RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Record BB replacement - tools needed?

About to change my 2003 Record 10sp bottom bracket and wondered if i have the necessary tools for the job. I have the Park crank puller and the Park BBT-5 which does the BB and cassette lockring for the Campag cassettes. Also have a good adjustable wrench for the BB nut.

As a bit of a novice when it comes to wrenching, what else do I need? And can anyone recommend a good 3/8inch torque wrench, Campagnolo recommend 70nM for the bb - really? That much? Thanks ......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    That's all you need in terms of special tools.

As to the torque wrench, I don't have any specific brand recommendations, but feel that a flex beam type is the better choice for those not needing to do lots of work at the same torque.

Also, if you're planning to use it for the BB, first find the socket for the BBT-5, then buy the torque wrench. I say that because that'll be a fairly large socket, and may not exist as a 3/8" drive. Or, you can also buy a 3/8" to 1/2" drive adapter, if needed.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Big Lever

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Kev
    About to change my 2003...
    So this thing has been in there for seven years? You may find that it does not come out as easily as you hope. The splines are pretty easy to strip out so be careful. I think you can use the crank arm bolt and a thick rubber washer to help hold the lockring tool in place. Remember the threads are different.

If things are not coming out smoothly you might want to take it to your LBS and pay them a few bucks to remove the old BB.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    yeah it has been in there for seven years and it's done well. Just need to replace it now ... thanks for comments guys ....

old school drop out
    The tools that you have are all you need. I've installed many BBs and have never used a torque wrench for them. They need to be tight. Use your adjustable wrench and tighten the BB with the bike out of the stand with both wheels on the ground, and apply a lot of pressure.

Also use grease on the threads when you reinstall it, and if there's significant resistance when you're installing the new BB, back it out and start over - don't cross-thread the new BB and damage the frame.

Removing the old cups is always the hardest part. Make sure that you're turning them the right direction, and use a breaker bar if needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I've installed many BBs and have never used a torque wrench for them. They need to be tight.
    The Campy fixed cup has an aluminum flange, and if you over-torque the BB you can crack that flange (speaking from experience). Under-torque and you run the risk of premature creaking noises. A quality torque wrench (like a Sears Craftsman) is a great addition to the tool kit, especially when you want 70 n-m as Campy specifies.