RoadBikeReview Member

Quattro SL pedals ordered

I ordered them after much research. I got them for a great price. I'm very happy to say I liked the reviews they got here. Does anyone here use them and what do you think? Please give me a good run down. Thanks.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    For all the good it'll do, since you've already bought them...

I like mine. Easy to clip into (though it takes a few tries to get the feel of it), easy to get out of. No creaking and no accidental releases. Good corner clearance.

Possible drawbacks: If you like a lot of float, these are not necessarily the best choice. They do have float, but you can feel that they want to return to center. All this means is that you have to do the old-fashioned trial and error cleat alignment process until they're just so. Not a big deal to me.

If your shoes aren't all that stiff, you may get hot spots from the tiny cleat. I know the cleat surround they come with is supposed to support your foot and spread the load, but in my experience it doesn't really work all that well. The surround doesn't touch the pedal frame most of the time, and it's not really all that stiff--probably not enough to make up for a floppy-soled shoe. I asked Crank Bros. about this, but they didn't say much--just that it's "designed" to spread the contact point. They didn't address my direct observations at all. If your shoes are true road shoes, they're probably stiff enough that this is a non-issue.

I have had a failure on mine in less than 600 miles of riding. The main bearing on the non-drive pedal failed. Not spectacularly--I can still ride on it. Once it heats up after about 10 miles, though, things loosen up and the bearing clicks on every revolution of the pedals. Crank Bros. has been very helpful--within 24 hours I had a commitment that they'd send me a rebuild kit. I don't have it yet, but I just emailed them on Monday about it. Since they're rebuildable, I'm not too upset. If I get another failure within a year, though, I'll probably scrap them--I have very little patience for gear I can't get at least two seasons out of without replacing parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

I like 'em

I've been using them for about 6 months (~1,000 miles) and am very pleased. They're easy to get in and out of and I've not experienced any hot spots with my bulky MTB shoes. Just keep in mind that you'll need the cleat adaptor if your shoes don't have the inner mounts. CB sells the cleats with rubber adaptors, if you need 'em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBar
    I've been using them for about 6 months (~1,000 miles) and am very pleased. They're easy to get in and out of and I've not experienced any hot spots with my bulky MTB shoes. Just keep in mind that you'll need the cleat adaptor if your shoes don't have the inner mounts. CB sells the cleats with rubber adaptors, if you need 'em.
    I have inner mounts on my shoes. I'll be getting road shoes soon that are stiff and light. We'll see how my Specialized shoes hold up. I have some Eggbeaters on my mtn bike and I really like them. Now I added some comfort zone insoles to make my feet feel comfortable. I'm sure I'll like the Quattro's very much. Thanks for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up Quattros SL's rock

I put them on the other day with my new Specialized pro carbon road shoes. The pedals are light weight and work well. The shoes are amazing, light and stiff. I'm very happy with my new pieces for my rig. Bike is riding well. I'm riding ok as well. Just got to keep riding and enjoy every minute of it too. Thanks for the good input on the pedals to. The Specialized Pro Carbon Road Shoes got rave reviews. One reason I bought some. Thanks again everyone. Ride on. Peace!