B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Rear derailleur adjustment- alignment . I REFUSE to pay the LBS!

I'm close to finishing up on my first ever build and I have to tune it now.The RD's been hindering my progress

It is not aligned with the lowest cog and to my understanding I do need to adjust low limit screw for this to make it "go down" - when I try to shift to the lowest cog the cage rubs the spokes.

The screw's close to it's limit and I think a couple of turns more it's going to pop out. It shifts very well from the 1st to the 9th cog with no skipping issues or what not.

It's the low limit screw correct?

It's been frustrating I gotta say but I refuse to pay the LBS! I know I can do this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you checked the rear derailleur alignment? If the alignment is even slightly off it will cause poor shifting and other problems.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

wyrd bi ful rd
    Do you have pictures?

What RD or cassette are you using?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know it sounds silly, but have you made sure that when you're in the smallest sprocket the shifter is in the correct setting? Shift to the smallest, then hold the cable taut and shift again. If it shifts one more gear that's your answer.

The hanger is the other thing, even on brand new high end frames it can be slightly out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is the hanger /dropout bent? Steel bike or something with a replaceable hanger?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
    I know it sounds silly, but have you made sure that when you're in the smallest sprocket the shifter is in the correct setting?
    Definitely possible. I would start from scratch:

- Disconnect cable,
    - Shift by actuating the derailleur with your thumb and set limit screws,
    - Click the shifter 12 or more times (maximum cable release position),
    - Reconnect the cable,
    - Fine tune cable tension.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're cage is hitting the spokes it's most certainly a bent derailleur or hanger. Does it look something like this?

Also make sure your wheel is seated fully in the dropouts and not cocked.

This thread might help..
    Rear derailer touching spokes

have droids, will party
    Ummm... No one has caught this, but the OP said he's been trying to adjust the lower limit screw to adjust the derailleur so it doesn't contact the spokes... The upper limit screw should be the one to adjust for that. If it were me, I'd check the alignment of the hanger, consult the book of armaments (park tool or something of the like) and start all over from step one. I've found jumping around steps with rear derailleurs just wastes alot of time.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    Ummm... No one has caught this, but the OP said he's been trying to adjust the lower limit screw to adjust the derailleur so it doesn't contact the spokes...
    Agree, it's a bit confusing. He used "lowest cog" to mean "the cog giving you the lowest gear." Then he used "low limit screw" (not "lowER limit screw") and my assumption is that he (correctly) meant "the screw with an "L" next to it." But everything is possible.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Ummm... No one has caught this, but the OP said he's been trying to adjust the lower limit screw to adjust the derailleur so it doesn't contact the spokes... The upper limit screw should be the one to adjust for that. If it were me, I'd check the alignment of the hanger, consult the book of armaments (park tool or something of the like) and start all over from step one. I've found jumping around steps with rear derailleurs just wastes alot of time.
    No, he was correct. What's an upper limit screw? All my bikes have an H and L screw. And the L screw is what you adjust to keep your chain from going off the big cog.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matfam View Post
    Have you checked the rear derailleur alignment? If the alignment is even slightly off it will cause poor shifting and other problems.
    Actually, it's got to be pretty bent before it will cause any problems as long as the limit screws and cable tension are correspondingly adjusted.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

weird huh?
    Ummm... consult the book of armaments .

Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one. And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i think that while it's cool that the OP is trying to build this bike on his own, it's funny that he refuses to have the lbs help him out when he's having a problem. sure, it's only a bike, it's pretty simple, yeah? if it was that simple you wouldn't have had to post here asking for help. for free. i really do hope that you figure out the issue before you mess anything up. a derailleur cage that hits the spokes is the second part of a possibly very expensive chain (pardon the pun) reaction. part 1 is the possibly bent hanger. part 3 is when the chain goes over the big cog and ruins at least half the spokes on the drive side of your wheel, and part 4 is when the still-spinning wheel pulls your derailleur around and slams it into the seat stay, potentially ruining your frame. part 4.1 could be the chain getting trashed as well.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    - yes it is the low limit screw. the cage is rubbing against the spokes when i try to shift onto the lowest gear/cog. it shifts fine from cogs 1-9 but the cog closest to the spokes wont "take" the chain

- i am trying to figure out on how to allign the derr on the 10th cog without rubbing.

ill post pictures when i get home

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd say that you need to check the hanger, sounds bent to me.

One you know the hanger is right you can start looking at the derailer. If it's a replaceable hanger swap it out for a new one, worst that could happen is the hanger is straight and you've got a spare.
    If it's a steel bike with a non replaceable hanger you're gonna hafta bring it to a shop with the tools or buy yourself an alignment tool.

Park Tool Co. DAG-2 : Derailleur Hanger Alignment Gauge : Frame & Fork Tools

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by B05 View Post
    - i am trying to figure out on how to allign the derr on the 10th cog without rubbing.
    Can you thumb-shift the chain to the 10th (the largest) cog with the derailleur cable disconnected? If you can, does the derailleur cage touch the spokes when the chain is on the 10th cog and the cage is centered directly under the 10th cog?
    Last edited by wim; 06-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Is it a bent hanger?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    Is it a bent hanger?
    We'll never know. He paid the LBS to have his problem taken care of and can't bear to tell us that. :-)