RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

R440 shifter problem...Front Derailleur...HELP!!

I have a new Scott Roadster with flat bar shifters. It has never been built.

I am having trouble setting up the FRONT derailler (triple) to work properly. I've never had to deal with 3 chainrings before (maybe that's the problem!). I am following the Shimano procedure for set up, but the shifter seems to have 4 positions (where I think it should have 3...one for each chainring). I have worked on bikes for years with no problems. This one has me baffled.

The bike is set up with the proper R440 shifters and R443 front derailleur. It is an 8-speed triple. I've got the rear shifting fine.

I aligned the FD so it is 2mm off the largest chainring teeth, then parallel to the largest chainring. I adjust the FD to the smallest chainring using the limit screw so the derailleur is 0.5mm away from the chain. Then attach the cable (I have the proper routing) and remove slack.

Here is where the problem starts. The shifter has 4 positions. One for the smallest chainring. The first click moves the derailleur a little towards the middle chainring, but only a few mm (the shifter indicator remains at the smallest chainring, moving just a slight bit). The second click of the shifters is for the middle chainring (at least according to the shifter indicator), but the chain doesn't go onto the middle chainring (there is a lot of rubbing of the FD and chain at this point). The third click of the shifter moves the FD up to the big chainring, but way too far. It seems like this shifter has too much throw. It has 4 positions, and moves the FD too far.

If I adjust the limit screw properly on the FD for the largest chainring (0.5mm betwenn FD and chain), I cannot shift into the 4th position (largest chainring) at all. The shifter tries to go too far, and the limit screw will not allow it. It seems like I have the cable too tight. If I loosen the cable, I cannot shift into the largest chainring at all.

Any tips on how to set this properly???? I am following Shimano's procedure..

I cannot figure out why the shifter has 4 positions (is it broken?).
    Last edited by john trials; 03-27-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Obviously not doping
    I think that the extra position is a trim position, most likely for the middle ring, so that you can get to all the cogs in the back without any rub. you should have one click to get from the smallest to the middle ring to get you on the larger cogs in the back. click in the middle ring again to move the fd just a hair so you dont rub on the smaller cogs in the back, then click once more to get you to the big ring. Hope that helps.