RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Ramped / Pinned Chainrings Question

I have a Dura Ace 7700 53/39 double crankset. I'd like to swap the original 39 tooth for a 38 tooth Salsa ring to get a little more spin on the steeper hills. The Salsa ring does not have any ramps/pins etc. It is a generic chainring. They are both 5 bolt, 130 BCD so physical fit should be fine. From what I have been reading, the pins/ramps are only necessary on the big ring & the middle if you have a triple chainring setup. Is this correct? Will swapping them impair the shifting? The goal here is just to lower the gears a tad for some relief on the occasional long pitches. For the most part, I dig the double chainring & will continue on with the 39 if this does not fly. I should probably also mention that I am using a 12-27 in the back with short derailluer, so switching to mountain cassette is not ideal. Thanks for any replies

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

should be OK...

You're correct that the small ring does not have any ramps or pins. There is some difference in the ramps on the big ring, depending on whether it's intended to work with a 39 or 42. I doubt that dropping 1 tooth would make much difference in the shifting. Of course it won't provide much of a change to your lowest gear either, only 2.6%, or about 1/4 of the difference in a normal cog change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    OK. Thanks for the reply. You're right, the overall change on paper is pretty small. I'll swap them out & see if it makes any noticeable difference on the hills. The cost for trying is minimal at least. Thanks, Mike.
    Last edited by farva; 06-17-2006 at 06:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Farva
    I've been riding a 38T Salsa on the inner position for around 18 months now. Started with it paired with a 52T (Shimano triple outer), now have it with a 50T TA outer. That's on a bike that started with a 39/53 Ultegra throughout drivetrain.

Haven't noticed a scrap of difference in changing with any of the ring combos I tried. Presently run either a 13-26 or 13-27 on the rear, depending on which wheel I use - the cassettes are a mix of Ultegra, 105 and SRAM cogs.

Hope that helps

Dereck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Cool. Thanks. That's good to hear