Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141

    Rear derailer touching spokes

    I have an '06 Specialized Allez Sport Triple. When I start to climb and try to get onto my large cog on my cassette, my RD touches my spokes. I of course quickly shift back up.

    It has the original Tiagra group. Is this mearly an adjustment issue?

    Also, my FD will not throw my chain onto the smallest gear on my crank.

    Please advise.

  2. #2
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    Sounds like a bent derailleur hanger. Does it look like this?


    This explains how to fix it. If you're handy, you can do it without all the tools.
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment

    Your front derailleur probably just needs adjustment.
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Front Derailleur Adjustments

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Oh man, this isn't good news then on my RD. I sure hope I can bend it back if it is bent.

  4. #4
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Oh man, this isn't good news then on my RD. I sure hope I can bend it back if it is bent.
    If it's not bent too bad (and your derailleur isn't damaged) you can replace the hanger. THey're made to be removeable for this reason. Check your LBS, ebay, or online. They're not that expensive.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    It fell over today while stopped on a ride.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,846
    Until such time as you can straighten or replace the hanger, either Do not ride the bike or adjust the inner limit to ensure that the RD cannot reach the spokes, and that the chain cannot shift beyond the innermost sprocket.

    So far you only have the recipe for disaster (expensive repair) but if you ride the bike there's a good chance you make it happen.

    There are lots of tutorials on gear adjustment which will help, so don't ignore this problem.

    BTW- if you're clumsy and tend to drop the bike, drop it so it falls to the left. decades ago I got into the habit of always leaning up my bike with the right side toward the wall. I don't even think about this anymore, just do it automatically. Leaning right side to wall means the big fall, if it happens is on the left side.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

    Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Ok, this bothered me all night! I could hardly sleep. So first thing this morning I ran out to the garage and checked it. It does not look bent at all. The hanger looks perfectly straight. I even cranked it with the bike hanging and it does not touch. Its not until you really crank with some serious force or if you actually push the derailer in a bit with your finger, does it touch. So, I'm thinking that its just out of adjustment.

    Shweeeewww, y'all had me worried!

  8. #8
    wim
    wim is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Its not until you really crank with some serious force or if you actually push the derailer in a bit with your finger, does it touch. So, I'm thinking that its just out of adjustment.
    If the hanger is in fact straight, slightly adjusting the inner limit screw ("L") will do the trick.

    I always adjust the scew in (clockwise) until the shift from the next-to-the largest cog to the largest cog is beginning to get a little ragged or hard to do, then bring the screw back out just enough until the shift is clean again. This way I'm sure the derailleur is kept as far away from the spokes as possible. To confirm that all is well, I do the thumb-push test while turning the crank. .

  9. #9
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Ok, this bothered me all night! I could hardly sleep. So first thing this morning I ran out to the garage and checked it. It does not look bent at all. The hanger looks perfectly straight. I even cranked it with the bike hanging and it does not touch. Its not until you really crank with some serious force or if you actually push the derailer in a bit with your finger, does it touch. So, I'm thinking that its just out of adjustment.

    Shweeeewww, y'all had me worried!
    Uh, not so fast. If it was ok before and not after it fell over its bent. Limit screws dont go out of adjustment. Sorry.

  10. #10
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Do try to adjust the low derailleur adjustment screw ... guide pulley positioned directly in line with the largest sprocket. Then crank it to see if the cage will still hit ... esp on yr largest chainring as that is when you have the most tension and the tension pulley is lowest/furthest forward.

    If it still hits, then could be:

    - bent cage
    - bent hanger

    Even if it looks straight, would be good to uninstall the derailleur and hanger and have a good look at it. Lay the hanger flat on a flat surface to make sure ... good luck ...

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Uh, not so fast. If it was ok before and not after it fell over its bent. Limit screws dont go out of adjustment. Sorry.


    I just bought the bike and only rode it twice and do not remember doing this. I do not think its bent. It looks perfectly straight.

  12. #12
    wyrd bi ful rd
    Reputation: c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    There are instances I have seen where it looks straight on the bike, but when you take the hanger out and place on a flat surface, you can see it is not ... unfortunately ...

    They are designed to bend just so that in the case of a fall, you will damage that hanger instead of your more expensive derailleur ...

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Bummer. You guys are really trying to damper my Friday! Joking.

    I'm taking it to the local bike co-op where I volunteer and will be taking carbon it tomorrow.

    I'm hoping, because the glass is always half full, that it's just out of adjustment. Wish me luck!

  14. #14
    wim
    wim is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    I'm hoping, because the glass is always half full, that it's just out of adjustment. Wish me luck!
    Why not give the adjustment a try then and see if the problem disappears? It's quickly done and free.

    Also keep in mind that a bent derailleur hanger is quickly and esily replaced. The frustration some people experience with with hangers is that can't find one to fit their bike. With your bike, shouldn't be a problem at all.

  15. #15
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Uh, not so fast. If it was ok before and not after it fell over its bent. Limit screws dont go out of adjustment. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    It fell over today while stopped on a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    I just bought the bike and only rode it twice and do not remember doing this. I do not think its bent. It looks perfectly straight.
    tihsepa is correct. It doesn't matter that you just bought the bike. You said it fell over today. All evidence (bike falling over and derailleur pushing into spokes) screams that something is bent.

    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    BTW- if you're clumsy and tend to drop the bike, drop it so it falls to the left. decades ago I got into the habit of always leaning up my bike with the right side toward the wall.
    Not just if you're clumsy. It's just the safest way to treat your bike. Someone else could always knock it over.
    Same thing applies if you're laying your bike down in the grass. It should always go on its left side.

  16. #16
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    As you can see, when your derailleur is in the top cog, there should be PLENTY of room between it and your spokes. If it were straight, there's no way an adjustment would cause it to rub the spokes. You'd be jumping off the cassette before the derailleur touched the spokes. The spokes are angled away from the hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear derailer touching spokes-derailleur.jpg  

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    So I wonder of maybe my RD is bent as well?

    If something is bent its from the previous owner, in that I watched it fall but was too far to stop it. When it landed it hit the pedal.

    Either way, I'll get it taken care of tomorrow.
    Last edited by Drummerboy1975; 03-23-2012 at 05:05 AM.

  18. #18
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    So I wonder of maybe my RD is bent as well?
    Not likely. There's not much to bend on the derailleur. It would typically break before bending. This is the purpose of the derailleur hanger. It's meant to bend to protect the derailleur.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Not likely. There's not much to bend on the derailleur. It would typically break before bending. This is the purpose of the derailleur hanger. It's meant to bend to protect the derailleur.
    Oh ok, well that's good news then. Thanks.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,341
    Hi, I had a bike fell over not even a crash and although it didn't put anything into the spokes, it was unable to shift into the smallest cog, at that point I knew it was bent. Visually it looked lightly off but it was hard to tell. I brought it to the LBS and paid them $20 to use the alignment tool and they corrected it no problem since.
    I know most people just replace the hanger but I didn't want to bother tracking down when the LBS didn't say I need to.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    As you can see, when your derailleur is in the top cog, there should be PLENTY of room between it and your spokes. If it were straight, there's no way an adjustment would cause it to rub the spokes. You'd be jumping off the cassette before the derailleur touched the spokes. The spokes are angled away from the hub.
    Theres only one problem with the picture. The chain isn't on the biggest gear which is closest to the wheel. I would like to see how close it is when all the way over.

  22. #22
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Theres only one problem with the picture. The chain isn't on the biggest gear which is closest to the wheel. I would like to see how close it is when all the way over.
    Basically like this..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear derailer touching spokes-derailleur2.jpg  

  23. #23
    Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Reputation: redondoaveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Theres only one problem with the picture. The chain isn't on the biggest gear which is closest to the wheel. I would like to see how close it is when all the way over.
    I can adjust my Red RD with the chain on the big cog over enough that the cage would hit the spokes. When my RD is adjusted properly, the cage sits about 2mm off the spokes.

    I would just take the bike to your LBS. They'll put an alignment tool on your derailleur hanger and check to see if the hanger is bent. If so, they'll straighten it. Takes just a few minutes. Not a big deal. If it's bent so bad that it needs to be replaced (very doubtful), they should be able to order one and install it in a few minutes also.

    I'm sure most of us have been in your position before. Easy fix!
    Last edited by redondoaveb; 03-23-2012 at 12:24 PM.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Yea I'm hoping its not bent and an adjustment will do, but if not no biggie.

    Either way, we will have an answer tomorrow and I will let everyone know.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Drummerboy1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    The verdict is in- it just needed adjusting. Been riding it this morning and we are good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook