RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Reliable Source for NOS Groupsets?

I am looking to possibly put together a steel relaxed geometry road bike and am OK with older 10 speed or even 9 speed groupsets. I am attracted to Campy by it's allure but also OK with Shimano and SRAM, in fact I currently have mid-1990s Shimano Ultegra on my current road bike with Campy rims.

I am based in the US but am also OK with ordering from a European vendor. I am hoping to get a significant discount by going for a discontinued groupset. I will need a complete groupset plus middle of the road rims.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    NOS stuff doesn't go at significantly discounted prices. The older it gets, the more you'll pay. The only discounts you might find are when a group transitions to a newer version (e.g. when 105 goes 11-speed).

My advice for an older steel bike is to buy a Campy Athena group in silver, and spend an extra $75 to upgrade the shifters to Chorus. The silver version of Athena looks really classic. It'll suit an older steel bike nicely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    why upgrade the shifters. the reason I ask is that I have a bike I bought last year with the Athena 11 sp. group. I cannot tell any difference in performance between record 10 and the Athena shifter's performance.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    why upgrade the shifters. the reason I ask is that I have a bike I bought last year with the Athena 11 sp. group. I cannot tell any difference in performance between record 10 and the Athena shifter's performance.
    What year Athena was it? When the new Athena came out in 2010, it had ultrashift shifters. They allow you to shift several gears with one lever or button action. The lower end powershift stuff does not allow that. Its one click, one gear. So basically, the Athena shifters in the initial 2010 offering were the same as Chorus shifters. In 2011 and later, Athena got the less desirable powershift shifters, basically the same as Centuar. I have a bike with 2010 Athena. I built my wife up one with 2012 Athena, but upgraded the shifters to Chorus for less than $100. They function identically to my Athena shifters, but feel a bit smoother. For less than $100, it s a well worthwhile upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I second the opinion to buy Athena 11 and save yourself a lot of headache. Compare prices at Ribble(UK), Wiggle(UK), Velomine(US), and Lickbike(US)... all carry some NOS.

2006 and earlier is rarely available besides the used market. For best compatibility building a ten speed group, only buy 2004+ and focus on Chorus or Record as the Centaur line jumps around a lot.

An ideal budget build would look like this, based on some of the prices I've seen while collecting parts over the last year for a similar build:

Cranks:
    2004 Centaur sq. taper crank w/ bottom bracket NOS $60. I ended up picking up a 2010 UT Centaur crank with minimal ware for $50 on ebay. Ideally, if you go UT Centaur you want to find a 2007-2008 model which used higher end chainrings. If I were starting over, I'd find an Athena 11spd UT crank (2010) which uses the better chain rings as there are still a few floating around NOS for a good price. UT>PT and newer cranks are mostly power-torque (PT)... either way, you need to buy the cups which are an additional $30. I should have just grabbed the sq. taper crank and saved some money (and have better more waterproof seals).

FD:
    You can get an Athena 11spd on Amazon for about $30 at the moment. I bought a Centaur 10spd on ebay $30 + shipping from UK turned into about $50. 2009-2010 Centaur 10speed is an up to date design and available in plain alloy... newer models are painted black; older models are a dated design (and still the current Veloce design). Mirage/Veloce/Centaur/Escape QS has a longer arm for cable attachment but is essentially useless; if you find you need a QS FD, you can pick up a spare part for $10 to get the correct leverage so I wouldn't worry about it either way. Best to get a 2009 or newer Centaur or better FD.

RD: As far as I know everything is interchangeable up to the 2011+ Veloce/Centaur brifters which require the newer Veloce/Centaur RDs. I just went with a mid 2000s Chorus RD for around $150 used.

Ergo: Daytona or Centaur up to 2006; avoid Centaur 2007 QS, 2008 QS, and 2009 (early models). 2010 Centaur is good but hard to find. 2011+ Centaur is the redesign. 2010 Athena is good (but 11spd) and 2011+ Athena is redesign. Any ten speed Record/Chorus will work... the "QS" moniker in relation to Record and Chorus is essentially meaningless and can be ignored. If you want the alloy levers, good luck... they are incredibly hard to come by unless you buy the newer veloce or athena. Take a look at the Campy subforum on here for a recent discussion on part-swapability. You can get a pair of QS Chorus Ergos for about $200 NOS. If you get a newer Veloce 10speed Ergo, it can be had for about $100 new but you will need to get a current Veloce RD (probably what I'd do if starting over).

Hubs: Campy 9&10 are interchangeable. Centaur/Chorus/Record use the same bearings. Still available NOS but go for at minimum $200 a set. Newer hubs only available as Record and are only avail in black.

To keep it simple:
    Option A: buy a current Veloce (10) or Athena (11) groupset. Possibly swap out shifter core for ultra-shift version... or just buy carbon Chorus (11) Ergos as suggested by someone else, above.
    Option B: buy current Veloce RD and Ergo, 2009-10 Centaur FD, 2010 Athena crank (and use 11speed rings or replace with 10speed thickness for optimal fit)
    Option C: buy older 10speed Ergo and RD... you gain the multiple shift but are unlikely to find silver alloy.
    Last edited by headloss; 06-14-2013 at 01:22 PM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Eddy Merckx frame I bought on ebay and built up for my wife with Campy Athena (+ Chorus shifters).

Reliable Source for NOS Groupsets?-built-eddy.jpgName:  CK eddy 0.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  20.6 KB