RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Rear brake/cable issue?

I have a Giant Cypress (hybrid) bike. I hadn't used it for over a year and decided to take it out this past weekend. I noticed the rear brakes do not work. I can see there's some type of issue with the brake cable (see attached pictures). I'm wondering how to fix this issue. The wire is not broken but there is a lot of slack. Do I just need to tighten it at somewhere or does the wire need to be replaced? I'm a complete novice when it comes to bike repair but would love to fix it myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear brake/cable issue?-img_20170222_190553.jpg   Rear brake/cable issue?-img_20170222_190614.jpg   Rear brake/cable issue?-img_20170222_190627.jpg  

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    OK - two things

First in the top pic the end of the white cable by your hand has come loose from the cable stop. Plug the shiny tip of the white outer cable into cable stop (slotted fitting on the top tube at about 2 o'clock from the cable tip).

Go ahead and take off that bike lock chain because it's probably binding up the brake cable anyway. Once you have that cable back in the stop it will still be a little loose. Now go the the rear brake caliper. The little silver bullet shaped tip at the end of the metal curved piece ("the noodle") is out of place. That is usually taken out of place to loosen up the brake so you can get the rear wheel off. Squeeze the brakes together and then slip that bullet tip into the hole to seat it properly. That should get everything all squared away again.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    OK - two things

First in the top pic the end of the white cable by your hand has come loose from the cable stop. Plug the shiny tip of the white outer cable into cable stop (slotted fitting on the top tube at about 2 o'clock from the cable tip).
    Rear brake/cable issue?-capture.jpg

Go ahead and take off that bike lock chain because it's probably binding up the brake cable anyway. Once you have that cable back in the stop it will still be a little loose. Now go the the rear brake caliper. The little silver bullet shaped tip at the end of the metal curved piece ("the noodle") is out of place. That is usually taken out of place to loosen up the brake so you can get the rear wheel off. Squeeze the brakes together and then slip that bullet tip into the hole to seat it properly. That should get everything all squared away again.
    This is a quick release to release the brake and remove the wheel. Look at the front brake to see how it goes.
    Rear brake/cable issue?-capture2.jpg
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    hfc and tlg, thank you for the detailed responses. The annotated pictures really helped. Popping it back into the cable stop did the trick!

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Awesome. Happy riding!