RoadBikeReview Member

Quill stem, stem adapter, oversize bar?????

I've been looking into putting an ergonomic handlebar on my road bike, an FSA k-wing. Problem is, I have a 1" threaded fork and 3T quill stem. No quill on the market comes in a 31.8 oversize size to fit all these new ergonomic bars. So my options are, buy a new fork, threadless headset, stem, and finally the k-wing bar. Ouch! No way, too expensive! Stay with what I have now and forget about the ergonomic bars. Or, buy a 1" quill stem adapter and then a new stem, so I can get any oversize bar. So my question is, how safe, stiff, etc. is putting a quill stem adapter going to be? And which quill stem adapter is recommended. I believe ITM, Deda, Profile, 3T all make them.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Fattybiker; 03-04-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add info to title

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Well, using a quill + an adapter instead of a new threadless stem gives you one more spot that can loosen or creak I suppose. I used a quill adapter for a while on my last bike and didn't have any problems with it. Can end up being quite a bit heavier than a new stem, though. I don't think there's much difference between one brand and the next. I bought a Profile adapter because it was the only one I could find back then that let me go from a 1 inch headset to a 1 1/8 inch stem.
    Last edited by loosecannon; 03-04-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Clydesdale weighs in...

Heavy, but will work fine.

I have the same setup on my Bianchi rain bike. I believe I bought an off brand from Performance or Nashbar. I run a standard 1 1/8 threadless stem and OS Cinelli bars. Very stiff, just pretty heavy. But I did it for the same reason as you as it is a WHOLE lot cheaper than buying a new fork and headset.

I have put plenty of miles on this setup without issue. Other than weight my only knock on it is it looks a little kludgy since there are gaps to the headset and no spacers, but otherwise it is fine.
    So, if I understand this, I am a Clydesdale Fred who is a borderline poser? I thought I was just slow!

Riding towards Delmarva.
    I have an threaded/threadless adaptor on my beater single speed. Rode it yesterday on it's first century, and have about 1000 miles on it. Seems perfectly logical and strong to me.