RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

RD-R9150 shifting issue with 9070 components

2014 S-Works Roubaix, 9070 component group with SW-R600 remote shifter.
    All components updated to most recent firmware versions.
    Attempting to install the RD-R9150 as the sole 9100 component in a 9070group, the system does not shift correctly. Specifically...
    ...On small ring, RD will NOT shift to 11t and 12t cogs...period.
    ...On big ring, RD traverses the entire range of the cassette without issue.
    ...If on the big ring and on the 11t or 12t cog and attempt to shift tosmall ring, system ignores the front shift directive and shifts therear inward 2 cogs instead (from 11 up to 13 or 12 to 14).
    ...If on big ring and on any cog other than 11t or 12t the front shifts down to the small ring as expected.
    Additionally...
    ...Setting the group to the big ring and the 11t cog, thendisconnecting the R9150 and reconnecting the RD-9070, shifting from thebig ring to the small happens as expected and DOES NOT ghost-shift the9070. It apparently knows the RD-9070 is connected.

As stated, all components on most current firmware version. Repeatedhard-resets of the Di2 system have no impact on the behavior described.After the first directive to shift off the big ring is ignored and therear is shifted instead, a subsequent shift off the big ring happens asexpected as the chain is no longer on the 11t or 12t cog.

Anyone have experience with this specific combination that differs from mine?
    Anyone have any thoughts about what might be the issue...other than the obvious "firmware bug" (or feature)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    NEVER MIND...
    It actually is a feature. Page 85 in dealer manual. Apparently with the intention of preventing a condition with too much slack in the chain. The restriction can be overridden, but only if the chain ring gap is less than 14 teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by ottavik View Post
    2014 S-Works Roubaix, 9070 component group with SW-R600 remote shifter.
    All components updated to most recent firmware versions.
    Attempting to install the RD-R9150 as the sole 9100 component in a 9070group, the system does not shift correctly. Specifically...
    ...On small ring, RD will NOT shift to 11t and 12t cogs...period.
    ...On big ring, RD traverses the entire range of the cassette without issue.
    ...If on the big ring and on the 11t or 12t cog and attempt to shift tosmall ring, system ignores the front shift directive and shifts therear inward 2 cogs instead (from 11 up to 13 or 12 to 14).
    ...If on big ring and on any cog other than 11t or 12t the front shifts down to the small ring as expected.
    Additionally...
    ...Setting the group to the big ring and the 11t cog, thendisconnecting the R9150 and reconnecting the RD-9070, shifting from thebig ring to the small happens as expected and DOES NOT ghost-shift the9070. It apparently knows the RD-9070 is connected.

As stated, all components on most current firmware version. Repeatedhard-resets of the Di2 system have no impact on the behavior described.After the first directive to shift off the big ring is ignored and therear is shifted instead, a subsequent shift off the big ring happens asexpected as the chain is no longer on the 11t or 12t cog.

Anyone have experience with this specific combination that differs from mine?
    Anyone have any thoughts about what might be the issue...other than the obvious "firmware bug" (or feature)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    More of a CYA issue. When cross chaining small/small it's easy for the chain to grab the pins/ramps of the big ring and ghost shift. Part of the new synchro shift feature set.

B2
    You talking to me?
    I've been trying to figure out if the exact same issue is "normal" for a few weeks now. After reading your post I found the same explation on page 146 of the Dealer Manual that I downloaded. Glad you posted - Thanks.

On a related note, in my case, the RD-9150 is being used on a S-Works Crux which is more of a gravel bike for me. With the rough roads and no clutch in the RD the chain slap is significant even without the two smallest cogs so this new feature might not be all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ottavik View Post
    NEVER MIND...
    It actually is a feature. Page 85 in dealer manual. Apparently with the intention of preventing a condition with too much slack in the chain. The restriction can be overridden, but only if the chain ring gap is less than 14 teeth.