RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Recomendations for compact double chainring replacement

I have an 07 S-works Roubaix with a 50/34 compact double.. I need new chainrings and they are not available in S- works..

Any recomendations on a decent set?? what brand ? I am putting on an ultegra 11-28 cassette and new chain at the same time.. I cant seem to find replacement rings.. Just the whole crank.

I'll admit I was looking on Amazon so maybe I just need a better vendor.. Still I'm not wedded to shimano I guess....

Suggestions??

Thank you in advance

Tim

'brifter' is a lame word.
    shimano, sram, fsa, praxis...there are tons. just roll on down to your lbs and buy them.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    So pretty much the same quality etc... I dont care about a few grams so I'm happy to go a step down from dura ace and the like

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Its really hard to beat the shifting of Shimano chainrings. You can probably get some in 6600 ultegra prety easilly.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

woz
    Madcow
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Baker View Post
    So pretty much the same quality etc... I dont care about a few grams so I'm happy to go a step down from dura ace and the like
    No they aren't the same quality. Most rings are machined, but Shimano and Praxis rings are both forged. Shimano are absolute tops when it comes to shift quality but the DA rings are pricey. My recommendation is Ultegra or Praxis. Can't miss with either one so choose the one that looks best on your bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks guys. Been away

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The only thing is the new ultegra ones might or might not look silly depending on the shape of your crank, since they are machined in order to flow into the shape of the ultegra cranks.

wyrd biđ ful ărćd
    ever considered a middleburn ... 'duo'

Recomendations for compact double chainring replacement-20120515-middleburn-duo.jpg

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbafish View Post
    The only thing is the new ultegra ones might or might not look silly depending on the shape of your crank, since they are machined in order to flow into the shape of the ultegra cranks.
    I dont think you can, would put a Shimano 7900/6700 outer ring on a different crank.

Go with 6600 chainrings. They shift beautifully.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Oh I see I misread your post, thought you said 6700. Yes the 6600 would work just great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The ultegra seem to be hard to find. And I don't want the ones that are machined for the ultegra crank. I found some in black thru the local bike shop and they want $200 bucks for the set. So that's an option but I think I'll try and do better.

They have an s-works Tarmac they are changin out to a standard set but they want $235 for that set. Going to try and check out the praxis now on lunch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi T-Baker,

I think you'll be impressed with our Cold Forged rings as we've got a great balance of weight, stiffness, durability and price point. We are all about shift quality and really pride ourselves on being balanced with all those attributes taken into consideration.

We wanted to give customers a great 'Go-To' set of Forged rings that performed fantastic with great shift quality but at the same time didn't break the bank.

Hope you give us a try!

Adam@Praxis
    Praxis Works Components
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    www.praxis-works.com
    www.facebook.com/PraxisWorks

SQUIRREL!!!!
    +1 on Praxis

DA has been the benchmark.....IMHO, I'd put Praxis on that level. Add the fact that they are lighter AND reasonably priced.....damn tough to not pick 'em up. LOVE mine.
    I honestly think it's possible for people to catch 'Stupid'.

Seems the only bi-partisan thing politicians can ever do is cheat on their wives.

"A slick way to outfigure a person is to get him figuring you figure he's figuring you're figuring he'll figure you aren't really figuring what you want him to figure you figure." - Whitey Herzog

banned
    I'd lean towards Praxis or SRAM.

(And consider going to 52/36 on the rings too... goes well with the 11-28 cassette you're using.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

SPÉCIALITÉS T.A. and STRONGLIGHT

Both make excellent rings in a variety of sizes and colors. Good deals on them if your order from overseas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    or 50/36 if 50x11 is enough gear for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis Works View Post
    Hi T-Baker,

I think you'll be impressed with our Cold Forged rings as we've got a great balance of weight, stiffness, durability and price point. We are all about shift quality and really pride ourselves on being balanced with all those attributes taken into consideration.

We wanted to give customers a great 'Go-To' set of Forged rings that performed fantastic with great shift quality but at the same time didn't break the bank.

Hope you give us a try!

Adam@Praxis
    Pardon my newbie question, but will these chain ring sets bolt onto my standard ultegra crank set-up.