Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Question about SRAM Etap.

I am getting the SRAM Etap set.
    Should replace the crankset, cassette and chain to SRAM as well?

The bike has:
    Crankset Ultegra R8000 50/34(compact)
    Cassette Shimano Ultegra, 11-28, 11 speed
    Chain Shimano Ultegra

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrizo1 View Post

The bike has:
    Chain Shimano Ultegra

Thanks
    If I were you then I would run it. It should work just as well as the sram stuff and I prefer shimano cassettes.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Thanks for moving your post. As we both have replied you don't need to change a thing. And as bubba posted a lot of people prefer the Shimano cassettes as they seem to be a little less noisy compared to the SRAM cassettes. I would check your derailleur hanger alignment when you install the parts, if you have the tool to do it accurately.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    honetstly Cx Im suprised you even gave him advice after he prved he was a thin skinned infant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    honetstly Cx Im suprised you even gave him advice after he prved he was a thin skinned infant.
    32and3cross What I honestly think is that he recognized that his post was a little harsh and that only make him a better man

CX thanks for the advice I really appreciated
    And I am sorry about my last night comments

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    32and3cross What I honestly think is that he recognized that his post was a little harsh and that only make him a better man

I know you are likely a nice person, but please don’t apologize to CX, it just encourages him to be a p***k to somebody else who mistakenly posts in the wrong forum.

No worries, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I know you are likely a nice person, but please don’t apologize to CX, it just encourages him to be a p***k to somebody else who mistakenly posts in the wrong forum.
    Please...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Really? Give it a rest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

The bike has:
    Chain Shimano Ultegra

Thanks
    I had the issue of the front derailleur being too close to the crank arm (FC-9000, 50/34).
    My seat tube had a 35mm diameter. The derailleur was mounted with a clamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_Illesch View Post
    I had the issue of the front derailleur being too close to the crank arm (FC-9000, 50/34).
    Wow that looks really close

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba117 View Post
    If I were you then I would run it. It should work just as well as the sram stuff and I prefer shimano cassettes.
    I dislike Shimano because it wears out too fast in comparison to SRAM. Everyone rides differently, so YMMV . . . Literally!

When the chain on my last bike was replaced with a Shimano chain, I got one season before it needed replacing. Went back to SRAM and got three riding seasons. I got a bike two years ago with Shimano groupset, admittedly low end, and I need to replace the chainrings because they are worn and teeth are chipped. The chain has also been replaced on that bike three times in the last two years. Total of about 2,500 miles in that time. Not much mileage at all, if you ask me. The bike is now demoted to commuting and errands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_Illesch View Post
    So the crankarm is too close, but is it causing an issue? If it does, then did you replace the crankset with a Sram? I assume the Sram set will then make the distance between your feet wider?? and does this effect "Q factor" cause you any problem with pedaling stroke?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

The bike has:
    Chain Shimano Ultegra

Thanks
    a friend of mine has etap and the ultegra 6800 crankset. Front shifting is not quite as smooth as my di2 8050 system. On a few occasions, his chain did not want to go from small to big ring immediately, it took him a few revolutions (with accompanying loud chain noise) before the chain will jump, and one at least one occasion the chain jumps off the big ring to the outside when shifting from small to big. Personally, if I were going etap, i'd go with the sram crank too for optimal shifting experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    a friend of mine has etap and the ultegra 6800 crankset. Front shifting is not quite as smooth as my di2 8050 system. On a few occasions, his chain did not want to go from small to big ring immediately, it took him a few revolutions (with accompanying loud chain noise) before the chain will jump, and one at least one occasion the chain jumps off the big ring to the outside when shifting from small to big. Personally, if I were going etap, i'd go with the sram crank too for optimal shifting experience.
    Thanks

That is what I am afraid of.
    How about the cassette? Shouldn’t that one be replace to a SRAM to since you shift that one more often.

Thanks

That is what I am afraid of.
    How about the cassette? Shouldn’t that one be replace to a SRAM to since you shift that one more often.
    No, as more than one of us has already posted the cassette doesn't need to be changed. It is EXACTLY the same spacing as a Shimano cassette. When SRAM first made road drivetrains I worked the the US pro team that was their development team. We used Shimano cassettes because SRAM didn't have their own yet. This was 10 speed, but 11 is similar. Same spacing, same splines, same cog thickness. They are completely and totally interchangeable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No, as more than one of us has already posted the cassette doesn't need to be changed. It is EXACTLY the same spacing as a Shimano cassette. When SRAM first made road drivetrains I worked the the US pro team that was their development team. We used Shimano cassettes because SRAM didn't have their own yet. This was 10 speed, but 11 is similar. Same spacing, same splines, same cog thickness. They are completely and totally interchangeable.
    Understood
    But how about the crankset? Aclimjury posted that there may be an isssue with it based on his friend experience

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Understood
    But how about the crankset? Aclimjury posted that there may be an isssue with it based on his friend experience
    Dude you said you're getting eTap. Just put it on and see if it works then report back. If it doesn't then report back why it doesn't so we can tell you to find another mechanic who knows how to set it up. if you want to save $2 and diy then have fun. But to worry about a crankset not working (as well as x) because a stranger on a internet forum said a friend said it didn't work is ludicrous.

FWIW I'm a long time user of eTap with SRAM/Quarq cranks/rings and on occasion it fcks up. Sh!t happens and things need to get tweaked when you ride a bit. I happen to really enjoy how eTap levers shift but, the physical shift of Shimano is superior in speed and crispness (IMO). I just can't stand the shimano shift mechanism compared to SRAM. Not to mention I really enjoy the F1 shift concept of SRAM and how simple it is. Personnel pref. Lots of peeps on eTap with Shimano cranks fwiw. Doesn't seem to be an area of complaint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Dude you said you're getting eTap. Just put it on and see if it works then report back. If it doesn't then report back why it doesn't so we can tell you to find another mechanic who knows how to set it up. if you want to save $2 and diy then have fun. But to worry about a crankset not working (as well as x) because a stranger on a internet forum said a friend said it didn't work is ludicrous.

FWIW I'm a long time user of eTap with SRAM/Quarq cranks/rings and on occasion it fcks up. Sh!t happens and things need to get tweaked when you ride a bit. I happen to really enjoy how eTap levers shift but, the physical shift of Shimano is superior in speed and crispness (IMO). I just can't stand the shimano shift mechanism compared to SRAM. Not to mention I really enjoy the F1 shift concept of SRAM and how simple it is. Personnel pref. Lots of peeps on eTap with Shimano cranks fwiw. Doesn't seem to be an area of complaint.
    he's asking legit questions, he's about to invest a chunk of money in hardware that he's not sure will work as he wishes it to work. Isn't the internet supposed to be a place that one could conveniently ask a bunch of strangers for opinions pretty effectively? How else is he gonna get this much info in a short period of time. Personally, I learn something new in this thread, that the etap front shifter can be too close to the Shimano crankarm!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Understood
    but i think my friend's case is also rare. I also know a few other guys with etap and Shimano cranks and they seem to be fine. I think this particular friend is problematic because he likes to crosschain to the max and he tend to shift under pedal pressure, so it's when shifting conditions are less than ideal would you find these little issues pop up. But if you shift like an experienced cyclist, then the combo should fine.

Also, the Ultegra 6800 and 8000 cranksets have different spacing between their front rings. So I'm not sure if either of these cranks would play nicer or worse with the etap

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    he's asking legit questions, he's about to invest a chunk of money in hardware that he's not sure will work as he wishes it to work. Isn't the internet supposed to be a place that one could conveniently ask a bunch of strangers for opinions pretty effectively? How else is he gonna get this much info in a short period of time. Personally, I learn something new in this thread, that the etap front shifter can be too close to the Shimano crankarm!
    Never said he wasn't.

Yes.

Go to a shop and ask a person who gets paid to know.

I'm happy for you. Not being snarky. That's cool. Just don't think it's the norm but then again I'm just a random stranger on the internet.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Never said he wasn't.

Yes.

Go to a shop and ask a person who gets paid to know.

I'm happy for you. Not being snarky. That's cool. Just don't think it's the norm but then again I'm just a random stranger on the internet.
    Good luck finding a shop that has ever stocked or sold an eTap bike.

You'll need extra good luck finding a shop that has ever built an eTap bike from parts--such that compatibility of cranks was ever a concern....the few bikes that an LBS have ever worked on with eTap, they only had to do dealer assembly out of a shipping container. I've seen an eTap bike IRL a grand total of once....it was at an advert booth at the registration for Gravel Worlds. No one locally stocks them, and I've never seen anyone locally riding it.

As with Di2 debugging, the internet is a far better venue to ask. And Di2 is waaaaaaaay more common than eTap.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

That is exactly what I am going to do, installed and see how it goes if I am not happy with the results then I replace the crankset

I am planning on installing it my self not to save $2 dollars but to have fun doing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Also, the Ultegra 6800 and 8000 cranksets have different spacing between their front rings. So I'm not sure if either of these cranks would play nicer or worse with the etap
    The Shimano compatibility chart shows the 6870 and 8050 Di2 front derailers to be compatible with a 6800 crank. If I'm reading it correctly. That might only mean that Di2 can handle whatever differences might exist.

2017-2018 SHIMANO Product Information Web

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The Shimano compatibility chart shows the 6870 and 8050 Di2 front derailers to be compatible with a 6800 crank. If I'm reading it correctly. That might only mean that Di2 can handle whatever differences might exist.

2017-2018 SHIMANO Product Information Web
    That chart also says that the 6870 front derailleur is not compatible with the 8000 crank.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCooled View Post
    That chart also says that the 6870 front derailleur is not compatible with the 8000 crank.
    Yeah, and I think we both are getting off topic, as the OP has an 8000 crank, so he’s going to have to install E-Tap and find out if it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast