. I put just a little air in to shape the tube then work into the rim bed. Starting on opposite side from the valve I worked as much of the tire on by hand as possible. I did have to use plastic tire levers to finish but as long as tube is seated in the rim it seems fairly low risk. I never have much luck getting tires on or off without tire levers though.
    99.99% of the time tire levers=doing it wrong

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    99.99% of the time tire levers=doing it wrong
    Assuming you mean for reinstalling, not for removal, right?
    Unless you have thumbs of steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry but I have been biking for almost 20 years, I don't have real strong hands and have never had any luck getting the last bit of tire bead over the rim without tire levers. Once in a while maybe if it was a looser fitting tire but mostly just does not work for me.

Sorry but I have been biking for almost 20 years, I don't have real strong hands and have never had any luck getting the last bit of tire bead over the rim without tire levers. Once in a while maybe if it was a looser fitting tire but mostly just does not work for me.
    Like I said, you're doing it wrong. I install a ton of tires in my line of work and might get out a tire lever every few months for an install. Doesn't matter how long you've been riding...you don't get good at installing tires as a result of riding a bike. You get good at installing tires by repeatedly installing them the correct way. You know the old saying:

(Perfect) practice makes perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I find the palm of my hands are stronger than my thumbs. I alternate back & forth between one side of tire to other, working toward middle of tire bead farthest from rim. Made sure tube is completely inside tire before inflating.

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    I lightly dust the inner tube (Michelin latex) with power before inserting it. With Dura Ace C24 wheels, not only do you get the very best clincher wheels but you'll never need tire levers for these so you can throw them away. Once the tire is on, I do a fast squeeze all the way around the tire then pump to the desired pressure.

Do they ride or perform any better than butyl tubes? Probably not. I can't really tell the difference. But I never flat so for this reason alone, I keep putting them in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    While there are obviously some tire/rim combinations that are just darn hard to remove/install a tire, most of the time the problem is that people don't work the bead of the tire to the center of the rim. If you do that, you significantly decrease the circumference of the wheel as far as the tire bead is concerned. It's just a matter of working around the wheel and pushing on the bead of the tire to get it centered in the rim. Having done that, tires that seem impossible to install without tire levers go on with a gentle working with the palm of the hand. In many cases, the tire can be removed with no tools as well. It doesn't take strong hands or super thumbs, just good technique.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
    I'm thinking about running latex tubes to see what all the fuss is about, and I want to know what the proper steps are for installing them to avoid pinching and blowouts. I've installed many butyl tubes, any different from butyl?

For reference, I will be running them on Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40C wheels with Vittoria Diamante Pro Light tires.
    Easy, take them out of the box and throw them away. They make no difference and go flat really fast. I found them to be a PITA when I tried them. If you haven't wasted your money on them so far, even better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Easy, take them out of the box and throw them away. They make no difference and go flat really fast. I found them to be a PITA when I tried them. If you haven't wasted your money on them so far, even better.
    well ok I ain't wasting my dinero then!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Has anyone had success with these?
    I have 3 failed attempts. The farthest I got was 25 miles.
    Ive used gloves to install, no levers, and one time I even gave the inside of the tire a light baby powder coating.
    Nothing works.
    I use Vittoria Latex tubes, Continental 4000 tires, and Zip 808.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Ive used gloves to install, no levers, and one time I even gave the inside of the tire a light baby powder coating.
    Nothing works.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMan View Post
    Nothing works.
    Thousands of people have had success with them. You're doing something wrong obviously. Since none of us are in the same room with you and your bike we probably won't be able to help figure it out. Make sure you double check everything...rim, rim strip, tire. They're no different than butyl tubes except they lose air faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Yes, I've had success with latex tubes. The last two years I installed them in the spring when I put my summer tires on (Victtoria Corsa) and removed them when I put my winter tires on (Victtoria Rubio Pro).

So far this year I've ridden a little over 2000 miles without a flat. I think last year I had 1 flat in about 3000 miles.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    They're no different than butyl tubes except they lose air faster.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use them in Enve 4.5s with Conti 4000's - no issues. I put the tubes in a ziplock baggie with babypowder and shake them till coated, one at a time. Install them so they lay flat in the tire, not twisted or bunched up. Inspect both sides before inflating to make sure they aren't between the rim and the tire. Inflate to about 40psi, let all the air out then reinflate to 90 - done. I don't use tire tools to install like other's have said. I have not had any tube failures after install.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Nothing works.
    What happens at 25 miles?

I use latex tubes on my race/go fast wheels and don't understand what all the hub bub is about. I do everything exactly the same as with butyl tubes and have never had a problem.
    I suppose I'm a little more careful but only because it would be a $12 mistake instead of a $5 mistake like with butyl. They don't require any more care.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Nothing works.
    Remove your tire and carefully inspect the inside of the tire casing. There most likely is the remnant of a sharp object that's embedded in the tire casing. If you are having actual blow-outs check to see if you have a cut tire side wall where the new tube actually herniates through the cut.

I install latex tubes the very same as I do butyl tubes and the only difference is I have to add air before every ride.