Thread: Red Etap

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Red Etap

Just fitted it, Most OK, BUT, cant get it to change up from 11 to 12, when I adjust it to go up, it will not come back down 12 to 11, tried every combination of wheels / cassettes, all the same, with and with out spacer, front change good, nearly as good as Super Record EPS, but to be fair, ive not hit the road. any answers.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony west View Post
    Just fitted it, Most OK, BUT, cant get it to change up from 11 to 12, when I adjust it to go up, it will not come back down 12 to 11, tried every combination of wheels / cassettes, all the same, with and with out spacer, front change good, nearly as good as Super Record EPS, but to be fair, ive not hit the road. any answers.
    Hard to say w/o seeing your bike in person but I do know that the limit screws on etap derailleurs out of the box are pretty much screwed all the way out. If your high limit hasn't been adjusted the derailleur is starting from a position that past the 11 cog and won't be able to make it to the 12. Make sure you properly adjust both of the limit crews. This system works VERY well, in over 2 years of working with I've had exactly zero problems.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for reply, I build, repair carbon, and have built many many bikes, all top line, so know all about limit screws, I may not have put correctly in post, but, yes gets up to 26 and comes down from 26 until it gets to 12, then makes all grating trying to get 11, adjust to get onto 11, then will not go back up 12, yes if I press the leaver again it jumps to the 3 or 4 cog, then I can bring it back to 12, but no 11, unless I go up again to 3 or 4 cog then dump, it falls into 11, but will not come back up, adjust limit so it will get up to 12, but then while on 11 clicking and grinding as though limit screw is badly adjusted, click to 12 bastard will not come back down, this is on a limited Mclaren with ENVE wheels, which I just stripped a perfectly good sram red mechanical system, and if you know your bikes, is all internal, I contacted the shop, they directed me to sram tec department, they dont seem to be in any rush to help,

In fact, im certain the mech is not moving enough, the second hand on my watch has more movement, ive had nothing but good reports on this set up, why me gets a doggy one. ive all the Dura-ace DI2 10-11, Super record EPS superb, Dura-ace 9000, very good, I only changed because of the Click Clack of double tap
    Regards T again thanks for reply, if I sound tetchy, its because I am P---d off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Ive repaired for racers, I fell of a skateboard, and have had some guns to make toe,s twitch, including 2 pump,s, one being a Winchester, the other Mossberg riot police (USA) 10 , bloody good job I dont have them now, id have shot the hell out of this etap

Well, I don't have any other advice for you, it's just not possible for me to say anything without seeing your bike. Those limit screws are the only problems I've seen people have when they set up their own bikes. Hopefully you get it sorted soon. Where are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for your time, but have had no reply from sram, so ive said, will leave it till after weekend, then strip from bike, send back for refund,
    insidently, ive had Independent. tech look at it, in his opinion, the mech is not moving enough to move from 11 to 12, and the other way,

Where about,s are you, id love you to take a look. im in surrey.

regards Tony.

Thanks for your time, but have had no reply from sram, so ive said, will leave it till after weekend, then strip from bike, send back for refund,
    insidently, ive had Independent. tech look at it, in his opinion, the mech is not moving enough to move from 11 to 12, and the other way,

Where about,s are you, id love you to take a look. im in surrey.

regards Tony.
    Since I'm not in the UK, that's not gonna happen. Why are you returning it? Have a local shop call SRAM UK and see what they have to say. Seems weird that you're giving up on it so quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Seems weird, ive done all that, shop directed me to Sram Tech department, 3 emails and nothing, not even saying they,ve received emails, just ignored me, so ive gone back to shop, they say they will wring them, but as ive said to shop, the instructions say nothing about stop screws, I got that off Utube, I did the same as the chap on there, unless there,s a tweek on the Dongle, the bloody dongle doesn't work, well not on any of my computers, & ive got 5, so if your not in this country, thats that, will let you know what happens,

regards Tony. UK, sadly, dreadful country, over full, stinking weather, foul government,s, **** road conditions ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Deleted

In over 2 years there's never been an update so no need for the dongle. I've probably built at least 50 bikes w/ etap and every one is fine. I suppose it's definitely possible for one to be 'bad' but it would be kinda strange as they all get built w/ the same parts. They all get tested.
    In the USA SRAM tech support is amazing. It's responsible for Shimano pickup their warranty game, which used to suck and is now damn good. The one thing is that they pretty much insist on dealing w/ the shop not the customer. I have no idea how it is in the UK but I'm a little hesitant to think that your shop is handling this the right way. THEY should probably call SRAM UK and talk to them about the issue, not you. If this problem happened here they'd go through all of the possible problems w/ the shop mechanic and if none of them fixed the issue they'd no doubt replace the derailleur no problem.
    That said, I don't think it's set up correctly...but since I can't put my hands on it I'll never know for sure. I know everyone think they have their bikes set up correctly but I spend all day every day fixing bikes that are messed up. I don't doubt only your ability, I doubt everyone other than about 10-15 guys in the USA.

Get me to In&Out
    I think what cx is getting at is that the cage has a range of motion. If you set the limit screw for either wrong, you could be limiting its full motion range. Is it possible you set the 26 limit screw with it in the wrong index position or the 11 in the wrong index position. I don't mean to say stupid suggestions that are obvious, but having built hundreds of bikes, I have caught myself tightening a shift cable one shift off. Sometimes the obvious gets missed in trouble shooting.

The only other time i have had had fits with indexing is from improper chain length/tension, or a b-screw set wrong. I have found newer systems are getting pretty damn picky with chain length. Bent hanger would be my last thought of things that give me fits sometimes. Best of luck with tech support.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Bit late, but thanks for comment, all sorted, seems my gear hanger on Mclaren was too thick, so pushed mech out to fare, brought it in line with limit screws which then closed down movement (as you said) machined it now OK, work fine, but I think the system is too delicate and fine lined, one crash or bike falls over, it knackered (on the road) cant just get it in line with screws (As on other ,s)(or control box) no wonder pros go for another bike, Just as an aside, and to get our expert beating his chest, Sram dont make a 4 arm chainset, but ive got one, lets say PROTO TypeRed Etap-wp_20170801_23_13_20_pro.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    It was gear hanger to thick, so brought it back with limit screws, with all complication,s that created, ??, seems a bit limited, any idea what to do, if bike gets knocked over on run, away from home, and hanger gets bent,??

It was gear hanger to thick, so brought it back with limit screws, with all complication,s that created, ??, seems a bit limited, any idea what to do, if bike gets knocked over on run, away from home, and hanger gets bent,??
    What you're saying is that after all the claims of your derailleur being adjusted properly, it wasn't...and you fixed it by adjusting it properly? Is that right?

If it happens on the road you do the same exact thing you'd do if it were any other derailleur. You don't shift into the large cog, you might try to align the hanger so it's more straight by hand. It's no different because it's etap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    No, the hanger was too thick, (No idea why) so had to machine it down so the mech hung in the correct position, then readjusted limit screws,

Bend it straight on the road by hand, all sounds a bit hammer & nails, And yes it is different, normally would just get it back in line (ruffly) with barrel screw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Im trying to be friendly, and pass on info to others that maybe having the same problems, you just seem to be making assumptions and picking on the bits that fit for your fight,
    here,s your chance to beat your chest again,

Reference back to FRIENDLY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone come up with an idea for securing the battery,s on Etap,
    I do a few shows (UK) stuff goes missing, trust me, they,l go, so easy to remove,
    Yes I could remove them,sellotape them in, ???