Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,275

    rear derailleur jockey wheels - grease or oil?

    hey kids...

    simple question.... i just took apart and properly cleaned my rear derailleur pulley wheels... lots of grit.. anyways, while putting them back, i first oiled them w/ motor oil... nice and free spinning... then i freaked that they would not be properly protected and redid it w/ bearing grease.... any opinions on this? def not as free running as just oil, but from memory this is how it was new.... stops pretty much as soon as your finger loses contact w/ the pulley... w/ oil i'd actually spin a bit...

    bit pointless, but curious re: opinions and practice of others... i generally dont like grease as it attracts sand here.. and thus grit ...

    cheers,

    joe

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,740
    I just clean mine with a rag. Lubing your chain takes car of the rollers..grease will attack grit, like you said..

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,131

    bushings..

    You're talking about the pulley bushings, not the pulleys themselves, correct? I prefer to apply a few drop of oil every week in the form of a good spray lube like Slick 50 1-lube.

    You should not expect a pulley to keep spining when spun with your finger. The plastic pulley weighs almost nothing and has hardly any moment of inertia like a wheel.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,500
    I use something really light, like TriFlo. As Dino noted, whatever you put on the chain will end up in the pulley bushings, too, so it doesn't matter too much.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,275
    yep, the bushing, not the teeth... like i said, it spun when i just used oil....grease stopped it... might remove it and go back... i'll start regularly taking it apart from now on... 15k maybe too much...

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    I use something really light, like TriFlo. As Dino noted, whatever you put on the chain will end up in the pulley bushings, too, so it doesn't matter too much.
    yep, that's the problem... the chain lube will get in there (i use homebrew) which will quickly dilute the grease and cause a leaky sticky mess... hrmm... going back to oil again methinks! not such a biggie if that gets diluted, doesn't seem to attract much dirt and is easily flushed w/ home brew which is made of the same stuff anyhow...

    i really don't like grease anymore... prefer to use anything else if i can...

    thanks guys

  7. #7
    duh...
    Reputation: FatTireFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,658
    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    yep, the bushing, not the teeth... like i said, it spun when i just used oil....grease stopped it... might remove it and go back... i'll start regularly taking it apart from now on... 15k maybe too much...


    are you noticing problems with shifiting?

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    are you noticing problems with shifiting?
    nope, why? just general cleaning and maintenance while i'm waiting on a replacement frame as my current one died at the weld...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,494

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    bit pointless, but curious re: opinions and practice of others... i generally dont like grease as it attracts sand here.. and thus grit ...
    Since any grease you apply would be under the dust caps, it doesn't really attract grit any more than any other lube. My practice, going on 40 years, is to first apply grease, and then add oil on top of it. IMO you get the best of both worlds with this approach: long lasting lube that doesn't offer much friction. It has worked great for me.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    The need for a light clean lube that allows rotation can be solved with either, but the upper pulley on Shimano and Campy slides side to side in order to optimize chain line after each shift. I've used both, but suspect grease doesn't make this work as well - or, it may get dirty faster, making it stick or bind, or even fill the void with gunk so it couldn't slip even if it still spins freely. A lighter, teflon-type oil lube that dries pretty clean, doesn't attract dirt, like Finish Line Dry, may be the best trade-off, but that may require more frequent re-lubing, especially if rain, dirt, or road grit gets in there. It's still a cheap, easily maintained area, but that takes elbow grease, not uber-tech pricey magic after-market parts, which in my 50 yrs experience provide mostly placebo benefits. Negligible gains generally are found from magic items, in comparison to well-maintained OEM parts, and it is easy to deceive oneself, especially after dumping dollars on a part that just must be so much better that I can feel it. I just laugh and think when Lance A rode up a Tour climb with a brake pad rubbing the whole way - now that would have been measurable, but he didn't think to consider such a thing.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ibericb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,578
    From 2008, brought back to life in 2015.

    This should win the thread-dredge-of-the week award.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

  12. #12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by roadbat View Post
    The need for a light clean lube that allows rotation can be solved with either, but the upper pulley on Shimano and Campy slides side to side in order to optimize chain line after each shift. I've used both, but suspect grease doesn't make this work as well - or, it may get dirty faster, making it stick or bind, or even fill the void with gunk so it couldn't slip even if it still spins freely. A lighter, teflon-type oil lube that dries pretty clean, doesn't attract dirt, like Finish Line Dry, may be the best trade-off, but that may require more frequent re-lubing, especially if rain, dirt, or road grit gets in there. It's still a cheap, easily maintained area, but that takes elbow grease, not uber-tech pricey magic after-market parts, which in my 50 yrs experience provide mostly placebo benefits. Negligible gains generally are found from magic items, in comparison to well-maintained OEM parts, and it is easy to deceive oneself, especially after dumping dollars on a part that just must be so much better that I can feel it. I just laugh and think when Lance A rode up a Tour climb with a brake pad rubbing the whole way - now that would have been measurable, but he didn't think to consider such a thing.
    Please...pay attention to the fact that no one has felt the need to comment on this subject or ask about it for YEARS when you go dredging around for threads to comment on. Take a look at the date of the last post and use that as a barometer of the importance (or lack thereof) of the subject.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  13. #13
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Please...pay attention to the fact that no one has felt the need to comment on this subject or ask about it for YEARS when you go dredging around for threads to comment on. Take a look at the date of the last post and use that as a barometer of the importance (or lack thereof) of the subject.
    I'm amazed that roadbat is averaging one post / year and decided to make this year's contribution about lube...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

  14. #14
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I'm amazed that roadbat is averaging one post / year and decided to make this year's contribution about lube...
    Right? But this post probably took some time...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Right? But this post probably took some time...

    First, cxwrench, Opus51569, ibericb, the lube issue is being constantly debated, ref Velonews story about wax being the latest/greatest and that's been 'dead in the water' for 30+ years. Krytox and other lubes weren't around in 2008, and by the way Triflow was an oil I stopped using like 20 years ago due to its dirt-attraction ability. The fact that I deem it appropriate to add info whenever I read a forum no matter what it's date only suggests that the information is pertinent, and also reflects the fact that I do not live on the 'net, in particular this one forum. That you apparently DO live here to pounce tells me you're both trollers, and have no useful info to add yourselves. Sheldon Brown is fortunate to have not lived to see a time when so little valid information is debated with so much invective and petty slurs. Don't bother replying as I won't cut bait.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,500
    I would ignore all of that madness, except I can't let it pass without comment when you say that Sheldon Brown is better off dead because of something that was said on the internet that offends you. Really? That's a pretty offensive way to invoke the memory of anyone, especially a great man deeply respected in this community. A man with a great sense of humor, BTW . . .

    And now I will ignore . . .
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    From 2008, brought back to life in 2015.

    This should win the thread-dredge-of-the week award.
    He should be tazed repeatedly.

    Thread dredge is only allowed on Tuesdays.

    Someone ban him.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I'm amazed that roadbat is averaging one post / year and decided to make this year's contribution about lube...
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    From 2008, brought back to life in 2015.

    This should win the thread-dredge-of-the week award.
    Quote Originally Posted by roadbat View Post
    First, cxwrench, Opus51569, ibericb, the lube issue is being constantly debated, ref Velonews story about wax being the latest/greatest and that's been 'dead in the water' for 30+ years. Krytox and other lubes weren't around in 2008, and by the way Triflow was an oil I stopped using like 20 years ago due to its dirt-attraction ability. The fact that I deem it appropriate to add info whenever I read a forum no matter what it's date only suggests that the information is pertinent, and also reflects the fact that I do not live on the 'net, in particular this one forum. That you apparently DO live here to pounce tells me you're both trollers, and have no useful info to add yourselves. Sheldon Brown is fortunate to have not lived to see a time when so little valid information is debated with so much invective and petty slurs. Don't bother replying as I won't cut bait.

    Relevant or not, you still cannot bring back a dead thread unless it's Tuesday.

    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  19. #19
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,733
    Quote Originally Posted by roadbat View Post
    First, cxwrench, Opus51569, ibericb, the lube issue is being constantly debated, ref Velonews story about wax being the latest/greatest and that's been 'dead in the water' for 30+ years. Krytox and other lubes weren't around in 2008, and by the way Triflow was an oil I stopped using like 20 years ago due to its dirt-attraction ability. The fact that I deem it appropriate to add info whenever I read a forum no matter what it's date only suggests that the information is pertinent, and also reflects the fact that I do not live on the 'net, in particular this one forum. That you apparently DO live here to pounce tells me you're both trollers, and have no useful info to add yourselves. Sheldon Brown is fortunate to have not lived to see a time when so little valid information is debated with so much invective and petty slurs. Don't bother replying as I won't cut bait.
    You had to spend some time hunting this thread down, so you must be on the inter webs a decent amount. And to bring Sheldon up like that...very poor form.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    When someone says "George Washington must be rolling over in his grave," they are not insulting his memory. I am not too far from the late Mr. Brown's age and suspect he would appreciate intelligent discourse about all things bicycle, far more than the shedding of crocodile tears by total strangers, who are clearly now focusing on trying to engage in activities Mr. Brown had no truck with. So little expertise is evident so far in this forum, that I actually felt my limited knowledge and experience might benefit others; apparently that was my mistake, as I see clearly now what the primary purpose of the forum is - to provide a bully pulpit for a few to expound their gospels and rail against the heretics. cxwrench, you've posted close to 10,000 times over 11 years, and you don't grasp how Google does the hunting for us? Three times a day, every day, how do you get any wrenching done at all?

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,032
    Lol. This is great entertainment. No longer about really old jockey wheels. No longer about how to lube a jockey wheel ( a very low priority in the hierarchy of bike mtce). I think this is now a rather crappy flame war. Not sure what prompted this level of aggression. "Roadbat" is starting to sound a lot like my dear friend "roadworthy". Coincidence?..... I think not!

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ibericb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,578
    What I find amusing is the great length he (roadbat) has gone to to defend his initial post in this thread, and then his attack those who did nothing other than note the lack of timeliness in his initial reply to a thread some 7 years dormant. I guess the good news is he set a new PR for himself - more than one post in a year. Cool!
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Sasquatch1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    From 2008, brought back to life in 2015.

    This should win the thread-dredge-of-the week award.
    Well, I have my derailluer apart and cleaned up so I was searching for lube suggestions before I reassemble it. This forum was the at the top of the search so I value info no matter when it was posted.
    Since this is a fat bike ridden year round, I am using AMSoil products.

  24. #24
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,858
    bushings are bearings.

    always use grease on bearings, not oil.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    807
    Wow, talk about a newbie with attitude.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •