RoadBikeReview Member

RD Pulley Lube/Maintenance?

Have never given any thought to what the pulleys on my Rival RD might need maintenance-wise. Quick google search turned up very little. Appreciate any insights as to how often maint is required, as well as specifics on "how to."

Thanks!
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Big is relative
    According to the SRAM website, the pulleys have bearings. Unless the bearings have failed, just keep the RD clean with the occassional wipe down. Next time you replace the chain, see how smooth they turn.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The bearings are 'sealed' so there's really nothing to do.
    You want to keep the wheels clean of course but be carful not to get carried away with that........although they are sealed and theoretically this shouldn't happen I've made the mistake of having some cleaning agent get inside the pully wheel bearings thus drying them out and causing a squeak.
    Just wipe 'em clean and don't slop on degreaser so it doesn't have a change to run inside the bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    don't mean to hi-jack,my post count is too low to start a new thread. anybody know what size hex to remove 6700 rear derailer.....don't have one large enough ?........on your question....I use some Dupont teflon multi use spray to clean and lube rear derailers.....about $4.99 at most Lowes....good for other uses also

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You want to keep the wheels clean of course but be carful not to get carried away with that........although they are sealed and theoretically this shouldn't happen I've made the mistake of having some cleaning agent get inside the pully wheel bearings thus drying them out and causing a squeak.
    Just wipe 'em clean and don't slop on degreaser so it doesn't have a change to run inside the bearings.
    what? you can service ANY 'sealed' bearing very easily. SRAM pulleys are one of the very easiest parts on your bike to clean/lubricate. if they're sealed how did you manage to get cleaner into the bearings?
    remove the pulleys from the derailleur cage. the metal shields will pretty much fall off. wipe the outside clean. remove the 'seals' from the bearings w/ a dental pick or razor blade. clean the bearings, and dry them. re-grease the bearings, replace the seals and install in the derailleur. this is exactly the same as any other 'sealed' bearing...doing it w/ some regularity will help extend the life of your bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabkr View Post
    don't mean to hi-jack,my post count is too low to start a new thread. anybody know what size hex to remove 6700 rear derailer.....don't have one large enough ?........on your question....I use some Dupont teflon multi use spray to clean and lube rear derailers.....about $4.99 at most Lowes....good for other uses also
    you don't have a 5mm allen? nearly all 'attachment' bolts on modern bikes use a 5mm allen. the exceptions are many stem bolts, 5mm bolts that use a 4mm allen are popular. brake pad holders from SRAM & Shimano use 4mm allen.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can certainly remove the seals and clean them. However, though probably far from ideal, I find what I do to be sufficient for my purposes, and that is simply dribbling some medium weight oil on gaps between the bearing covers and jockey wheel and spinning the wheels. I do this periodically, but also when I have the chain removed from the bike and it's easy to ascertain how freely and smoothly the bearings spin. The seals might be expected to prevent oil from getting into the bearings, but in my experience, enough oil gets in to keep the jockey wheels spinning free and true. On my most recent bike, after 2 years and 11k miles the Red RD jockey wheels are still smooth and free. FWIW, these are ceramic bearings. I have many more miles on my previous 12 year old Ultegra RD with bushing top jocky wheel and it too is still fine, and that's been on my winter/rain bike.

If I had to replace them now after 12 years, or even after 2 years, I'd be plenty happy with the service life.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    dude relax. Maint of pulley wheel opinions aren't worth getting bent over.

My point wasn't that he can't do anything but that he doesn't need to. I've never worn out or heard of those bearing wearing out prior to their life expiring anyway because of teeth wear. If you think he needs to take them apart and lube thats fine but I haven't found it necessary. I realize the consequences are huge if I'm wrong, what are we talking $12 every 5 years maybe?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabkr View Post
    dude relax. Maint of pulley wheel opinions aren't worth getting bent over.

My point wasn't that he can't do anything but that he doesn't need to. I've never worn out or heard of those bearing wearing out prior to their life expiring anyway because of teeth wear. If you think he needs to take them apart and lube thats fine but I haven't found it necessary. I realize the consequences are huge if I'm wrong, what are we talking $12 every 5 years maybe?
    i'm not bent at all. just bugs me a bit when people say stuff that isn't necessarily true, or they don't make their point w/ clarity. yes, pulleys are very minor little parts, but if you're taking things apart to clean it only adds a few minutes to do them as well. those bearings can get so dirty they don't even spin, the pulley just rotates on the bolt. that probably only means a loss of a watt or so, but i just like knowing it's done correctly. when you go up hill like i do, you need all the help you can get!
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    ....your right CXWRENCH ....put a 5mm through hole,fit perfect,I thought it was a 10-12mm that fit on outside. NEW TO THIS BIKE MECHANIC STUFF.....THANKS