RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Quarq/Red Cranksets & Madone Compatibility - What have I got here?

I'm not sure if this is the most difficult thing to figure out, or what, but can someone just tell me for sure what these cranksets are:

Quarq/Red Cranksets & Madone Compatibility - What have I got here?-img_5487.jpgQuarq/Red Cranksets & Madone Compatibility - What have I got here?-img_5486.jpg

GXP, BB30, bleh bleh bleh. I hate bottom bracket standards (or non-standards should I say).

Short story: I've got a 2014 Trek Madone 5.2, which I assume has the BB90, and I'm trying to swap the Red 22 crankset (at right) with a Quarq Riken R (at the left). Will I be able to fit the Quarq in with different bearings?

Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There is nothing hard about this. A quick google search will give answers to all your questions. The left arm w/ the big axle is a BB/PF30. Not compatible w/ your Trek. The drive side arm w/ chainrings is a GXP, that is compatible w/ your Trek. It would mate up w/ the non drive side arm on the far left. The bearing shield on the drive side arm stays on, clean and grease the outside of both bearings and also the inside where the axle goes through. The shield on the far right is for the non drive side. Use only that shield and a wavy washer if you have one, no other spacers are needed. Make sure the bearing on the non drive side is 22mm ID and has a flange on the inside, the drive side bearing looks right, it should be 24mm ID.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks cxwrench! I didn't think it was really that difficult, I just kept getting mixed results from Google search--plus a dude at the bike shop who kept insisting the BB30 was actually a GXP. I really appreciate your response.

So, there's no way to make the Quarq compatible with my Madone? I'd really like to swap it out, and was hoping maybe there was some way. If not, I'm in the market for a new power meter, I guess.

Anyway, thanks again!

The 'guy at the shop' is a poorly informed idiot. BB30 is obviously a 30mm axle. GXP is 24m through the DS, and it steps down to 22mm before going through the NDS bearing. That guy should be embarrassed.

Nope, no way to make a BB30 crank work in a BB90 Trek. You could buy some Quarq compatible crank arms and swap the power meter over to the new arms, no reason to buy a new one. We just swapped all of ours over to new style graphic Red arms while we wait for new 8 screw power meters to get shipped. I think I swapped arms and rings on about 20 quarqs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You, my good man, have just made my day. I will definitely just try swapping the crank arms then. Can you point me to where I might buy ones like you've used to swap them out? I assume the Red GXP set I already have won't work--plus they're a 175mm, and I want a 170.

You're awesome. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpecrivaine View Post
    You, my good man, have just made my day. I will definitely just try swapping the crank arms then. Can you point me to where I might buy ones like you've used to swap them out? I assume the Red GXP set I already have won't work--plus they're a 175mm, and I want a 170.

You're awesome. Thanks!!!
    Ok, here's some more info. Take a look on the back of your crank, the drive side w/ the quarq. 3 screws or 8 holding the power meter to the arm? 3 is older, 8 is newer. No, your Red GXP crank won't work, it is the standard all carbon Red crank that is 1 piece. SRAM sent us a couple boxes of 'Red' arms that we could use w/ our power meters. I only see Force & below on their website having the seperate arm/spider. If Force graphics work for you, easy peasy. You should be able to order one from any number of places. If you need to have Red graphics, I'll have to look in to that on Monday. The Red arms just might be team issue only, I'll try to find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Ok, here's some more info. Take a look on the back of your crank, the drive side w/ the quarq. 3 screws or 8 holding the power meter to the arm? 3 is older, 8 is newer. No, your Red GXP crank won't work, it is the standard all carbon Red crank that is 1 piece. SRAM sent us a couple boxes of 'Red' arms that we could use w/ our power meters. I only see Force & below on their website having the seperate arm/spider. If Force graphics work for you, easy peasy. You should be able to order one from any number of places. If you need to have Red graphics, I'll have to look in to that on Monday. The Red arms just might be team issue only, I'll try to find out.

It has the 8 screws. Force would work just fine, but Red would match better--not a huge deal for me though the bike is full Red otherwise.

Far as I can tell you'd actually have to buy a Force 22 crank and remove the chainrings and the spider, then replace the spider w/ the Quarq from your current crank, then put the rings back on. Doesn't seem like arms are sold by themselves.