banned
    Jan 2005

Putting on my flak jacket

Thinking of building another bike. I never rode anything but Campy.
    When I first started riding, I felt Shimano was not a stable product.
    They kept on making so many product changes compared to Campy.
    Maybe they were more intent on innovation?
    BUT I THINK IT IS STABLE NOW!, So don't nuke my house. Just wondering
    if there are any benefits to switching over this time. I tried a test ride on
    a Madone with full Shimano Dura-ace and found the derailuer shifting difficult, I kept
    on missing shifts, probably due to being a newbie. But I noticed the BB bearing spacing
    in the frame was farther apart, a good thing.
    I care about smoothness, upkeep and reliability.
    Just wondering if anyone cares to give an un-biased opinion
    Not interested in starting a war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There was a time when I was ratehr indiferant to Shimano... Now I feel they have a product that is a good value. Not over priced, and fairly durable and reliable.
    Shimano is a line where you get what you pay for in my opinon anyway. You can get "mart" priced, and quality stuff from them them,, or you can get good high end stuff from them to, and points in between
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

eminence grease
    I have a couple of bikes of each. Started with Shimano and now when I build, I do it with Campy. They both work flawlessly if they're set up properly, and they both last if treated with respect. I've changed over to Campy on anything new simply because I prefer the thumb shifters. I won't build another Shimano bike for that reason alone. However, I'm also not about to strip the DA parts off the 3 Shimano bikes I have. They both work, they're both reliable and the only reason to prefer one over the other is ergonomics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I went the other way; after many thousands of miles on Shimano-equipped bikes, I went to Campy about 6 months ago. First, I think that both shift extremely well and are very reliable. Looks is very subjective, but I think Campy is prettier, with more carbon and metal and less plastic. I also prefer the hood shape of Campy, which is smaller and "cleaner" and seems more like an extension of the bars, while Shimano hoods are huge and have cables coming out of them. A buddy of mine who is a full-time mechanic (and a very good one IME) and who works on both, has mentioned that both are good as far as reliability, but that Campy tends to be easier to repair; they'll actually give you individual internal parts, and shifters can usually be fixed, as opposed to shimano where you just have to throw then away and get a new one. He also said that Campy provides better long-term support, i.e. you can still get parts for stuff discontinued years ago. I find Campy slightly less smooth on the shifts (more of a CLUNK into gears), but also more solid (that is I don't blow shifts or overshift). Shifting with shimano I had trouble telling when I had actually clicked into the next gear, and so would often do "down two, up one" shifts, which is messy and noisy. So, on the whole, I prefer Campy, but I think anyone who says that either group doesn't work extremely well should not be trusted.

As for the BB, I agree that Campy is a bit behind on the technology curve; I'm running square-drive Record cranks, and notice no flex, and it can be pointed out that the likes of Tom Boonen and Alessandro Petacchi regularly put a couple thousand watts into their square-drive BB, apparently without major problems. However, if you really want the latest drivetrain technology, there's always the possibility of FSA cranks with a Campy group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

Two things:

1, what material are you going to use for your jacket
    2, which manufacturer, Campy, Shimano or Sram?

Every little counts...
    My experience: Rebuilding rear derailleur springs and pivots: Campy.

Mashed front brake caliper bent pivot but forged parts okay, replaced pivot bolt and bushings: Campy.

Rebuilding shifters, annoying little rattles fixed by replacing return springs: Campy.

OS Axle hub design, bearings and cones (all replaceable, even hub races) that can be adjusted while clamped into the dropouts: Campy.

I also race Shimano, I just replace stuff as it gets busted.