Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rear hub doesn't engage.

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
I was given a nice 12 speed bike for my kid that's rear wheel is broken. When you spin the pedals forward the rear wheel doesn't turn, the rear hub doesn't engage. Is the hub toast or can it be fixed? If its repairable, is it something I can fix my self? Thanks.

#3 ·
RoadLoad said:
I was given a nice 12 speed bike for my kid that's rear wheel is broken. When you spin the pedals forward the rear wheel doesn't turn, the rear hub doesn't engage. Is the hub toast or can it be fixed? If its repairable, is it something I can fix my self? Thanks.
As said, replace the freewheel. You need a freewheel removing tool and a wrench. The tool is specific to the freewheel brand.

As a band-aid fix, you could try to free the gummed-up freewheel pawls with some solvent like WD-40, then relube with a light oil. Take the wheel out and spin the freewheel—you'll see a gap between the part that spins and the part that remains stationary. That gap is the opening for your solvent and oil.

#5 · (Edited)
RoadLoad said:
Thanks. Its a Univega something? Its nice. I'll try the WD-40/lube approach and see if that works. I bet its gummed up because it has that kind of feel when I spin the pedals. Thanks for the insights and advice. All the best.
Univega's the bike. Freewheels were made by Shimano, SunTour, Maillard, Atom, Regina and others I can't remember. You'll see notches or splines for the removing tool in the freewheel center. If the WD-40 doesn't work, try stronger solvents. It's important to thoroughly road-test the band-aid fix. Kids ride a lot standing on the pedals—a slipping freewheel could cause a very bad crash.

/w

#6 ·
I got home, changed my clothes, grabbed a beer and headed for my shop. I squirted some WD-40 into the freewheel, spun it some and what do you know... I could hear some clicking and the thing engaged. Its working! Its a Suntour freewheel. It must have just been junked up with crud. Its spinning just fine now.

Thanks to all, much appreciated.

#7 ·
One more step

RoadLoad said:
I got home, changed my clothes, grabbed a beer and headed for my shop. I squirted some WD-40 into the freewheel, spun it some and what do you know... I could hear some clicking and the thing engaged. Its working! Its a Suntour freewheel. It must have just been junked up with crud. Its spinning just fine now.

Thanks to all, much appreciated.
Now, you need to shoot some oil in there. You should flush with solvent (like WD-40) while spinning the freewheel until the solvent comes out fairly clean, and then chase it with oil. There are two sets of bearings in the freewheel, and they need lubrication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.