Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Good luck finding a shop that has ever stocked or sold an eTap bike.

You'll need extra good luck finding a shop that has ever built an eTap bike from parts--such that compatibility of cranks was ever a concern....the few bikes that an LBS have ever worked on with eTap, they only had to do dealer assembly out of a shipping container. I've seen an eTap bike IRL a grand total of once....it was at an advert booth at the registration for Gravel Worlds. No one locally stocks them, and I've never seen anyone locally riding it.

As with Di2 debugging, the internet is a far better venue to ask. And Di2 is waaaaaaaay more common than eTap.
    In the Socal area, I see LOTS of Di2 users, and a few Etap guys. But it seems for every 1 Etap in use, there are like 10 Di2 in use, and ususally the folks who own Etap tend to also own Di2 on their other bikes too, and so far, the only thing I have heard from these dual system owners is that Di2 shifts faster and crisper than Etap. I have not heard one guy who own both says Etap shifts better. For all these guys though, their main (and probably sole) reason to go Etap is for the clean wireless look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Good luck finding a shop that has ever stocked or sold an eTap bike.

You'll need extra good luck finding a shop that has ever built an eTap bike from parts--such that compatibility of cranks was ever a concern....the few bikes that an LBS have ever worked on with eTap, they only had to do dealer assembly out of a shipping container. I've seen an eTap bike IRL a grand total of once....it was at an advert booth at the registration for Gravel Worlds. No one locally stocks them, and I've never seen anyone locally riding it.

As with Di2 debugging, the internet is a far better venue to ask. And Di2 is waaaaaaaay more common than eTap.
    Not sure where you live but here in Phoenix eTap is common at a number of shops I frequent. Shadetree Bikes is owned by Kevin who is well connected in the industry including the guys at Factor Bikes (he grew up with Phil Tinstman now with Factor). Just built one there with eTap and they had several already built with eTap and Di2. A team mate wrenches there and I know all the guys and eTap is common.

Jason who owns The Velo Downtown Phoenix is where I first purchased eTap back in 216. They seem to be moving eTap and Shimano electric bikes every month since.

My buddy and best wrench in the biz works over at one of the Landis shops and can vouch that those guys see enough of it that it's sort of ordinary now.

Same thing with the guys I know who work and are loyal to Bike Haus down in old town Scottsdale. Kale has been a high end boutique shop for a long time and they are definitely moving both SRAM, Shimano electric and EPS on a weekly basis. Again common.

I get bike fit work done at a place in N. Scottsdale called Cyclologic. I've known Paraic McGlynn who owns the place for years. He does a sh!t ton of work with the Trek Factory team and many heavy hitter road pro and triathletes all the time as well as regular joes like me. I see bikes equipped with both eTap and Di2 or Ui2 all the time up there on bikes of riders getting fit or bikes they are moving which is not a lot. They aren't much of a retail thing as a fit oriented resource.

Same with my buddy Markus who owns Bicycle Ranch...

And the crown friggin jewel of moving eTap and Di2 and Campy EPS has got to be Airpark Bikes way up in N. Scottsdale. They probably move as much as all the other shops combined. I don't do much biz up there but, one of the guys who runs our team is a rep for Sidi, Chipollini, Suomy, GQ-6, Ale etc...and from time to time we support things that happen up there.
    Just this week end I just rode with Pietro Caucchioli at a Chipollini demo function. The eTap, Shimano and Campy EPS electric equipped bikes were to my left and right. Super fun to ride with Pietro. 20lbs over fighting weight and doesn't ride much in Tampa but, still can lay down some insane power. I was surprised to learn Mario rides Shimano but then I guess when they pay him what they pay him it's not surprising. Just strange to see so many of the bikes not equipped with Campy.

So yeah...eTap and Shimano electric are alive and well here in the valley. However, I admit, this is just my n=1 experience. Probably the college students and guys who commute or live under a rock or have no money don't see it. Maybe I see so much of it because the weather is so damn nice year around and I'm at that point in life where I'm around many who have plenty of money to buy this stuff. Not sure what it is but to say no one stocks or sells eTap or Shimano electric around here is far from the truth. And not all of this is pure road stuff. We have plenty of gravel around and many bikes are equipped with the stuff. I'm not sure when this is going to happen but, some of the guys that run the Belgian Waffle ride in Socal want to do one here. I may be part of a group helping them on a route...point is at least down here, electric and gravel are mixing well.

Agree that Shimano is more common than eTap which is more common than EPS at least here in the valley from what I've seen. Still plenty of eTap around and enough that it's easy to find plenty of people well versed with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrizo1 View Post
    That is exactly what I am going to do, installed and see how it goes if I am not happy with the results then I replace the crankset

I am planning on installing it my self not to save $2 dollars but to have fun doing it.
    Cool. My apologies if I came off as an ass. I guess I should clarify that I've no experience with anyone using eTap and an Ultegra crank. Only the latest version of Dura Ace (9100). 2 that I can think of so far and I rode one of them but, just "around the block" to check something else out on the Factor frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Cool. My apologies if I came off as an ass. I guess I should clarify that I've no experience with anyone using eTap and an Ultegra crank. Only the latest version of Dura Ace (9100). 2 that I can think of so far and I rode one of them but, just "around the block" to check something else out on the Factor frame.
    does Etap automatically adjust for the spacing difference between the 2 front chainrings? If it doesn't, then there will be some non-optimal shifting?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not sure where you live but here in Phoenix eTap is common at a number of shops I frequent. Shadetree Bikes is owned by Kevin who is well connected in the industry including the guys at Factor Bikes (he grew up with Phil Tinstman now with Factor). Just built one there with eTap and they had several already built with eTap and Di2. A team mate wrenches there and I know all the guys and eTap is common.

Jason who owns The Velo Downtown Phoenix is where I first purchased eTap back in 216. They seem to be moving eTap and Shimano electric bikes every month since.

My buddy and best wrench in the biz works over at one of the Landis shops and can vouch that those guys see enough of it that it's sort of ordinary now.

Same thing with the guys I know who work and are loyal to Bike Haus down in old town Scottsdale. Kale has been a high end boutique shop for a long time and they are definitely moving both SRAM, Shimano electric and EPS on a weekly basis. Again common.

I get bike fit work done at a place in N. Scottsdale called Cyclologic. I've known Paraic McGlynn who owns the place for years. He does a sh!t ton of work with the Trek Factory team and many heavy hitter road pro and triathletes all the time as well as regular joes like me. I see bikes equipped with both eTap and Di2 or Ui2 all the time up there on bikes of riders getting fit or bikes they are moving which is not a lot. They aren't much of a retail thing as a fit oriented resource.

Same with my buddy Markus who owns Bicycle Ranch...

And the crown friggin jewel of moving eTap and Di2 and Campy EPS has got to be Airpark Bikes way up in N. Scottsdale. They probably move as much as all the other shops combined. I don't do much biz up there but, one of the guys who runs our team is a rep for Sidi, Chipollini, Suomy, GQ-6, Ale etc...and from time to time we support things that happen up there.
    Just this week end I just rode with Pietro Caucchioli at a Chipollini demo function. The eTap, Shimano and Campy EPS electric equipped bikes were to my left and right. Super fun to ride with Pietro. 20lbs over fighting weight and doesn't ride much in Tampa but, still can lay down some insane power. I was surprised to learn Mario rides Shimano but then I guess when they pay him what they pay him it's not surprising. Just strange to see so many of the bikes not equipped with Campy.

So yeah...eTap and Shimano electric are alive and well here in the valley. However, I admit, this is just my n=1 experience. Probably the college students and guys who commute or live under a rock or have no money don't see it. Maybe I see so much of it because the weather is so damn nice year around and I'm at that point in life where I'm around many who have plenty of money to buy this stuff. Not sure what it is but to say no one stocks or sells eTap or Shimano electric around here is far from the truth. And not all of this is pure road stuff. We have plenty of gravel around and many bikes are equipped with the stuff. I'm not sure when this is going to happen but, some of the guys that run the Belgian Waffle ride in Socal want to do one here. I may be part of a group helping them on a route...point is at least down here, electric and gravel are mixing well.

Agree that Shimano is more common than eTap which is more common than EPS at least here in the valley from what I've seen. Still plenty of eTap around and enough that it's easy to find plenty of people well versed with it.
    places like Scottsdale, and Socal, are like cycling maven galore. People here are spoiled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    does Etap automatically adjust for the spacing difference between the 2 front chainrings? If it doesn't, then there will be some non-optimal shifting?
    I'm not sure I understand the context of that? I mean after aligning the guide marks with the big ring and setting the height of the fd you can adjust the limits. Is that what you mean? If the context is that there maybe (I don't know what they are) spacing increase of sram products between big and little rings compared to Shimano, I have no clue but, don't think so. I've never thought about it and besides the limits not sure that that would matter? I mean if sram has a larger gap then if limits are set properly with a smaller gap I'd think shifting would be quicker? I'm out of my area of expertise...cxwrench?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Really? Give it a rest.
    Whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    32and3cross What I honestly think is that he recognized that his post was a little harsh and that only make him a better man

CX thanks for the advice I really appreciated
    And I am sorry about my last night comments
    Really you think he was the harsh one. He asked you to post in the correct forum actaully he said it "would be nice" if you did.
    This was your response "I move it just for you *******".
    Im gonna guess the "*******" was not a nice word to call someone so I think its you that need to learn some manners.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm not sure I understand the context of that? I mean after aligning the guide marks with the big ring and setting the height of the fd you can adjust the limits. Is that what you mean? If the context is that there maybe (I don't know what they are) spacing increase of sram products between big and little rings compared to Shimano, I have no clue but, don't think so. I've never thought about it and besides the limits not sure that that would matter? I mean if sram has a larger gap then if limits are set properly with a smaller gap I'd think shifting would be quicker? I'm out of my area of expertise...cxwrench?
    what I mean is this,
    1. the fd cage is a fixed width, and furthermore, this width between an Etap and Di2 cage is also diffrent
    2. the spacing between the front rings are also fixed, and furthermore, this spacing is also different (a little bit) between Sram and Shimano. Even within Shimano family, the spacing is different between the 6800 and 8000 crankset (same with its Dura Ace equivalent).

So you have the fd cage with a fixed space, you have the front rings with different fixed spacing, well then, this leaves the fd servo as the only component with the ability to adjust itself to accommodate these differing widths and spacing. Right? And if the fd servo cannot automatically adjust to these differences in spacing, then the shift would not be optimal if you mix-n-match components. Even if you set the limits correctly, the shifting could still be non-optimal. This doesn't mean shifting won't work because whatever differences are small enough that they're still close to specs to allow things to work, but it's just non-optimal. That's my thinking.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I've set up a couple of etap bikes w/ existing Shimano cranks and they seem to work fine. Yes, the shifting is a bit slower than Di2 and it's not adjustable for speed like Shimano is but it works fine. I've never run into any problems w/ etap and I've (recently) started to run into more problems w/ Di2. Part of this is no doubt due to the sheer numbers over Di2 that are out there at this point but it seems to have gotten more finicky lately.

I think that if the limits are set correctly it should work fine w/ a Shimano crank.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    started to run into more problems w/ Di2. Part of this is no doubt due to the sheer numbers over Di2 that are out there at this point but it seems to have gotten more finicky lately.

I think that if the limits are set correctly it should work fine w/ a Shimano crank.
    What Di2 problems ?, if you don't mind the question and the thread hijack. I'm thinking about plunking down a grand for an 8050 upgrade.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    32and3cross What I honestly think is that he recognized that his post was a little harsh and that only make him a better man

CX thanks for the advice I really appreciated
    And I am sorry about my last night comments
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I know you are likely a nice person, but please donít apologize to CX, it just encourages him to be a p***k to somebody else who mistakenly posts in the wrong forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    What Di2 problems ?, if you don't mind the question and the thread hijack. I'm thinking about plunking down a grand for an 8050 upgrade.
    It's just not as reliable as it was for the last bunch of years. It almost seems like Shimano has updated it so many times that they've managed to 'improve' the reliability out of it. I've had to get our Shimano rep in a couple of times to diagnose stuff that I couldn't. Sometimes a component of the system will cause constant battery drain...I've had a couple of derailleurs that drain the battery and one of the bluetooth parts end up being the problem. It's still a very small percentage of the systems that end up having problems but it used to be pretty much problem free.

Like etap.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Regarding Di2 and battery drain, I've heard from a highend LBS here (over half of the bikes they sell come with Di2) that if the firmware are not the same across all Di2 components, then it could cause battery drain. Solution is to keep all their firmware up to date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12