Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jack of no trades

Rear Derailleur: Short cage or medium cage?

I'm upgrading the components on my indoor trainer bike, from 10-speed 105 to 11-speed Ultegra.

I've got a 52/34 up front, and my cassette preference is usually 11-28T. Would I be needing a medium cage rear Ultegra 6800 or would a short cage work better?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    I'm upgrading the components on my indoor trainer bike, from 10-speed 105 to 11-speed Ultegra.
    oh my.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You need the medium if you're ever going to go big/big. If you never ever never go big/big the short should work. I'd recommend medium. Size your chain w/ the small/small method.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Forever a Student
    SS version is fine.
    use a torque wrench

Capacity for the SS is 33 teeth. The OP needs to wrap 35. Capacity for GS is 37. Do the math.

Jack of no trades
    Thanks, guys. I don't do much cross-chaining, and very seldom do the 52/28, especially indoors. I guess the SS short cage should suffice.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Capacity for the SS is 33 teeth. The OP needs to wrap 35. Capacity for GS is 37. Do the math.
    An SS will do a 53/39 and an 11-28 all day. It's within spec.

The issue being the OP using a small chainring out of spec creating a huge jump in the front.

Wrapping the extra slack from the 34 front ring shouldn't be a big issue with the SS.

Preaching Shimano's wrap capacity is fine and all but it's not real life. The SS will work fine, even with the OP's out of spec front setup.

Just use the small/small chain length method and make it as long as you can. Big/big should still work fine, albeit a stretch.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:03 AM.
    use a torque wrench

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Thanks, guys. I don't do much cross-chaining, and very seldom do the 52/28, especially indoors. I guess the SS short cage should suffice.
    Do you ever lose track of your gearing when doing hard trainer rides?

Do you ever plan on riding this bike outside with that same cassette?

If yes, you might consider the medium cage as the better choice to avoid potential problems. If no, not really going to be an issue going with the short cage for you.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Kind of surprised I'm the only one seeing it fit to be a jerk here.

Seriously though OP, it's pretty stupid to upgrade components on a bike you use inside on the trainer. I honestly don't about strangers on the internet blowing money but certainly you can find something better to do with it. Didn't you post not to long ago about getting a cheap power meter because good ones were to expensive or something like that? And this makes sense though?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Seriously though OP, it's pretty stupid to upgrade components on a bike you use inside on the trainer.
    Depends on what a person values.

For what I value, I agree totally it makes no sense to do anything to a trainer bike other than keep in functional at the lowest cost possible. Trainers are where bikes go to die a slow death.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kind of surprised I'm the only one seeing it fit to be a jerk here.

Seriously though OP, it's pretty stupid to upgrade components on a bike you use inside on the trainer. I honestly don't about strangers on the internet blowing money but certainly you can find something better to do with it. Didn't you post not to long ago about getting a cheap power meter because good ones were to expensive or something like that? And this makes sense though?
    What if he's matching the components to what he has on this outdoor bike?

My CAAD 10 lives on my trainer during the spring/summer but has the exact same drivetrain as my SuperSix because I wanted the same gearing.

Just sayin'

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ExChefinMA View Post
    What if he's matching the components to what he has on this outdoor bike?

My CAAD 10 lives on my trainer during the spring/summer but has the exact same drivetrain as my SuperSix because I wanted the same gearing.

Just sayin'

EEC
    -Gearing and an entire groupset are not the same thing.
    -Cassette and possible crank take care of that.
    -Gearing needs on the road are nothing like the trainer.
    -That is a separate topic from 'upgrading" to Ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    -Gearing and an entire groupset are not the same thing.
    -Cassette and possible crank take care of that.
    -Gearing needs on the road are nothing like the trainer.
    -That is a separate topic from 'upgrading" to Ultegra.
    I was taught many years ago by a very wise man, train the way you intend to do an action. Does not matter if it shooting, cycling, insert repetitive action here. It builds muscle memory, regardless if you “need” specific gearing on the trainer vs the road is it not better to train with what you will be using on the road?

But of course, this is just my opinion that and at least $5 will get you your favorite cup of coffee.

EEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was taught many years ago by a very wise man, train the way you intend to do an action. Does not matter if it shooting, cycling, insert repetitive action here. It builds muscle memory, regardless if you “need” specific gearing on the trainer vs the road is it not better to train with what you will be using on the road?

But of course, this is just my opinion that and at least $5 will get you your favorite cup of coffee.

EEC

Hopefully the geometry of his indoor training bike matches his outdoor bike.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

EEC

You missed my point. A trainer is not the road, you can ride as hard or easy as you want to simulate the best you can what you would do on the road, but on the trainer you won't be using the same gears to do it. For example I use 50x11 on the road quite a bit at a high cadence thanks to gravity.....but I've never have and never will come close to using 50x11 on the trainer.
    Granted I'm not factoring in those new smart trainer things and whatever then might do.

And by the way your wise man isn't very wise. There's a reason participants of every sport at every level who are any good do specific drills or workouts to isolate and develop specific skills or muscles rather than doing what the do when it matters every practice.
    Do you think, for example, Bolt just sprints for training?
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Generally speaking, there is no great reason for a trainer with variable resistance to require more than a single gear on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Have you guys ever used a smart trainer? Mine feels pretty damn similar to my road rides, enough so that I use the full range of gears just like I would outside. Not arguing for or against the OPs setup, but the new gen of trainers have really changed indoor riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Have you guys ever used a smart trainer? Mine feels pretty damn similar to my road rides, enough so that I use the full range of gears just like I would outside. Not arguing for or against the OPs setup, but the new gen of trainers have really changed indoor riding.
    Nope, I've already acknowledged that my comments don't factor those things in though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Smart trainer in erg mode will hold you to a power level, typically a % of FTP no matter what the wheel speed is or what gear you are in. In that case gears dont do anything. If the smart trainer is used in course, or slope mode, the resistance is increased with gradient and just like on outdoor riding, you control your power effort and gearing has same effect as outdoor riding.

Funny how these threads wander so far away from the point of the OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    Smart trainer in erg mode will hold you to a power level, typically a % of FTP no matter what the wheel speed is or what gear you are in. In that case gears dont do anything. If the smart trainer is used in course, or slope mode, the resistance is increased with gradient and just like on outdoor riding, you control your power effort and gearing has same effect as outdoor riding.
    If the smart trainer varies resistance without regard to wheel speed, there would be on reason to have more than one gear. Unless shifting is just fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Hopefully the geometry of his indoor training bike matches his outdoor bike.
    And if normally rides with disc brakes, that’s a whole new discussion. We could start a thread to end it all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    If the smart trainer varies resistance without regard to wheel speed, there would be on reason to have more than one gear. Unless shifting is just fun.
    Exactly. If you have a smart trainer with actual erg mode (not all do) and only used erg based workouts, a SS would be a nice setup. 250W @ 53 x 11 or 34 x 28 is 250W. I just use a gear to run around 16-22 MPH with low/high cadence. It is good to mix in some slope based workouts sometimes just to change it up so then you need the gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Getting back to original question the SS probably will work but if your buying a new derailleur why not buy the right one. Cost difference is minimal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    SS version is fine.
    The OP needs a medium cage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast